The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Rancor as a PC [Fluffy]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> A Rancor as a PC [Fluffy] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aardon24689
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the whole thread, besides being glad to know where Fluffy comes from I am disturbed by one line.

Endwyn wrote:
... Were not talking about tasting babies, were talking about testing adolence aged animals or older. ...

Now, I'm not one to pick on anyone about spelling mistakes. But if that is really what Fluffy has been doing I want no part of it.

EDIT: Had to fix a typo. Very Happy
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that it's taken me this long to discover this thread. Where have I been since June!?

Anyway, this really makes me want to do a comedy campaign.

Can Fluffy get a jetpack?
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they'd be a bit small but I don't see why Fluffy can't have rocket skates! Laughing
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked the basic concept of a Dath Rancor as a PC simply because it's so goofy. They're too big for most games, though. So... We have a number of options... One, make the Rancor PC a genetic dwarf. I use this option a lot of with really large species and I use the GURPS game to decide how short the character is. In GURPS, if you have a character who is a genetic dwarf, you figure his height as normal (which is based off of strength in GURPS, but that has no bearing on D6 Star Wars) and then reduce said height by 60%. A Dathomirian Rancor's height ranges from 8 to 10 meters, with an apparent average of 9 meters. Reducing that by 60% results in a range of 3.2 to 4 meters with an average of 3.6 meters or about 11'8". You're STILL going to be crawling on hands and knees to get around most freighters, but at least you'll fit now.

But what will this do to your magnificent body? Well, most human genetic dwarves have difficulty with physical dexterity and strength, so I can see dropping the minimums and maximums for both of those stats by at least 1D, maybe 2D. This will yield a range of either 3D-5D or 2D-4D Dexterity (hardly unbalancing) and either 4D-6D or 5D-7D Strength (Tough, but manageable. Drop the bits about uprooting trees and tossing boulders for Walker Scale damage entirely. The skin of a human dwarf is just as tough as the skin of a normal human, so I see no reason to reduce the armor of a dwarf Rancor. The tooth and claw damage could be dropped down one or two dice, though.

Another option to consider is to homebrew another Rancor variant that's smaller than Dathomirian Rancors and thus somewhat weaker.

Finally, on the subject of Rancor sapience (NOT sentience... Flatworms are sentient. Humans are sapient. Big difference.) I think the scene in the novel where an entire battle line of Rancors carrying maces and halberds and wearing armor pretty much clears it up for me. A gorilla might, in a rage, rip up a rock or a small sapling to bash an opponent, but only a human or other sapient being would form up into a battle line with a number of others of its kind and present a phalanx defense.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluffy was the runt of his litter, and is small and cute for his species. (Fluffy is his real name, given to him by his Mother.). This is why he can fit into (Larger) Freighters.

As for the Jet Pack thing...

"DRIX! What the Sithspit is going on? I just got off the Comm with Airtraffic Control demanding to know why we have a Flying Rancor!"

*Buzzing and Clicking*

"What do you mean Fluffy got the idea from a Clone Wars HoloDrama? Which one?"

*Buzz-Click-Click*

"FLIGHT OF THE GREENTROOPERS!!! The Skytroopers Squadron!"

*Buzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

"And you set something up for him?"

*Click Click*

"You used a Jet Engine from a Speeder you just had LYING AROUND and created a jet-pack for him..."

*Snap*

"Drix, I know Verpines have issues with this, so I'm going to explain it. Again. Just because you *CAN* do something, doesn't mean you should. And where'd he learn to fly?"

*CRASH*

"I take it noone taught him how to land, either, eh?"
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Been a while since I've seen a post from you, Ray.

Hilarious as always! Razz
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been busy, with a dead 'puter, and other issues. Sad

And a distinct lack of gaming, which causes other issues with me. Crying or Very sad

They're starting to level out now. So hopefully will post more.

Had to trash a lot of my ideas for a Fluffy Storyline, 'cause they made no sense, but still working on it.

Might even come up with more speeders. Smile
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, when did it become a bad thing for a storyline to make no sense?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I write it.

It got weird in some points, I think mobile shrubberies with E-Webs were involved.

That's just too little sense.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were they nice ones? With little white fences?

NI!!!

Razz
Aardon24689
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but they were mobile so they so they could make a little path in the middle.

A PATH! A PATH!
Reyus Graven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:

Get a rancor to write a poem, THAN I shall beleive it can be a PC.
Get a rancor to question it's life.
Get a rancor to do anything exclusively human. Something that not even a trained Gorilla or Dolphin can do. And THAN show me the rancor that can imagine and do it all by himself.

The problem with being human is that we assume something has to think like a human in order to be sentient is kind silly. Just because something thinks and rationalizes differently doesn't mean it lacks any form of sentient. Sure a Rancor hasn't written roses are red.....But you would also have to understand that many things like that are a result of culture too. Rancors by and far haven't been intelligent long enough to start any form of culture.

I would say that a creature capable of reading and writing any form of basic symbols would be a sign of sentience, not strong but there. The Rancor has everything he needs to move forward. It has apposeable thumbs, a written language, and basic construction skills. They would have been like us during our more baser stages of life. Though as a PC it would be like spaceman fighting alongside a caveman (granted a giant caveman).

For balance sake I wouldn't let a player play this (especialy with some of the people I game with) but I wouldn't rule such a thing out for some of my better players. Sadly though the amount of back story, preperations, and logistics to take care of him would be harsh, but an interesting thing to challenge the players in handling. A Rancor as a comrade would be expensive....
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason that Fluffy's on a Medium Freighter that's been modified to handle more people than it used to. Wink
Reyus Graven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Fluffy Reply with quote

I can only imagine the size of fluffy's Spacepuffs cereal box would be. Never mind doing his dishes....

I did thing that perhaps if a player was set on playing a Rancor they could manage to find a rancor that was more of a runt. Smaller guy could'nt take a domanant role in their society so it spent more time learning how to speak and communicate with the Dothmarian Witches. Then you have a not so ungodly unstoppable monster that could better communicate with outsiders and might be able to atleast be able to enter and leave most freighter doors and Docking bay cargo loading docks Very Happy.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fluffy Reply with quote

Reyus Graven wrote:
I can only imagine the size of fluffy's Spacepuffs cereal box would be. Never mind doing his dishes....

Never mind that...I'd flat out REFUSE to be the one cleaning his refresher! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: