The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Rancor as a PC [Fluffy]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> A Rancor as a PC [Fluffy] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Ray, you cheat.... Wink

http://swagonline.net/view.php?photo_id=873&screen=52&action=&keyword=&date=&type=search
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, who made Fluffy a Jedi?

Wanted Poster
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Fluffy, as I know him, is not the one depicted in the picture.

Fluffy is actually a very common Rancor name. Kind of like Robert in English societies.
Cazziuz
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no... when my gamemaster sees this, we will be hunted by rancor space pirats...

And another thing.. I'm playing a medic in oure game, and what was the first thing i noticed about the stats? In theory a rancor can do first aid!

Mouth to mouth anybody?
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all wrong. Just sick and wrong.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong about it, the CTD sadly says nothing about Dathomirian Rancors having to be NPCs. So it's really up to the GM. Besides, Fluffy's a great character. And Crol could be intresting.

Wanted Poster
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluffy giving Mouth-To-Mouth would get my heart going again right quick.

And my feet, too!
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot accept Rancor as sentient, since they have yet to demonstrate the mental faculties greater than that of a dog, pig, gorrilla, and dolphin.

I would allow one in my game so long as the player understood the following:
1) You are playing an animal. Not a sentient creature. Act accordingly. You can never choose to grow beyond what you are, you must be trained by a sentient creature capable of dynamic thought. You are not capable of dynamic thought, philosophy, choosing to better yourself (your instincts say you are just fine) and anything else of sentient sillyness.

2) One of the other PCs owns you. And they are required to keep you under control somehow. The three of us are going to have to work this out, since the possibilites here are endless... and the fun begins here since this is the very start of character interaction.

3) I like to do things in threes.

Knowing all of this, you can begin to make your Rancor PC in one of my games.

I had similar rules when a person asked to play a wolf.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen one, yes ONE gm who allowed someone to play a rancor pc. Because of it, he had to step up the opposition, to using walkers and even stargfighter support to actually damage Grgo (the rancors name).... BUT with that damage coming around any pc hit would be dead other than Grgo...

Me personally, i would never allow them as pcs.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with garhkal, they shoul dnot be allowed as PCs. They are too unbalanced for a good game, and even with heavy restrictions on growth and advancement, they will throw the odds out of whack. There are also the further issues of transport, passage, feeding, cleaning up after them, and permits for transport of a dangerous life form. I feel many starports would have such a beast impounded for exile or termination as they are too dangerous.
Skaff Toxian
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed KageRyu. A Rancor as a PC is VERY unrealistic.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't allow one as a PC unless the campaign was special and that kind of PC strangely fit in. But I would not hamper the player with restrictions of the Rancor being non-sentient and unable to grow. It's the player's choice on how smart they want their rancor to be. If they chose 0D, they are complete animal, complete instinct. If they chose +1 or +2 then they are a smarter animal, but obviously not brilliant. If they took the 1D KNO, then they can think and function...not well, but on the level of person we would call mentally challenged. They would have lots of challenges, but can learn.

As far as being owned, yeah, that's gonna happen. There's lots of care and special needs. Too much to work in a regular campaign.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
I cannot accept Rancor as sentient, since they have yet to demonstrate the mental faculties greater than that of a dog, pig, gorrilla, and dolphin.

They appear to do so pretty well in Courtship of Princess Leia, which is one of the books CTD covers.

Wanted Poster
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really well-bred ones (Who were bred up using The Force as the Witches of Dathomir understand it) are a touch smarter than Gorrillas. Not much, mind, but they have sign language down, and can build simple things.

Complex items are right out, so no Starfighter Piloting (If you can find a Snubfighter they can fit in. But it's a big Galaxy, there might be a race as big as they are!), but they're only slightly less intelligent than Ewoks, and almost every group has had a few of those around.

Bomba, the Uber-NPC Ewok, was one of the best gunners on the "Hood" for my GMs favorite group of NPCs.

'Course, he did need a phone book to reach the gunnery controls...
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don;t attribute mental faculties with sentience. Dolphins are clearly freakin geniuses. 5d max across the board, strength and dex too.
And I already said the Rancor has yet to do anything a Gorilla can't. How is a Rancor doing what Gorillas can do mean that they are smarter than Gorillas.

Get a rancor to write a poem, THAN I shall beleive it can be a PC.
Get a rancor to question it's life.
Get a rancor to do anything exclusively human. Something that not even a trained Gorilla or Dolphin can do. And THAN show me the rancor that can imagine and do it all by himself.

Sign language... animals can already speak to each other, making them bi-lingual is a paltry trick.

Mechanical skills? Is pushing a button that hard? There is a chimp at the MIT instiute that speaks through a Lap-top like Stephen Hawking. Gorillas can drive there own golf carts if you spend enough time getting past the language barrier.

It is the ability to go beyond your needs, to choose to do something not in your program, and the ability to reprogram, that makes you human. A human evaluates itself, has worries, fears, hopes, aspirations.

The rancor character... I am sorry, but you don't understand why happy things make people cry. You don't understand why the two old people depend upon each other, have been friends for years, and are choosing death over friendship all of the sudden. You don't understand most of the things that make people great, and make them fall. Neither did C-3P0 or R2. Of course R2 chose not to question it, while 3P0 whined.
It is the same syndrome Data faces on Star Trek. He is programmed to aspire, and write new programs... and even that doesn't change him enough to make him human.
to finance my 'vette!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: