The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rebuilding WEG collection: supplement game value?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Rebuilding WEG collection: supplement game value? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluMax
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding WEG collection: supplement game value? Reply with quote

Years ago, practically my whole Star Wars D6 collection was wiped out in a basement sewage flood. Sad, but now I'm thinking which supplements should I track down and re-purchase? Which have held their value, not as collector items, but as actual game material? Which do you find yourself using most often, if any? Which have inspired the most adventure ideas?

This is likely an oft-asked question, but I thought I would take advantage of a community of true D6 gurus. Some claim on other boards that all you really need beyond the core rules is GG6: Tramp Freighters and/or the original 1987 Sourcebook. Thank you in advance!
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick search of Ebay will show you that the ones selling typically sell for between -$10 and +$10 over cover price. There are a number of listings higher both there and on Amazon (and other sites), but the "sold recently" stuff trends toward that range.

As far as specific units to replace, I personally think (having come here just recently) that you can get by with only fan-made + REUP and perhaps a GM screen/book. Many of the pdfs here (particularly from Gry) have the relevant stats sourced from D6 and D20 books. So in terms of tracking down particular sourcebooks, it would primarily depend on your specific group/campaign.

That said, I don't have the GG6 or either version of the Star Wars Sourcebook and so can't speak to the value either of those books have.

To close this comment, I'm going to say that my favorite books have been Imperial Sourcebook (2e), Pirates and Privateers, and Rules of Engagement: Specforces. But that's a personal preference thing, and I have a number of others based on player desires, my own fluff love, and the fact that I picked up something like 9 books at $2 a piece new in 2001 on clearance.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an age old question, and I love it. Partly because we get to talk about our favorite books, but also one's own GM'ing style is revealed in the collection of "most valuable resources." Particularly as value is not held in dollars, but in use at the game table.

I don't know how Lulu has affected this conversation, since we haven't had it in a while, and as JironGhrad said, easily printable REUP and stat books are available.

Though I would say my most valuable items and most used resources have been:

The R&E
Tales of the Jedi Companion (for the Force Powers and lightsaber construction rules)
GG6: Tramp Freighters (all the wonderful ship modification rules)
GG:10 Bounty Hunters (mostly for the gear, and inspiration for bounty hunter NPCs)
Pirates and Privateers (again, mostly for inspiration for NPCs, and pirate tactices than for a privateer campaign).

I think I could do at least 70% of my GM'in with just those resources.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding WEG collection: supplement game value? Reply with quote

BluMax wrote:
Years ago, practically my whole Star Wars D6 collection was wiped out in a basement sewage flood.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

BluMax wrote:
Sad, but now I'm thinking which supplements should I track down and re-purchase? Which have held their value, not as collector items, but as actual game material? Which do you find yourself using most often, if any? Which have inspired the most adventure ideas?

These are probably my favorites...

1988 Battle for the Golden Sun 40-page paperback adventure w/ color Aquatic Imperial Garrison schematics poster

1989 Scavenger Hunt 40-page paperback adventure w/ color Lambda-class Shuttle schematics poster

1989 Crisis on Cloud City 40-page paperback adventure w/ Sabacc card game

1990 Black Ice 40-page paperback adventure

1994 Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races (Second Edition) 96-page paperback supplement

1994 Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters (Second Edition) 96-page paperback supplement including Minos Sector sourcefile + campaign

1994 Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (Second Edition) 144-page hardcover

1994 The Star Wars Sourcebook (Second Edition) 144-page hardcover

1995 Heroes and Rogues 128-page paperback player supplement

1996 The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook (NR) 248-page paperback compiling the 3 sourcebooks for the novel trilogy: Heir to the Empire (updated to second edition), Dark Force Rising & The Last Command

1996 Classic Adventures: Volume Three 96-page paperback compiling 3 first edition adventures updated to second edition: Tatooine Manhunt, Riders of the Maelstrom, and Death in the Undercity

1996 Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, Second Edition, Revised and Expanded 288-page hardcover

1996 Star Wars Gamemaster Screen, Revised 64-page supplement w/ reference screens

1997 Star Wars: Introductory Adventure Game box set with 4 paperback booklets, 64 color adventure cards, 7 maps, 3 sheets of cut-out stand-up characters, and 6 dice. Booklets include Character Sheets, Players Booklet, Narrator Booklet, and Adventure Book (6 adventures)

1997 Lords of the Expanse box set with a Sector Guide, Gamemaster Guide, Campaign Guide, Sector poster map, 16 full-color adventure cards, and 6 dice

1997 Rules of Engagement: The Rebel SpecForce Handbook 128-page paperback supplement

1997 The Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook: Special Edition 192-page hardcover

1997 Players Guide to Tapani 64-page paperback supplement

1997 Platt's Smuggler's Guide 96-page paperback players supplement with 24 adventure cards

1997 Mos Eisley Adventure Set box set with 32-page adventure booklet, Galaxy Guide 7, full-color poster map of Mos Eisley, Mos Eisley Shoot-Out miniature scenario, 12 metal miniatures, and 6 dice

1998 Classic Adventures: Volume Five 126-page paperback compiling 3 first edition adventures updated to second edition: Strike Force: Shantipole, Starfall, and The Game Chambers of Questal

1998 Alien Encounters 184-page paperback supplement
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Cheshire said, Tales of the Jedi is excellent. And I totally agree with Whill about the Lords of the Expanse box/player guide.

I also happen to really like the Darkstryder campaign set (starter box and 3 suppliments).
BluMax
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the input so far. I know from the thread above that Whill has practically every WEG SW product made (!). I must have last played in the mid-nineties or so, as I don't even recognize some of these supplements - e.g. the introductory box set sounds neat, and even a little ahead of its time.

One product I will be re-acquiring is the Han Solo/Corporate Sector Sourcebook, mostly because of my love for the source material.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluMax wrote:
I know from the thread above that Whill has practically every WEG SW product made (!)

I have all second edition releases + all first edition releases not rereleased in second edition form + all core rule books. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

death star technical companion
craken's rebel field guide
galaxy guide eight, nine and eleven
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Bare essentials Reply with quote

I run 1E, mostly as written. My short list of most-used items includes
  • Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, 1E
  • Star Wars Sourcebook, 1E
  • Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races, 1E
  • Tatooine Manhunt adventure, with cantina poster
I retain a shelf full of other WEG material, mostly for inspiration if not for actual game material. In my current campaign, I've yet to need any game product aside from the rulebook. SW:FA, SW:Rebels, and a group of nutty players leave me plenty inspired.
BluMax
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no-one minds, I'll keep this thread going with mini-capsule reviews as I replenish my collection. Received a number of SW RPG products yesterday, ordered from ebay:

Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts
. I remember owning this one! No enlightened Prime Directive here; exploration in this supplement seems to exist on primarily a corporate level - find new resources, exploit them for profit. If the resources are on an inhabited world, the ethics of the scouts can lead to a treaty, or slavery! Also, I see it updates the system creation system from Planets, volume I; I'm glad to have it as I used to have endless fun with it.

Part of a big lot:

The Far Orbit Project. First time I've seen this one - a thick meaty book packed with background, stats and adventure scenarios. There seems to be an artist I don't recognize with a rough-hewn almost impressionistic style that I kinda like. I don't have Pirates & Privateers so I may have to track one down to fully use this material.

Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments From the Rim. I had this one, kind of a potpourri of elements that can be woven into games. Decent overall - I like some of the characters, wish the swoop gang section was bigger. One section - pop music in the Star Wars universe - seems almost like a gag with bands like 'Boba Fett and the Assassin Droids'. Mike Vilardi's quality line art throughout.

More to come.

Last edited by BluMax on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluMax wrote:
If no-one minds, I'll keep this thread going with mini-capsule reviews as I replenish my collection.

...More to come.

Please do!

BluMax wrote:
Mike Vilardi's quality line art throughout.

My fave WEG Star Wars artist for sure.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably not a popular option, but as a newcomer I’ve limited myself to First Edition. I like the “liteness” of its gameplay; I like the relative inexpensiveness its products on the secondhand market; I like giving myself a cutoff so I’m not forever collecting and mining but rather just take the plunge sooner rather than later.
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluMax wrote:
The Far Orbit Project. First time I've seen this one - a thick meaty book packed with background, stats and adventure scenarios. There seems to be an artist I don't recognize with a rough-hewn almost impressionistic style that I kinda like. I don't have Pirates & Privateers so I may have to track one down to fully use this material.

You definitely want Pirates and Privateers for max value with Far Orbit. It puts the entire book into context imo.
BluMax
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
This is probably not a popular option, but as a newcomer I’ve limited myself to First Edition. I like the “liteness” of its gameplay; I like the relative inexpensiveness its products on the secondhand market; I like giving myself a cutoff so I’m not forever collecting and mining but rather just take the plunge sooner rather than later.

I can respect that, there seems to be a significant proportion of D6ers who prefer 1st edition. But, it also seems that 2e produced a lot more content, maybe 2 or 3x 1e? Not that I need it all, but too much for me to ignore!

Speaking of which, I just received a gently used copy of: Cracken's Rebel Field Guide. It's from 1991, but seems like it would be compatible with either edition. One of my favorites, I just like the thought put into 'how things work' and how authentic it feels.
BluMax
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more from the recent lot:

Tales of the Jedi Companion: Recommended by a few folks upthread, a profusely illustrated hardback with color plates. I remember the Dark Horse series on which it is based, full of action and exotic locations that captured the Star Wars feeling well, despite being set thousands of years before ANH. Lots of good info, and the expanded Force Power list is useful. Glad to have it back!

Creatures of the Galaxy: according to the intro, WEG asked for artists to conceptualize alien beasties, then assigned writers to develop background, a reversal of sorts. So, easily 100+ critters of all shapes and sizes are described and illustrated. I like this book, though the game value is a little questionable. Most of the creatures are native to one world, so unless heroes visit that world the chances of encountering one seem remote. Of course, in true "Monster Manual" tradition, a GM a can always reskin the stats as needed.

Alliance Intelligence Reports: Describing a number of organizations and individuals, this is basically an NPC/adventure seed supplement. They went out of their way to show that the galaxy is filled with potential opponents who are not the Empire (or even Hutts). I like most of them, the personalities seem distinctive; I especially like the Ithorian pirate twins - talk about playing against type!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: