The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jakku
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Jakku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Jakku Reply with quote

So anyone wanna hazard a guess where Jakku from TFA is on the galactic map?
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall aid you in your quest by linking you to the Visual Dictionary map which I overlaid upon the Atlas Map that!

Click here to view and magnify at will!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hisham wrote:
I shall aid you in your quest by linking you to the Visual Dictionary map which I overlaid upon the Atlas Map that!

Click here to view and magnify at will!

Thanks for sharing this Hish!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILER RANT: This makes my head hurt! Are they REALLY trying to say that the destruction of Hosnian Prime could be seen with the naked eye in REALTIME from HALFWAY ACROSS THE F#@ING GALAXY?!?!?! I never thought I would miss the chaos of the old EU, but I am REALLY starting to hate Disney Wars! This makes the superweapon of the month club look downright inviting by comparison.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: highlight to read spoliers Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
SPOILER RANT: This makes my head hurt! Are they REALLY trying to say that the destruction of Hosnian Prime could be seen with the naked eye in REALTIME from HALFWAY ACROSS THE F#@ING GALAXY?!?!?! I never thought I would miss the chaos of the old EU, but I am REALLY starting to hate Disney Wars! This makes the superweapon of the month club look downright inviting by comparison.

Dialogue in TFA stated the Starkiller was a "hyperlight weapon". At first I thought they just meant that it was lightspeed-capable like the original Death Star, but actually the energy beams fired are faster-than-light space-time disruptions traveling through a dimension called sub-hyperspace that create a rip in hyperspace, making the targets' destruction visible to all planets all over the galaxy simultaneously. So the Starkiller didn't have to move to destroy planets. It drains the power of stars, and either that awesome power would be used to move a planet through hyperspace to its targets, or it can create disruptions in real and hyperspace.

Death Stars are the size of moons but they can move at lightspeed through hyperspace, but what is their power source? "Hypermatter reactors" that annihilate "hypermatter". Ridiculously fantastic. The Starkiller drains real space stars and fires "hyperlight" energy beams that rip holes in hyperspacetime in such a way that the targets' destruction are temporarily visible all over the galaxy. Not really any less "realistic" from our real world Earth perspective. Unprecedented in Star Wars? As far as I know, yes. Only doing something within the realm of what has already been done before would be boring. Creativity is doing something new, and that by necessity expands the realm of what was previously thought to be "possible" in the SWU. If the Starkiller weren't different it really would just be another Death Star. That would probably be boring to me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but that is the moment Disney Wars jumped the shark for me. I can buy the near absence of communication delays (advances in the Holonet and other communications tech). I can buy a hyperspace weapon that can hit targets from across the galaxy (we've already had that in the EU: see the Galaxy Gun). What I can't accept is that the effects of that weapon would be visible to the naked eye, in real time, across thousands of lightyears of space.

Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Sorry, but that is the moment Disney Wars jumped the shark for me. I can buy the near absence of communication delays (advances in the Holonet and other communications tech). I can buy a hyperspace weapon that can hit targets from across the galaxy. What I can't accept is that the effects of that weapon would be visible to the naked eye, in real time, across thousands of lightyears of space.

Meh. As fans we each have our own tolerances for realism. For example, I usually cringe without comment at most of what I read people describe as 'scientifically realistic'. The effect of a hyperlight weapon being seen is such a minor issue. Fonzy jumping the shark was the focal point to the drama of the Happy Days episode. You take it out you have nothing left in the story. Much more inherent in the plot of TFA is the outrageously unrealistic hyperspace weapon in the first place, which is really not any less realistic than the Death Star annihilating hypermatter. If one had issue with only the effect being seen but actually liked TFA, it would be easy to just say, "I accept TFA as my part of my personal canon except for the effect of the Starkiller being seen across the galaxy."

If you don't like the film anyway, then this very minor aspect will just be added to the laundry list of things to hate on, or over dramatically be defined as the moment Star Wars jumped the shark. Rolling Eyes
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Sorry, but that is the moment Disney Wars jumped the shark for me.

I think you mean, "jumped the 'gooberfish-huuuuuuge-o-teeth!'"
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
Sorry, but that is the moment Disney Wars jumped the shark for me.

I think you mean, "jumped the 'gooberfish-huuuuuuge-o-teeth!'"

LOL. That works, too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: