The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ever thought of importing aliens from games??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Ever thought of importing aliens from games??
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Ever thought of importing aliens from games?? Reply with quote

I am thinking of making a pacifistic race of bugmen based somewhat on the Beetles in Diablo 2 ( Dung Soldier, Death Beetle, Scarab, Steel Scarab, Bone Scarab ).. One of the things i like about that species is how they 'pulse out' electical energy as a defense against getting attacked.

BUT i am trying to think how to rate it for a SW like game.

Would it get treated similar to grenade attacks? Should it have an 'attack rating'??
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with Diablo, so...

Is the ability meant to be passive, or does it require conscious activation?

How big of a radius?

How powerful is the effect? Deadly, or stun only? Can the ability be trained to be more effective (more damage? Bigger radius? Norrow focus? Selective targeting? Etc..)?

Oh, so many questions!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ever thought of importing aliens from games?? Reply with quote

I've never heard of Diablo. Sorry.

garhkal wrote:
Ever thought of importing aliens from games??

Yep, I do that all the time, but they are mostly background aliens and maybe NPCs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tales of the Jedi source book has a pulse-wave weapon. I liken this to what the geonosison (forgive spelling) had in EII.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I'm not familiar with Diablo, so...

Is the ability meant to be passive, or does it require conscious activation?

How big of a radius?

How powerful is the effect? Deadly, or stun only? Can the ability be trained to be more effective (more damage? Bigger radius? Norrow focus? Selective targeting? Etc..)?

Oh, so many questions!

Based on those critters in Diablo, the answers to those are

passive
Radius depends on what is hit, the more 'powerful' the monster (Ie the higher level it is) the greater range
Effect - deadly, but i was going to make this stun only.
Can it be trained - no. Its instinctive to their anatomy. They have no control over it.

I was going to make it where the 5 'subsets' of their society each has their own 'blast range' for when attacked (range attacks such as shooting them only gives a 50% chance of the pulse out occurring, while melee/brawl attacks always make it happen).

Sort of like;
Scarab beettles.. When they are hit they cause an electronic like pulse out to happen, that hits all in the blast radi. The closer one is, the harder it is to dodge out of the effect, and the one HITTING them in melee/brawl gets no chance to avoid it.
Dung soldiers and death beetles require a dodge of 20 to avoid their pulse outs, while those of scarab and steal scarab levels, push the dodge avoidance roll to 25. The Queen bone scarabs force enemies to make a 30 dodge to avoid being struck.

When any of the scarab beetles are struck in combat, it automatically causes a pulse out to occur (Melee and brawl), but the radius and damage level is dependent on their type. For ranged combat, the 3 lower castes cause a pulse out to happen 50% of the time when struck, while the steal scarab level only has it occurring 33% (1-2 on d6) of the time. The bone scarab queens do not have that capability though. No one is sure why.

Fellow scarab beetles are immune to the pulse out of their own kind, but can be affected by those of a higher caste if they cause a pulse out.

The five casts are
Dung, lowest. They are the miners and most seen out side of society. Due to their pacifistic nature, they will turtle up and hope their pulse out ability, neutralizes any attackers. They can never learn offensive combat skills, only defensive (dodge/parry).

Death beetles - These are the warriors of society. The only ones, besides Steal scarabs allowed to take an offensive action (Melee and brawl skill only). They pay 3cp extra for learning/improving any such skill. If they 'default' to an attribute, they suffer a -2 penalty.

Scarabs - Similar to dung, they are pacifistic only and cannot learn any offensive skill, but can Use them if they default to their attribute. Most commonly they have been seen using grenade and fusion cutters if they are forced into combat. They are the builders in scarab beetle society.

Steel scarabs - The negotiators and businessmen of scarab beetle society.
They can learn and use offensive skills, but always pay 2cp extra above what it would otherwise cost, and like Death beetles, suffer a penalty, but only -1 to their attribute if they have to 'default'.

Bone scarabs - the Queens of society, and true leaders. Like with Dung beetles and scarabs, they cannot use or learn offensive skills. But make up for it in that their pulse zone is the most damaging.

Blast radi/damage value
Dung beetle - 0-10/15/20/25. 5d/4d/3d/2d
Death beetle - 0-4/8/12/16. 5d/4d/3d/2d
Scarab - 0-5/10/25/20. 4d/3d+1/2d+2/2d
Steel scarab - 0-2/4/6/9. 5d+2/5d/4d+1/3d+2
Bone Scarab - 0-6/12/18/24. 7d/6d/5d/4d

When a target is hit by a scarab beetle's defensive pulse out they are hit by a stun effect, but only can fall unconscious if they suffer enough stun 'effects' equal to their D in Strength. But suffer 1 such 'stun' per 4 over soak the damage is.

IE a Wookie brawls a Death beetle, and hits him causing an immediate pulse out. The wookie rolls a 14 for his soak, while the death beetle gets a real high roll and causes 25 damage. This gives the wookie 3 'stun effects'. If he is hit for 2 more stuns he will fall unconscious.

PS. The names above are the ones i got from diablo, and would like some help coming up with more SW style names for them...
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neimoidia and their other colony worlds had something called a Sovereign beetle, and the Gunnery Battallion was patterned after something called a 'beetle-knight'.

So placing a world in close vicinity to any of the world with Neimoidia with native beetles might be an idea.

Inspired by a wikipedia walk and perhaps slightly of Farscape, how about Cascareans? Cetonians? Gnorim?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: