The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Purrgil stats?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Purrgil stats?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rollenspiel
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Purrgil stats? Reply with quote

I just watched Star Wars Rebels ep "The Call" featuring these giant, spacefaring quasi-cetacean creatures and wondered if anyone has come up with 2E R&E stats for them. All I've got are a few bullet points, but converting that to hard stats is a bit too challenging for me, as I'm relatively new to the rules.

1) They "feed" on a gas called Clouzon-36 which allows them to breathe in the vacuum of space.

2) The gas also enables them to enter hyperspace. Shocked 8)

3) They appear to be relatively intelligent, social animals.

4) They are sometimes harzards to shipping lanes.

5) They have several prehensile tentacles.

They would be 'starship scale'
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See....

This is what happens when you put a bunch of Disney tycoons in charge of a sci-fi cult classic....

My inner nerd is raging at the notion of a plant-like creature that can "enter" hyperspace, as if it is a "place" or an alternate dimension or some nonsense like that...

Sorry I don't have any stats for ya: I abstain from Rebels because I just don't like it, so I'm ignorant as to its nuances...
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
as if it is a "place" or an alternate dimension or some nonsense like that...

Actually...

I always thought that's exactly what it was. Another 'dimension' or parallel universe where the light speed limit can be broken. Where massive objects in 'real space' create 'shadows' in hyperspace preventing transit through them.

Anyways, 'space whale's have been a part of science -fantasy for a long time....if that's what I'm hearing them described as.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceWhale
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
See....

This is what happens when you put a bunch of Disney tycoons in charge of a sci-fi cult classic....

My inner nerd is raging at the notion of a plant-like creature that can "enter" hyperspace, as if it is a "place" or an alternate dimension or some nonsense like that...

Sorry I don't have any stats for ya: I abstain from Rebels because I just don't like it, so I'm ignorant as to its nuances...

I agree. Its why i have yet to watch rebels, or put much stock in what we see in that tv show, for what should be included in the RPG.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Naaman wrote:
See....

I agree. Its why i have yet to watch rebels, or put much stock in what we see in that tv show, for what should be included in the RPG.

Yeah.

I don't watch it either.

But space whales...are cool. If that's what they are talking about.

I like a fair bit of nautical effects in my space opera.

Ion storms...for sea storms.

Black holes...for whirlpools

Space pirates...for...uh...sea pirates.

Star maps to stashed goods...for treasure maps with X marks the spot

Space slugs...for...sea serpents...

And yeah....fricken Space whales! (or other large-ish space-swimming creatures.)
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe there could be some nebular cloud where there is enough moisture/gas etc.

Then you could have space whales feeding on micrscoppic space plancton and you could have space manta rays crashing into space fairers... just like in Star Fox.

Anyway, to the point of the original post:

I'm not sure of any creatures that are starship scale in RAW.

Not saying it can't be done, though. Its really the appropriate thing to do for space fairing life (anything smaller would be inconsequential to ships zipping though space).

I'm thinking it would need a few thimgs:

A strenght stat (duh).

A maneubering skill, probably under dexterity. This allows it to participate in chases or battles, etc.

Some skill that governs its ability "enter" and remain in hyperspace... perhaps this could be tied to stamina (at least for the duration piece).

They also need some way of limiting their stay time in true vacuum... the need to be able to get more "gas" once in a while (come up for air, so to speak).

Other than standard attributes, that's all I can think of.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starship scale creatures

Space slug episode 5, bigger than a star destroyer
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the episode as well. OK, to try to be fair here...

I've always thought of hyperspace as another universe (coterminous with realspace) where the natural state of things is FTL. What hyperdrives do is open a portal to hyperspace in front of the ship, and the "pressure differential" between the fast hyperspace and the slow realspace "sucks" the realspace ship into it hyperspace and up to FTL speeds. Conversely, when a ship in hyperspace either opens a portal back to realspace in front of the ship or decelerates to below the minimum speed of hyperspace, the ship falls out of hyperspace and the "higher pressure" behind the ship in the quickly closing portal is what decelerates the ship to normal sublight speeds.

So if you could accept some living being having some psionic (or some such) ability to open a portal to hyperspace without a hyperdrive, then by my version of hyperspace, it would be the nature of hyperspace itself that would suck the creature into hyperspace and propel it the minimum speed of hyperspace.

HOWEVER, my main problem with the purrgils is not being able to open a portal to (and from) hyperspace and traveling through it, but rather the creatures being able to survive hyperspace travel. Hyperspace Since 1980 Star Wars has had creatures able to survive space. And space slugs even seem to have the ability to manipulate gravity. But it has always been my impression that mynocks and space slugs hitch rides on ships to different systems under the protection of the energy shielding that protects ships from the ravages of hyperspace travel. (The giant slug in TESB could either be the result of evolution or a long-lived smaller one that just continues to grow as it lives.) So space slugs and mynocks don't need the ability to travel hyperspace themselves to exist in Star Wars.

In my mind, hyperspace should not be a pleasant environment for lifeforms. Purrgils having the ability to enter hyperspace and survive it is just too much for me. You can still have intelligent 'space wales' without them having them go lightspeed. Rebels is a Daddy-Son Star Wars tradition since it started, and my six-year-old loves it. But the show seems to be getting more and more ridiculous as it goes. It's got some interesting adventure ideas here and there, but that's it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue that I see with hyperspace as alternate universe (even if coterminous) is the affect of gravity wells.

Hyperspace as we are all aware is limited by realspace gravity. You can't jump too close to any gravity well and interdictor cruisers/pirate asteroids/gravitic anomalies/etc. all drop ships out of hyperspace. By that reasoning, hyperspace can't be an alternate universe; it seems more like a desynchronized bubble.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JironGhrad wrote:
The issue that I see with hyperspace as alternate universe (even if coterminous) is the affect of gravity wells.

Hyperspace as we are all aware is limited by realspace gravity. You can't jump too close to any gravity well and interdictor cruisers/pirate asteroids/gravitic anomalies/etc. all drop ships out of hyperspace. By that reasoning, hyperspace can't be an alternate universe; it seems more like a desynchronized bubble.

That's semantics. Hyperspace is an other dimension of existence or a desynchronized bubble or an alternate universe which gravity from realspace bleeds through to. It's all purely speculative science fiction. I was discussing how I see hyperspace working in relation to the purrgil. Or does your post have a point, or some relation to that discussion that I'm completely missing?

I personally do not normally refer to hyperspace as an alternate universe. I usually use the term "alternate dimension" which is really more vague but what Wookieepedia uses. To be more clear, I had Naaman's comments in mind when I first replied. Unlike him, I do still see hyperspace as having the aspect of being a "place" because, when ships jump to hyperspace, they leave realspace and later return to it. Hyperspace is "where" they go in the mean time. When a ship is "there", it is not "here" so to speak. The term universe has a stronger implication of "place" than dimension in my mind, but no, I do not actually consider hyperspace to be a member universe of my SW Multiverse per se. It would make sense to me that each universe would have its own hyperspace.

Anyway, in my vision of hyperspace, FTL is the natural state of things. In Legends, physical objects from realspace can even be parked stationary in hyperspace, but I personally don't care for that idea. My hyperspace is even less like an alternate universe than that because realspace objects can't be still, or even move less than the speed of light, which is the upper limit of realspace where it's all subject to relativity.

Within the realm of all this fantasy, I still feel purrgils moving through hyperspace is silly.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
JironGhrad wrote:

That's semantics. Hyperspace is an other dimension of existence or a desynchronized bubble or an alternate universe which gravity from realspace bleeds through to. It's all purely speculative science fiction. I was discussing how I see hyperspace working in relation to the purrgil. Or does your post have a point, or some relation to that discussion that I'm completely missing?

I personally do not normally refer to hyperspace as an alternate universe. I usually use the term "alternate dimension" which is really more vague but what Wookieepedia uses. To be more clear, I had Naaman's comments in mind when I first replied. Unlike him, I do still see hyperspace as having the aspect of being a "place" because, when ships jump to hyperspace, they leave realspace and later return to it. Hyperspace is "where" they go in the mean time. When a ship is "there", it is not "here" so to speak. The term universe has a stronger implication of "place" than dimension in my mind, but no, I do not actually consider hyperspace to be a member universe of my SW Multiverse per se. It would make sense to me that each universe would have its own hyperspace.

Anyway, in my vision of hyperspace, FTL is the natural state of things. In Legends, physical objects from realspace can even be parked stationary in hyperspace, but I personally don't care for that idea. My hyperspace is even less like an alternate universe than that because realspace objects can't be still, or even move less than the speed of light, which is the upper limit of realspace where it's all subject to relativity.

Within the realm of all this fantasy, I still feel purrgils moving through hyperspace is silly.

I agree that it's silly; I was suggesting that it would be more plausible in the sense that hyperspace would be a state of being rather than an alternate place.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't make sense to suggest the distinction "hyperspace is a state of being rather than an alternate place".

At the time one's material body is fully somewhere else, as confirmed by sensors (i.e. not being here), there's functionally no difference between a "state of being" and an "alternate place".

In my opinion, we're basically edging into a discussion about branes and the brane cosmology, which is about 12 parsecs past where my phyiscs and maths stop.

Hyperspace is basically a coterminous dimension (coterminous meaning that except for certain exceptions, each point in realspace - our space - corresponds to one specific point in hyperspace) where the whorls that constitute Hyperspace are influenced by gravity from realspace.

This means that by going through Hyperspace, we're still following a track that corresponds to some track in realspace, but we're not constrained by the universal speed limit - light speed. (Star Wars, as most space opera, ignores the causality problems that this introduces.) We are constrained by gravity, that naughty little consequence of energy.

So, even if we can't see into Hyperspace directly, we can plot a likely course based on a vector and a point where someone jumped - that was shown for instance by the response when MF pretended to do an attack run and latched on to the superstructure of the Star Destroyer. There's also some EU fluff about "Cronau radiation". This course is constrained by the drift of (major) (point) sources of gravity, such as stars, black holes, and the mother of whomever was insulted while playing CS: GO last night.

Interestingly, more diffuse sources of gravity, such as nebulae, have a more varied influence, ranging from being a barrier to hyperspace, to severely restricting the allowable vectors for Hyperspace travel (the way I read the ThonBoka, for instance).

I like the idea that movement is the natural state of Hyperspace - that's their relative reference. Also, even though every point in realspace (more or less) is coterminous with one point in Hyperspace, collisions seem to be rare. And, it would also explain the streaking of stars during the jump - you're actually seeing the effects of time travel (or rather, moving from 4D space - realspace - to Hyperspace is in effect much the same as time travel). The flicker of 'jumping' to Hyperspace isn't acceleration - it's an artifact of actually doing time travel, i.e. pseudomotion.

Hence, collisions are rare because you're essentially in your own time waveform and would have to be extraordinarily unlucky to interact with someone else - and it would also help explain why there's no Hyperspace battles. Which means that synchronized jumps to a system is much more a matter of when than a matter of where.

It also explains why mishaps with your Hyperspace drive can lead to what is feted as time traveling - Bobsit Matarcher is one, the Ashanda Ray another - though it technically always is time travel (but that's ignored in-universe).

I can accept Otherspace - barely - but the sub-hyperspace and phantom energy introduced in the novelization of TFA? I'm not sure. It doesn't 'fit' properly in my head, though it conforms to the effects observed in the movie.

Also, may I suggest a reason why gravity interferes with Hyperspace? Because time dilation - and it is actually this time dilation that distorts hyperspace, not mass per se - but mass, energy, and time dilation is intrinsically linked in our realspace, so you (mostly) can't have one without the other, except in certain circumstances.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the "dimensional explanation" of hyperspace the basic premise of the WEG adventure "Otherspace?" I haven't played it, but I've read a few summaries. I could be wrong, but IIRC they PCs get trapped in the hyperspatial dimension.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Purrgil
A species of massive, whale-like creatures that live in deep space, traveling from star system to star system. It is their natural ability to fly through hyperspace that inspired sentients to develop the hyperdrive technology. However, according to Hera Syndulla, most spacers consider purrgil a pest due to their habit of approaching and flying into starships near their flight paths, and for ships crashing into their swarms during hyperspace travel. Numerous spacer deaths can be attributed to purrgil-related incidents, leading most spacers to fire upon them on sight.

Biology & Appearance
Purrgil are large creatures with a streamlined, torpedo-shaped body, and a horizontally flattened head with two cloudy eyes placed on the sides of it. They have four large hind tentacles, a single dorsal fin, and two side fins, all of which allow them to move gracefully across the vacuum of realspace. The skin of purrgil is smooth-looking, and often a bluish purple color. Their large mouths are filled with egg-shaped, irregularly implanted teeth. Some specimens have slender, whiskerlike organs near the mouth.

In order to breathe, these space-whales need to inhale stores of a specific green gas, Clouzon-36. Once sufficiently provided with said gas, they can jump into hyperspace.

Behavior
Purrgil live in groups called flocks or swarms that could count up to eight individuals. Such groups are led by a bigger specimen, referred to as a Purrgil King. Although they show a certain degree of intelligence, the purrgil could unintentionally cause harm by crashing into starships, killing their occupants in the process.

History
Several millennia before the First Order–Resistance conflict, the purrgil's ability to travel through hyperspace inspired sentients to find their own way of entering that alternate dimension. After studying purrgil, sentient beings ended up inventing the hyperdrive.

Although few people actually witnessed their special ability to attain lightspeed, the purrgil became the stuff of legend for smugglers and pilots across the galaxy. However, due to their habit of unwittingly crashing into starships, the legendary space-whales came to be regarded as "a big, lumbering menace."

PURRGIL
Type: Deep space nuisance
DEXTERITY 3D
Fly 4D
PERCEPTION 1D
STRENGTH 5D
Special Abilities:

Natural Hyperspace Travel: Puurgil have the natural ability to enter hyperspace (8x). This requires effort and requires them to store adequate natural stores for this. Requiring them to consume large quantities of Clouzon-36 or similar substance. Its takes the Purrgil 2D rounds to enter hyperspace.
Savant Astrogation: Purrgil require no time to calculate their destination and can even alter their destination while in hyperspace without error.
Move: 3 space
Size: 22 meters (starfighter scale)
Source: Star Wars Rebels "The Call", wookieepedia, stats by +Oliver Queen.

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Isn't the "dimensional explanation" of hyperspace the basic premise of the WEG adventure "Otherspace?" I haven't played it, but I've read a few summaries. I could be wrong, but IIRC they PCs get trapped in the hyperspatial dimension.

Otherspace was a pocket dimension beyond both realspace and hyperspace.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: