The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Developing the Sullustan Resistance network
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Developing the Sullustan Resistance network
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Developing the Sullustan Resistance network Reply with quote

I have a campaign set in the Rise of the Empire era. One of the PC's, a Sullustan, has been funneling personal funds back home to support a resistance network against the occupation and domination of the Empire over his homeworld. The party is now going to Sullust for other story reasons, but I anticipate they will very soon attempt to investigate how well their pet resistance has been growing.

For story reasons I will impress upon them that they aren't doing too strongly, which ought to lead to the party taking action to help them grow and become stronger and more established. Which leads to my question, what sort of things could I set up for the PCs to meddle in that would lead to the Sullustan Resistance movement growing in organizational power or skill?

I am looking for ideas along the lines of, helping them set up literal spy-nets in the Imperial base(s); sabotage missions against certain Sullustan clans (that are supporting the Empire) to weaken their position; or possibly a regular fuel re-routing system to weaken the Empire's resources on-planet? I have only three players in the party, so above all, these missions should be doable with a small group, yet not so insignificant that the players wouldn't feel any victory in having achieved.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of it might be simple visiting and recruiting... go and see a person and get them involved.

There might be strikes that can be used to show certain influential Sullustans what's going on... the example that comes to mind is from KOTOR, where you make a strike into the Sith Embassy to reveal that the Sith are kidnapping Selkath to indoctrinate them into the Sith. Also on Mannan, there's the research station, where the Republic and elements of the Selkath government are colluding, which you help cover up.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything having to do with taxation or large amounts of funds changing hands (as the era you have chosen is likely to have) could be reason enough for people to get mad and want to resist somehow.

But you don't necessarily need radicals. Again, though, follow the money. Most characters do whatever they do because of money either directly or indirectly.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.starwars.com/news/much-to-learn-you-still-have-7-things-you-might-not-know-about-sullustans
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can help other cells, respond to distress calls from other cells, gather intell (surveillance, interrogation, slicing, etc), sabotage.

Just to name a few.
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all really excellent ideas. I think for this particular setting, there will be only one real "cell", that is really struggling to gain any foothold in the Sullustan society. So there may be some spy-infiltration; a recruitment based on the data gained from the spy mission; and then maybe a sabotage and more recruitment based on the backlash...

With the recruitment situation: only one of the PCs is Sullustan, and his social (PER) skills leave a lot to be desired. How can the other PCs (human) play a role in persuading other Sullustans to join in the cause -- and by this question I mean mechanically, how can the outsider-humans succeed in talking the native Sullustans into something dangerous and against their immediate interests?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random_Axe wrote:
These are all really excellent ideas. I think for this particular setting, there will be only one real "cell", that is really struggling to gain any foothold in the Sullustan society. So there may be some spy-infiltration; a recruitment based on the data gained from the spy mission; and then maybe a sabotage and more recruitment based on the backlash...

With the recruitment situation: only one of the PCs is Sullustan, and his social (PER) skills leave a lot to be desired. How can the other PCs (human) play a role in persuading other Sullustans to join in the cause -- and by this question I mean mechanically, how can the outsider-humans succeed in talking the native Sullustans into something dangerous and against their immediate interests?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sullustan/Legends

Well, Wookiepedia has Sullustans being fairly non-xenophobic, with a polyandrous social structure. It might be possible for your charismatic human to marry into one of the Warren-clans, and then function as a member of society... especially if he speaks Sullustan fluently. The social structure implies that Sullustans have a non-equal gender distribution... that either a lot of males die for some reason, or that more males are born than females. Since the society is polyandrous, your human (presumably male) character could marry into a clan without necessarily needing to... perform (though, since Wookiepedia classifies Sullustans as Near-Humans, that might also come up), without disrupting the social structure.

Your core cell might even be one of several related Warren-clans. Say, it started with Mom, and her daughters (and their Warren-clans) are the Sullustan Resistance.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I like this last idea a lot.

I also thought about where I'd draw the line with near-human/aliens or what sexually, like what would be off limits and completely disgusting?

Has anyone ever like...grabbed a B'omarr monk an...
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, wait, Wookiepedia classified Sullustans as near-humans??? Those bug-eyes and double jowls are anything but human! What's next, Ewoks as a long-lost species of midget near-Wookies?!

Error wrote:
^ I like this last idea a lot.

I also thought about where I'd draw the line with near-human/aliens or what sexually, like what would be off limits and completely disgusting?

Has anyone ever like...grabbed a B'omarr monk an...

I'm gonna stop you right there. Before anyone mentions taking that B'omarr monk's brain and doing a reenactment of that infamous scene from American Pie.

...crap.

EDIT: 50th post! I just made Sub-Lieutenant, yay!
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Wait, wait, Wookiepedia classified Sullustans as near-humans??? Those bug-eyes and double jowls are anything but human! What's next, Ewoks as a long-lost species of midget near-Wookies?!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Near-Human#Behind_the_scenes

It's not Wookieepedia's fault. Blame certain authors who encountered the term but didn't know what it meant and assumed incorrectly it meant the same thing as "humanoid". Wookieepedia just records their errors. One author even said that these guys were Near-Humans!

"Near-Human" has never been said in a film so for my SWU I just decide which species are and aren't near-humans based on my armchair scholar knowledge of real world evolutionary biology and my sense of Star Wars verisimilitude. Sullustans are not near-humans in my SWU.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Near-Human#Behind_the_scenes

It's not Wookieepedia's fault. Blame certain authors who encountered the term but didn't know what it meant and assumed incorrectly it meant the same thing as "humanoid". Wookieepedia just records their errors. One author even said that these guys were Near-Humans!

"Near-Human" has never been said in a film so for my SWU I just decide which species are and aren't near-humans based on my armchair scholar knowledge of real world evolutionary biology and my sense of Star Wars verisimilitude. Sullustans are not near-humans in my SWU.

To my mind, the best guide on what is and isn't a near-human is the Star Wars D6 book Alien Encounters. It details several near-human species, including my favorite species, the Wroonians. But AE is hardly complete; it doesn't include species like the Chiss, for example. Best rule of thumb: if it could be mistaken for a human with odd pigmentation, more than likely it's a near-human. (Yes, the Zelosians are the odd exception that proves the rule, but no one knows about their "sap for blood" thing....)

And the idea of Twi'leks and humans being able to interbreed and make "Half-Twi'leks" or whatever they're called? That idea is so ridiculous that it makes the concept of Jar Jar Binks seem sane. Different species can't mate, geniuses! And don't tell me that those lekku headtails are something a human would ever evolve....
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
To my mind, the best guide on what is and isn't a near-human is the Star Wars D6 book Alien Encounters. It details several near-human species, including my favorite species, the Wroonians. But AE is hardly complete; it doesn't include species like the Chiss, for example.

I love Wroonians and AE (except for some of its artwork).

Sutehp wrote:
And the idea of Twi'leks and humans being able to interbreed and make "Half-Twi'leks" or whatever they're called? ...Different species can't mate, geniuses! And don't tell me that those lekku headtails are something a human would ever evolve....

I'm with ya on Twi'leks. Perhaps you've also read Curtis Saxton's Star Wars Technical Commentaries?

Humans wouldn't really evolve horns either but I do still categorize Zabrak as near-humans by way of genetic engineering.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: A follow-up question Reply with quote

Assuming some of the Resistance had hard luck and fell afoul of the Imperials and got either arrested or "disappeared", where would the Empire have shipped them off to?

Popular SWU canon has it that Wookiees were the main construction force for the Death Star, but were Sullustan prisoners ever prized for any specific skill or ability?

In a nutshell, I am running the Dawn of Defiance campaign, and Sullust is one of our side missions, so I am wondering if it could be likely at all that Sullustan criminals were ever used for the actual Sarlacc project, or would the Empire have had other ideas for these upstart little resistees?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sullustans were always famous for their navigation and spatial-awareness skills. Maybe some Sullustan prisoners were impressed into the Imperial Scout Corps to find Rebel safeworlds?

As for Project Sarlacc, it's entirely possible that the Empire uses Sullustan prisoners to calibrate navicomputers on ships being built in shipyards. I could see Sullustans being forced to build, install and calibrate the navicomputer onboard that prototype SSD.

I'm glad that SW canon is getting away from the whole "High Human Culture" nonsense. Sure, the Empire takes slaves and wants to oppress everyone, but in a galaxy as epically cosmopolitan and as widely populated as the SWU, it seems especially strange to discard non-human people with talents beyond the human norm and keep them from serving the Empire when having their skills available would be alot more advantageous to the Empire in the long run. Hell, that's even lampshaded in the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook. I really wish the writers had come up with a better excuse to explain the lack of aliens in the Imperial military as seen in the OT. (It's also why I was relieved to see Snoke was a non-human in TFA.)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possible use for Sullustans would on other tunnel-worlds... maybe the infamous Spice Mines of Kessel? Or some similar extraction, where "small and sees in the dark" are useful traits?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: