The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

First Aid w/o a Medpac? Mortally Wounded Natural Healing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> First Aid w/o a Medpac? Mortally Wounded Natural Healing? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: First Aid w/o a Medpac? Mortally Wounded Natural Healing? Reply with quote

R&E, p.97 wrote:
A character making an Easy first aid total can revive an unconscious character...

A character making a Moderate first aid total can revive an incapacitated character...

A character making a Moderate first aid total can "stabilize" a mortally wounded character. The character is still mortally wounded but will survive if a medpac or bacta tank is used on him within one hour

So what exactly are characters doing when they roll first aid for these non-medpac uses of the skill?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first and second might be the equivalent of smelling salts/adrenaline injection. I'd say that those are medpac skills, or perhaps the player is just slapping them awake.

Stabilizing would likely be improvised field dressings. Using clothing for bandages, perhaps the belt/stick tourniquet.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought some more about this. Field dressings and tourniquets, as mentioned, plus cleaning, taking care of the patient, and such (IE don't pick at that, don't move your arm, etc).
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: First aid without a medpac? Reply with quote

R&E, p.97 wrote:
A character making an Easy first aid total can revive an unconscious character...

A character making a Moderate first aid total can revive an incapacitated character...

A character making a Moderate first aid total can "stabilize" a mortally wounded character. The character is still mortally wounded but will survive if a medpac or bacta tank is used on him within one hour

JironGhrad wrote:
Stabilizing would likely be improvised field dressings. Using clothing for bandages, perhaps the belt/stick tourniquet.

That makes sense.

JironGhrad wrote:
I think the first and second might be the equivalent of smelling salts/adrenaline injection. I'd say that those are medpac skills, or perhaps the player is just slapping them awake.

Smelling salts and adrenaline would make more sense with a medpac, but these two are both awaking unconscious characters without a medpac. Under Healing with Medpacs on the next page, the difficulty for healing an incapacitated character to wounded twice status is the same Moderate roll, but these are two different actions with two different effects, one with a medpac, and one without. Fully healing a stunned unconscious character with a medpac is Very Easy which shows that it is easier to wake someone up with a medpac then without.

So what I was mainly wondering was, do you really need to apply your skill of "first aid" to say "wake up, wake up" and slap an unconscious character?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: First aid without a medpac? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

So what I was mainly wondering was, do you really need to apply your skill of "first aid" to say "wake up, wake up" and slap an unconscious character?

to check to see if that is all that is required, btw don't forget the glass of cold water in the face.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess since the First Aid skill has specializations of specific species, the First Aid skill may be used to know what stimulus to use to wake the unconscious character up. Splashing water or slapping the unconscious character in the face may not work for all species.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends a lot on what caused the effect;

Is the person unconscious due to a punch in the head? Then treat for possible concussion.

Is the person incapacitated due to blood loss? Then use whatever is at hand to stop the bleeding and apply pressure (clothing, nearby articles, a character's hand.) Also treat for shock; elevate feet, check airway etc..

Has the heart stopped? Conduct Space CPR...
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mortally Wounded Reply with quote

Thanks JironGhrad, Jmanski, Savar and Dredwulf60. That all really helps.

Quote:
A character making a Moderate first aid total can “sta­bilize” a mortally wounded character. The character is still mortally wounded but will survive if a medpac or bacta tank is used on him within one hour (Moderate first aid total); otherwise, he dies. (This is different from healing a character with a medpac; see “Healing.”)

My other question is about Natural Healing from Mortally Wounded. The mortally wounded stabilize (without a medpac) rules say that you give the character an hour to get treated with a medpac or bacta tank. But the Natural Healing rules say the base duration for mortally wounded natural healing is 35 days. How does a character get 35 days without a medpac or bacta tank when stabilizing the patient only stops the round by round countdown and gives the character an hour? Or does the end of the second paragraph of the mortally wounded description mean that there is a moderate difficulty roll with a medpac that won't improve the wound status to incapacitated, but will give the character more than the hour?

So, let's say you and one other person survive a shipwreck on an alien planet but you are Mortally Wounded. The other person makes the initial Moderate First Aid roll to stabilize you. Then the other person takes less than an hour to find one medpac remaining, and uses it on you. If the medpac first aid roll equals a Difficult difficulty, you are improved to Incapacitated. If it only equals a Moderate difficulty, then you are not improved to Incapacitated but your life is extended beyond the hour, so you can try to naturally heal after 35 days. Is that what it means?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mortally Wounded Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So, let's say you and one other person survive a shipwreck on an alien planet but you are Mortally Wounded. The other person makes the initial Moderate First Aid roll to stabilize you. Then the other person takes less than an hour to find one medpac remaining, and uses it on you. If the medpac first aid roll equals a Difficult difficulty, you are improved to Incapacitated. If it only equals a Moderate difficulty, then you are not improved to Incapacitated but your life is extended beyond the hour, so you can try to naturally heal after 35 days. Is that what it means?

That would concur with my reading. If you don't make enough check to improve, but beat a moderate: then the wounded person doesn't die and will heal naturally (eventually). I would take into consideration environmental factors as well as part of that process. That 35 days likely includes normal procedures such as changing dirty bandages and whatnot... Less than ideal conditions as described in your example might require a lot longer and be subject to greater "wild factor".
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mortally Wounded Reply with quote

JironGhrad wrote:
That would concur with my reading. If you don't make enough check to improve, but beat a moderate: then the wounded person doesn't die and will heal naturally (eventually). I would take into consideration environmental factors as well as part of that process. That 35 days likely includes normal procedures such as changing dirty bandages and whatnot... Less than ideal conditions as described in your example might require a lot longer and be subject to greater "wild factor".

Mortally wounded characters are unconscious. Although not stated in the rules, it makes sense to me that a mortally wounded character would need taken care of by someone else in such a way for the 35 days. Would you say that a mortally wounded character who survived the initial hour and is trying to heal naturally would be able to barely become conscious enough to be fed and swallow mushy food so they get basic sustenance?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say they would be more akin to patients in hospitals needing IV tubes to get fed.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has somebody recently watched The Revenant by chance?
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mortally Wounded Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
JironGhrad wrote:

Mortally wounded characters are unconscious. Although not stated in the rules, it makes sense to me that a mortally wounded character would need taken care of by someone else in such a way for the 35 days. Would you say that a mortally wounded character who survived the initial hour and is trying to heal naturally would be able to barely become conscious enough to be fed and swallow mushy food so they get basic sustenance?

Without the book in front of me, wasn't there something about a healing roll periodically to ensure the character actually does heal? I would suggest that after a few days unconscious that a semi-conscious state would occur such that being fed could occur, depending on the nature of the injuries.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mortally Wounded Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I'd say they would be more akin to patients in hospitals needing IV tubes to get fed.

Wouldn't that be medical care and not "natural" healing?

Quote:
HEALING
Characters can heal in many ways, but the three most common methods of healing are natural healing, medpacs and bacta tanks (also known as rejuvenation tanks).

Natural Healing
A character can heal naturally, but this process is both slower and much riskier than bacta healing. The character must rest a specified amount of time and then can make a healing roll: roll the character’s full Strength and find the result on the chart related to the character’s current Wound Level to see if the character heals.
Healing characters can do doing virtually nothing but rest. A character who tries to work, exercise or adventure must subtract -1D from his Strength when he makes his healing roll. Any character who opts to “take it easy” and do virtually nothing for twice the necessary time may add +1D to his Strength roll to heal.

A wounded character must rest for three standard days before rolling to heal...

A character who is wounded twice must rest for three days before rolling to heal...

Incapacitated characters must rest for two weeks before making a healing roll...

Mortally wounded characters must rest for one month (35 standard days) before making a healing roll.

Strength
Roll Result

2-6 Character dies
7-8 Character remains mortally wounded
9+ Character improves to incapacitated

Example: Thannik is incapacitated and is healing naturally. After resting 2 weeks, he makes a Strength roll for a 10 - he improves to wounded twice. To heal from wounded twice to wounded, he must rest for another 3 days before making a healing roll.

Medpacs...

JironGhrad wrote:
Without the book in front of me, wasn't there something about a healing roll periodically to ensure the character actually does heal? I would suggest that after a few days unconscious that a semi-conscious state would occur such that being fed could occur, depending on the nature of the injuries.

The "periodic" rolls are once for each wound status healing level. 35 days is really the first "period" of natural healing from mortally wounded status. At the end of the first 35 days of being MW, then you make your first roll. As your wound status improves, the periods are get shorter.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: