The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

verpine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> verpine
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: verpine Reply with quote

one way to weaken player char verpine. they only get the +2D technical bonus when with in range of the hive. doesn't fix the 5D technical but. ...

so if they are close to the hive the are part of the hive mind get the bonus but deal with hive mind issues.

one of my thoughts why they get that bonus is because all the experience the have access to as part of the hive mind.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THat is a good idea. but what is 'within range'?? I can easily see some lawyerly player pushing that envelope.

MY personal preference, is to only allow that bonus on skills they have spent starting points or CP into..
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
THat is a good idea. but what is 'within range'?? I can easily see some lawyerly player pushing that envelope.

fluff in GG4 says the hive mind has a range of 100km and functions through the whole roche asteroid belt by relaying signals.

garhkal wrote:
MY personal preference, is to only allow that bonus on skills they have spent starting points or CP into..

I also do like, only bonus on skills that have been increased.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how I treat verpin in my game. Maybe there is something here you can use to tweak for your version:

Knowledge skills:
-- Organic Telecommunication. Time to use: free action for simple information and phrases. Verpine have the natural ability to sense and transmit radio waves to communicate with another Verpine in their language over distances of one hundred kilometers and more. Skill difficulty is Easy modified by range.

In line of sight/Automatic
1-100 meters/+0
101 meters to 1 kilometer/+5
2-10 kilometers/+10
11-100 kilometers/+15
101-1,000 kilometers/+20
Same planet/+25
Same star system/+30

Special Abilities:
-- Skill Bonus: at the time the character is created only, the character gets 2D for every 1D placed in capital ship repair, capital ship weapon repair, space transports repair, starfighter repair, starship weapon repair or capital ship engineering, space transports engineering, starfighter engineering or starship weapon engineering if the prerequisites are made.
-- Chitinous Exoskeleton: +1D bonus vs. physical, +2 vs energy.
-- Microscopic Vision: because of their highly evolved eyesight verpine can see at a microscopic level though this requires a high degree of concentration. Doing so is a full round action and allows inspection of an item at the microscopic level. Treat as x25 microscope.

Story Arc:
-- Pacifistic Idealism: Verpine being a hive species have adopted a pacifistic galaxy-view. They will do their best not to enter into physical conflict unless absolutely necessary. They will try to use non-violent means until it is no longer a viable option.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Here is how I treat verpin in my game. Maybe there is something here you can use to tweak for your version.

thank you that is something cool to read
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that re-write of them. Any game effects if their antenna are damaged?
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

now that it's cruel Twisted Evil

evil verpine NPC, had his antenna destroyed. now has been experimenting on other races to make prosthetic antenna.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

No written down rules. To me that seems like it would be a limitation the character places on the character. I may also consider it if the player is hit in the head and is mortally wounded. Off the top of my head I would maybe give +1 pip bonus for halving the distance, +2 for another halving and a +1D bonus for the ability being absent?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asking, as iiirc didn't one of the novels go into how 'deranged' a verpine got, cause of being 'out of the loop' on the hive mind..
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Mentioned in the Courtship of Princess Leia - almost all Verpine criminals had damaged antennae.

I added something to a Con scenario I set up - in the description of one Verpine PC (with a capsule describing it as having an unhealthy fascination with explosives), there was a small note mentioning that its left antenna had the tip broken off.

I didn't expect any of the players of the scenario to pick up on that - and indeed, none of them did, at least to my knowledge - but I tend to add stuff like that for my own sake, and don't usually feel any need to pontificate about it. I like it just being there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: