The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Bringing general skills up to specializations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Bringing general skills up to specializations. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just popped up into my head while posting on another thread...

If a person's base skill does manage to get higher than the specialization, then why shouldn't they "lose" the specialization, and then have the option to purchase it again, if they want?

For example, say a person specializes in Blaster Pistol at character creation, getting +1D bringing the skill up to 5D. Then decides that the blaster rifle is better for the kind of fighting he tends to do. So he raises blaster to 6D. Now, he will never need to roll the specialization again.

I think that the solution is this: this character could spend 3 CP to instantly bring his Blaster Pistol specialization up to 6D+1 from 5D. There are no "saved" character points, and the character points/starting dice are still spent, so they don't come back. But since the base skill includes Blaster Pistol, to me, it makes more sense this way than RAW.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
That is the way RAW works, in effect. Yes it says that the specialization is a separate skill and raising the base skill or specialization doesn't raise the other. But like you said, the base skill includes blaster pistol, so at the point that the base skill catches up to the specialization, you effectively no longer even need to list the specialization on the character sheet because it is included in the base skill. And then if you decide to specialize in blaster pistol again, it is based on where the base skill is at that time, regardless of where the specialization once was (before the base skill caught up and "reabsorbed" the specialization). In your example above, you specialized, then generalized, then re-specialized.

That's my interpretation of RAW anyway. I am not aware of any character stats or any other examples in RAW supporting that idea that once you specialize, if you later raise the base skill equal to or above the specialization, that every general use of the base skill is done at the base skill except the specialization which is still lagging behind where you left it. In RAW you already lost the CPs spent on the specialization when the base skill catches up, but it would be a double-wammy for the specialization to not be de-specialized and reabsorbed into the base skill when it does.

8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... Embarassed
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Matthias777 wrote:
I was not aware of this. Do you recall which Adventure Journal this was in, and what page?

My books are on a different level of my home than I am at the moment, so I lazily performed a search of this forum and found a 2014 thread where this was discussed. I quote myself...

Whill wrote:
This is addressed in the ISB Intercepts column of SWAJ#15 (p. 80). The question was, does 4D+2 + 3D+1 = 8D or 7D+3 ? Eric S. Trautmann answered 7D+3. For what it's worth, this is considered a clarification of what was already RAW. It was stated back in the 1E era, but the 2E books just didn't have any definitive examples demonstrating this.

The last published issue of AJ. Better late than never!

Just now got a chance to pull out that book and have a look. I keep forgetting about ISB Intercepts; I wish we had more of these! My first introduction to the rules was 2R&E, so I missed out on the 1E holdovers that didn't get outlined in that volume. Now, this is just me trying to complicate things, but does anyone else feel that if the pips are calculated separately, the entire die code should be calculated separately? (To me) it stands to reason that if one part of die codes (pips) are independent from their counterparts when they are added together, that the dice rolled should be separate as well. This would mean that you would be rolling two Wild Dice when combining die codes like this. This reasoning is why I've always figured that you combined pips into dice; it means you roll one handful of dice and have just one Wild Die. I'm OK with being "wrong", I'm just wondering if my logic rings true for anyone else.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that makes sense as a legitimate interpretation.

I would offer the following as counterpoint:
The wild die is applied once per effect resolution, rather than once per die code...(?)

How does that sound?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I have seen some people try to interpret making a dual dice code roll as meaning they should have 2 wild dice..
Heck, 2 of those also think your dark side avoidance roll should also be 'wild diced'.. So the 1d you roll on avoiding turning to the Dark side after gaining every DSP, IS a wild die with the standard results, so a roll of 1, means you TURNED as your effective result is 0, and can go higher if you explode on it... Same with the mortally wounded dice roll. One of the 2 dice should be wild, so you could come up with two 1's, giving you an instant dead (0 result), or could go higher than 11 rounds if your wild is a six....
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Heck, 2 of those also think your dark side avoidance roll should also be 'wild diced'.. So the 1d you roll on avoiding turning to the Dark side after gaining every DSP, IS a wild die with the standard results, so a roll of 1, means you TURNED as your effective result is 0, and can go higher if you explode on it... Same with the mortally wounded dice roll. One of the 2 dice should be wild, so you could come up with two 1's, giving you an instant dead (0 result), or could go higher than 11 rounds if your wild is a six....

For the mortally wounded roll, I've followed suit from D6 Space in making it the character's Strength (instead of a flat 2D for all characters) which gives most PCs more time on average. But overall, my wound system is already deadlier than RAW so I'll reserve an instant death for my normal single damage killed result, wound accumulation to killed or the MR roll when the time is up, and I also have no need for longer time, so I don't need an exploding wild die in that roll.

With DSPs you have to roll less than the # of DSPs you have to cross over, so by RAW you don't even need to roll on the first DSP. I'm strict with morality (enforcing dark side point rules) but still feel that if a PC doesn't heed my warning and gets the first DSP, he should still have a chance to atone from that point, so I wouldn't want to roll on the first one saying a roll of 1 means 0 so automatic strait to DS. After gaining the second DSP, a roll of 1 is an automatic cross over anyway. And I definitely don't want to give PCs any more time to keep being bad and hold off their PC becoming an NPC, so wouldn't want the wild die explosion either.

So mortally wounded and dark side don't need wild die in my opinion.

Naaman wrote:
The wild die is applied once per effect resolution, rather than once per die code...(?)

How does that sound?

That sounds good to me. Of course CPs are extra wild dice and I do use that, but I don't need two wild dice just from two die codes being added together for a single effect resolution.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I suppose that makes sense as a legitimate interpretation.

I would offer the following as counterpoint:

How does that sound?

Makes sense to me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: