The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hyperspace Travel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Hyperspace Travel Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, am I the only who sees that in the rules, both the Hyperdrive AND the Nav-Computer/Astrogation have to with travel time. The better the astrogation roll, the less time you have to travel, AND the better the hyperdrive, the less time you have to travel.

So, seriously, they are BOTH right. Though hyperdrive speeds usually don't vary much. 3-0.5 is about it. Usually in 0.5 increments. I have yet to see 1.75 HD, but I have seen just one 1.5 HD.

And in the rules, the better the atsrogation, droid, Nav Computer, route, and coordinates from a starport, the faster and easier the trip.

I am amazed there was an argument. BOTH are being used at the exact same time.
to finance my 'vette!
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meld the two. Especially in WEG terms both cases work to the same thing. "Speed" and "Fast" are both about the Drive and the Nav Computer. In terms of the multiplyer...Solo has a .5 hyperdrive. Meaning his Nav computer can plot the course and his ship's "speed" takes him faster than light. Thus cutting his time in half. You notice his plotting a course and taking him time during ANH when Luke was griping at him in the cockpit...Light speed is the time and DISTANCE which light travels. His drive+nav computer allows the Falcon to achieve distances in half the time as the x1 (light speed) drives can. And remember that not all hyperdrives can take a ship at light speed in hyperspace (x2 multiplyers, back-up drives, etc...). Most cases, especially in the older ships, light speed wasn't even the "speed" at which the ship entered hyperspace.
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also consider that space isn't two diminsional. So A to B isn't always the fastest way. In light of my previous post. DOes these posts now make sense?

Boomer wrote:
Ok, am I the only who sees that in the rules, both the Hyperdrive AND the Nav-Computer/Astrogation have to with travel time. The better the astrogation roll, the less time you have to travel, AND the better the hyperdrive, the less time you have to travel.

So, seriously, they are BOTH right. Though hyperdrive speeds usually don't vary much. 3-0.5 is about it. Usually in 0.5 increments. I have yet to see 1.75 HD, but I have seen just one 1.5 HD.

And in the rules, the better the atsrogation, droid, Nav Computer, route, and coordinates from a starport, the faster and easier the trip.

I am amazed there was an argument. BOTH are being used at the exact same time.

Hellcat wrote:
I like to point out that the astrogation gazetteer in the second edition GM screen actually gives you a way to calculate shortcuts that make it possible for you to cut a trip down by a considerable amount of time when this type of discussion pops up in a different forum on the web. Look at TPM and Tatooine to Coruscant. In the movie the trip seems to take very little time to complete, but according to the astrogation gazetteer that trip, when made from point A to point B, would take 22 days and 14 hours. However, Coruscant to Corellia is a 4 hour trip and Corellia to Tatooine is also a 4 hour trip. So by using Corellia as a shortcut, and turning the trip into a three point trip rather than a straight trip, Coruscant to Tatooine becomes a mere 8 hours.

It's like here I can go from my house to someplace up north that's about a hundred miles or so I'd say by taking both sets of northbound interstates that will get me there. One remains here in this state the entire way and actually passes through the place, but I've got to leave the state to take the other one. And the one of of this state is probably a little longer mileage wise by maybe three or four miles. And yet I'm looking at an hour and a half to two hours taking that way versus two and a half to two and three quarters staying here in the state. About the biggest difference really is that the out of state one runs pretty straight and doesn't run through any major cities where the number of cars increase to slow things down. But the point is sometimes things can be faster than you'd expect even if they seem longer.

And don't forget that hyperspace itself does some funny things that could help to cut travel time down.

Also consider why the rules are the way they are. In a chart, if the time is based on a x1 multiplyer, then it all makes sense.

If a trip is only 24 hours in a x1 drive. Consider that Han's ship does it in 12 hours and a x2 drive ship does it in 48. See why modifications are so great. Consider if the time to travel was a week. which would you prefer? A week(x1), three and a half days? (x0.5) Or two whole weeks? (x2)
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat beat me to it, trip across the galaxy is merely 8 hours. Very Happy, and they said it was a big universe. *insert evil laugh here* Twisted Evil
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehlin Yew wrote:
Hellcat beat me to it, trip across the galaxy is merely 8 hours. Very Happy, and they said it was a big universe. *insert evil laugh here* Twisted Evil

Well look at it this way, a three diminsional galaxy is far from flat. Wink That being the case, if you don't look at the map as flat, it makes more sense.

The way I do it is follow the d6 formula to a tee. "Look" at the map I use for our campaign (www.nav-computer.com) and calculate the times from there. To me, it seems that from going to a sytem from within the same system can take longer than going from one system in a sector to another system in another sector...depending on where you are. There are no constants. As a rule though, unless otherwise noted in the d6 books (due to great lanes, clear hazards, low traffic, etc...), I usually make going from sector to sector (meaning a system in one sector to a system in another sector) longer and system to system within the same sector shortened. Usually travel times within a sector from system to system take anywhere from 4-78 hours...So I assume that going from one sector to the next nearest sector takes at least a week, and I add a week to that per every sector along a route that is between the sector of origin to the sector of destination.

For long trips, I look at the consumables, and if they need to refuel and restock, I make them do it on the longer trips.

ALso, the upside to longer trips is that it helps add drama being crunched for time, or giving you plenty of time to stage events...

Anyway, just my $0.02
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: