The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cooking aka Culinary arts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Cooking aka Culinary arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Cooking aka Culinary arts Reply with quote

Game mechanics for preparing food;

This has come up as a player of mine has taken to playing a cooking droid. This system is something to give him a bit of depth and allow him to work on dishes.

-----------------------

Prepared food dishes have the following traits:

Proliferation: How widely is the recipe known. It is expressed as the DC for a cook to know how to make the food.
Common: DC 5 These recipes are well known throughout the galaxy.
Uncommon: DC 10 These recipes are popular only in certain cultures, species or regions.
Rare: DC 15 These recipes are popular only in a narrow segment of galactic society.
Exotic: DC 20 These delicacies may be historical or religious based foodstuffs.
Unique: DC 30 Legendary or generally unheard of foods or secret recipes.

Ingredients DC: The difficulty of having the proper ingredients to make the food. Failure means that the food cannot be made without an improvisation. (See the talent)

Preparation DC:
How difficult and/or time consuming it is to prepare the food. Meeting the minimum DC gives the food it’s basic traits. For every 10 points the DC is exceeded, the cook can double the effect of one of the traits; servings, nourishment or stress relief.
Failing to meet the minimum DC results in a poorly prepared dish. -1D to nourishment and Stress relief.
Failing to meet the minimum DC by more than 10 is a waste of ingredients.
Failing to meet the minimum DC with a ‘1’ on the wild die is a meal that will cause its nourishment rating in stun damage when consumed.

Servings: The number of people who can partake of the food. Any remaining portions can be kept as ‘leftovers’ for -1D stress relief and nourishment per day.

Nourishment: Determines how good the food is at sustaining a body. A body that fails to get at least it’s STR rating of nourishment per day will begin to hunger and eventually starve. A body that gets twice its nourishment requirements will receive benefits to growth. A body that gets three times or more of its nourishment requirements may being to have other health effects, such as excess weight, depending on species.

Stress relief: Generally how ‘good’ the food tastes. Foods with high stress relief values are often called ‘comfort foods’. They don’t always have high nourishment levels.

Ingredients Stores; Pantry

A cook’s kitchen will typically have a store of ingredients; often called a pantry. This is expressed as a die code.
When wishing to prepare a food, the cook can roll as many dice as desired up to a maximum of the pantry die code. If the roll is better than the ingredients requirement, he has what he needs to make the dish. Every ‘1’ on any of the rolled dice will deplete the pantry by 1D.

The pantry is improved by obtaining ingredients; typically grocery shopping.

Common ingredients: add 1 pip to the pantry = 60 credits each. Add 1D to the pantry: =180cr.

Special ingredient: +3 to the pantry roll; single use. Cost: 300cr each.

Exotic ingredient: +5 to the pantry roll; single use. Cost: 500cr each.

Recipes:
Cooks will have their knowledge of recipes determined by their database. For living cooks, this will be personal memory, typically augmented by cook books and stored recipes.

For droid cooks, this will be stored data.

In either case, the cook has a recipe database ‘skill’ as a die code, to be used to roll against a food’s Proliferation rating. Once a cook has established that he knows how to make that particular food, he can list it on his repertoire as a known food. Failure means that he does not know the food and cannot make it until he increases his recipe database, or learns the recipe from another cook, in which case he can spend a character point for another roll.

Galactic Recipes:

This is just a beginning. Any specific recipes, aside from generic 'food' the player wants to invent for the character to make, he can write up and describe in the terms of the system.

Common:

Recipe: Flatbread
Proliferation rating: 5
Ingredients: 5
Preparation: 10
A bread rolled flat and unleavened.
Servings: 4 Nourishment: 1 Stress Relief: 0

Recipe: Jerked Meat
Proliferation rating: 5
Ingredients: 20
Preparation: 20
The user prepares rations from dried cuts of raw meat with flavor and cooking spices. Has a very long shelf life.
Servings: 5 Nourishment: 2 Stress Relief: 1D

Alderaanian:

Recipe: Roast Gorak bird
Proliferation rating: 10
Preparation: 15
Roast Gorak Bird, native to Alderaan, cooked in Malla petals.
Servings: 6 Nourishment: 4 Stress Relief: 3D

Recipe: Kebroot Stew aka Alderaan Stew
Proliferation rating:10
Ingredients: 10
Kebroot is a plant of Alderaan that was frequently stewed.
Servings: 15 Nourishment: 4 Stress Relief: 0

Recipe: Oro Bark
Proliferation rating:15
Ingredients: 15
Made from the bark of the oro tree, sweetened and served in sticks.
Servings: 5 Nourishment: 0 Stress Relief: 2D

Recipe: Ruica
Proliferation rating:10
Preparation: 5
A boiled blue plant. Not particularly tasty, but nourishing.
Servings: 10 Nourishment: 4 Stress Relief: 0

Aqualish:
Recipe:Hoi-broth
Proliferation rating:20
Considered a delicacy; both a soup and a beverage made of boiled seaweed and oxidized spices with a distinct, lingering odour.
Servings: 2 Nourishment: 1 Stress Relief: 1D

Barabel
Recipe: Mimn’yet
Proliferation rating: 15
Meat dish of questionable origin, often served raw and bleeding. Popular with barabels.
Servings: 5 Nourishment: 3 Stress Relief: 1D

Mandalorian Culture:

Recipe: Bilerat Stew
A thick, green-coloured, foul-smelling stew. When kept hot and churning it can stay edible for months.
Servings: 15 Nourishment: 4 Stress Relief: 0

Recipe: Gi-Dumpling soup
The user prepares a heavily-seasoned fish-based stew.
Servings: 15 Nourishment: 3 Stress Relief: 1D

Recipe: Gihaal
The user prepares rations from fresh smoked fish. Has very long shelf life and is a richly nourishing, if not pleasant meal.
Servings: 5 Nourishment: 3 Stress Relief: 0

Recipe: Haarshun Bread
Ingredients: 5
The user prepares bread that is rolled thin enough to see through and then rolled up and baked hard. It keeps for a long time and requires soaking to make it edible again.
Servings: 10 Nourishment: 2 Stress Relief: 0

Recipe: Roast Shatual
Ingredients: 25
Roast shatual is a mandalorian cultural favorite, properly roasted and seasoned with spices and sauce.
Servings: 15 Nourishment: 6 Stress Relief: 4D

Recipe: Red Gourd soup

The user prepares a spicy, sweet and sour soup made primarily from Red Gourd.
Servings: 10 Nourishment: 2 Stress Relief: 2D

Recipe: Skraan’ikase
Proliferation rating: 25
Ingredients: 30
Preparation: 25
The user knows how to prepare a selection and assortment of small celebratory finger-foods.
Servings: 20 Nourishment: 3 Stress Relief: 4D

Recipe: Tiingilar
The user prepares a spicy mandalorian casserole made of meat, vegetables and potent cooking spices. The spicy scent is enough to burn the nose.
Servings: 10 Nourishment: 4 Stress Relief: 4D

Recipe: Uj’alayi aka Uj cake
The user prepares a flat, dense, sticky cake made from crushed nuts, dried fruits and a sweet spiced syrup.
Servings: 4 Nourishment: 4 Stress Relief: 6D

Last edited by Dredwulf60 on Mon May 30, 2016 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not... this topic has come up before... Shocked

What does "stress relief" do?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game mechanics for being a pimp and now for cooking. (It reminds me of the discussion we had about rolling dice to determine if a PC likes food he is eating or not.)

Henceforth, Dredwulf60 shall be known as "The King of Crunch"!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Not that I ever had that title, but I feel like I've been dethroned!
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Believe it or not... this topic has come up before... Shocked

What does "stress relief" do?

Stress relief is a method of attempting to reduce stress on a character. Wink

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5888

Basically the idea is that when morale is down, you can have a treat or a good meal to perk you up.

The net effect is that players really look forward to an awesome meal the droid makes after a long, difficult job.

The tolerance aspect of the system means that if they continue to have the same thing over and over they will eventually become tired of it and will not get the same amount of stress relief from it.

The nutrition factor is only there in case it ever comes into question; ie the ship is stranded and they have dwindling food supplies. How long can the cook stretch it?
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Game mechanics for being a pimp and now for cooking. (It reminds me of the discussion we had about rolling dice to determine if a PC likes food he is eating or not.)

Henceforth, Dredwulf60 shall be known as "The King of Crunch"!

Smile

My philosophy is that whatever is important deserves more detail. We see this in game systems; In a cyberpunk game, the details of operating a computer are very important and have detailed rules system.
In a classic D&D game the wandering monster encounter tables take up a fair chunk of pages, along with the random magic item tables.

WEG has already done this with their sources and supplements.

Want more detail about Pirates? They have a book for that.
Want more detail about special forces? They have a book for that.
Want more detail about bounty hunters? They have a book for that.

So with the ability to fashion rules as you need them; ie you don't need to wait for a publisher, then it only makes sense to create your own detail, when something becomes more important.

When running my jedi padawans campaign, I wrote detailed system for lightsaber construction and a detailed method of tracking and managing the creep of negative feelings and darkside energies.

In my current mandalorians campaign, that isn't important, so I don't bother with that, just like the detailed rules of enhancing a swoop doesn't come into play nearly as often as it did in my Swoop Racers of Tatooine campaign.

So...I gave only a passing thought to foods and culinary arts until...bam, I have a PC droid cook. What governs what he does on the ship for the group?

What kinds of decisions is he going to have to make? What is his incentive for improving his culinary arts skill? How can his primary skill be a true asset to the group?

And this is the result.

I understand that most people have a more free-spirited approach, and choose to game-master narrate most of this stuff, or let the player do so in a free-form dramatic way... But that isn't my style.

But my games are heavy in role-playing. Really. The dice mechanics serve as the building blocks...the structure on which to hang the drama on.

Like in the last game, after a cooking roll...which caused some vomiting among one of the other players...sparked a very enjoyable sequence of RP.

Could the player have simply decided "My droid accidentally makes a meal, forgetting that humans can't stomach it." ? Sure. But it isn't spontaneous.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with this. In my case, I always feel that whatever I am playing, there isn't enough detail for my liking. For example, I always want each character to have enough variety in choices that the rules actually manifest mechanical uniqueness between characters. Makes the RP more interesting... especially since I'm the type of player who isn't into "acting in character."
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Ha! Not that I ever had that title, but I feel like I've been dethroned!

Oh yes, you can be very crunchy. I take it back. I don't want to incite a competition for that title or anything.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Crunch is taken.... King Crunch, then? Rolling Eyes
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have one or two characters in the campaign I just started that will be using the Cooking skill, and am wanting to use at least part of this system in my game. You state that characters must get the appropriate amount of nourishment each day, and that this is related to their Strength attribute, but not exactly how. Could you explain the relationship between the Strength attribute and Nourishment ratings? Is 1 point of Nourishment equal to 1 pip of Strength? If someone has Strength 3D, does that mean that they must consume 9 points of Nourishment per day, or am I way off base?
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
So I have one or two characters in the campaign I just started that will be using the Cooking skill, and am wanting to use at least part of this system in my game. You state that characters must get the appropriate amount of nourishment each day, and that this is related to their Strength attribute, but not exactly how. Could you explain the relationship between the Strength attribute and Nourishment ratings? Is 1 point of Nourishment equal to 1 pip of Strength? If someone has Strength 3D, does that mean that they must consume 9 points of Nourishment per day, or am I way off base?

I haven't delved that deeply into the nourishment aspect. It's kind of a placeholder for future 'crunch' if ever required.

That requirement would occur if ever the characters found themselves in a survival type situation.

"We've got this birthday cake still in the freezer; how long will that keep us going? We really don't want to have to cook up the dead co-pilot."

"Mmmm...mon calamari."

In broad strokes the idea was that you need 1 point of nourishment per Strength die you have per day to be fine.

If you are getting less than that, see it as a reverse damage roll...

You roll your strength attribute as damage to yourself...and you roll 1D per nourishment point you have had to soak your damage.

The idea being that bigger guys need more food.

If you are interested in the cooking; I would highly suggest taking a look at the stress relief system. That's where it really shines...along with alcohol consumption and other things that characters might 'want' even if the players don't give it much thought.

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5888
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some recipes designed and used by one of my players, *Drake Vhett*, who is playing 'Cobber' a cooking droid; These are what he's used in the game so far.

Axi Leaf Broth
Proliferation Rating: 15
Servings: 6 Nourishment: 0 Stress Relief: 4D
Dantooinean- A simple broth made from Axi, most notably grown on Dantooine in large quantities. The broth has little to no nutritional value but packs intense flavor, leaving a tingling in the mouth minutes after consumption.

Crispy Casban Sandwiches
Proliferation Rating: 13
Preparation: 12
Servings: 4 Nourishment: 1 Stress Relief: 2D
Naboo- A slice of simple Casban fish, the best breeds from Naboo, fried and served between soft buns battered with butter.

Fish Shisk
Proliferation Rating: 10
Servings: 8 Nourishment: 2 Stress Relief: 2D
Common- An assortment of seafood skewered on salted wood and cooked in hot coals.

Juri Soaked- Meat Roast
Servings: 2 Nourishment: 2 Stress Relief: 4D
Tatooinian- Meat soaked in Juri Juice, baked in an oven and served with rice and chopped fruit.

Nerf Bumble
Proliferation Rating: 5
Preparation: 25
Servings: 4 Nourishment: 2 Stress Relief: 4D
Common- Baked nerf in a pan covered with biscuit, a layer of greens on the bottom. It is very hard to bake correctly to ensure the biscuits are flaky, the nerf is tender, and the greens crisp.

Toshi Fish Stuffs
Proliferation Rating: 14
Servings: 2 Nourishment: 1 Stress Relief: 3D
Aqualish- Spiced Toshi shrimp is mixed in a creamy sauce with topped greens before being stuffed into a bread roll and baked.

Tropical Subs
Proliferation Rating: 10
Servings: 4 Nourishment: 1 Stress Relief: 2D
Common- A flat, plain bread with a variety of fruits cut up and mixed, sprinkled with a zesty spice to add some tang to it.

Cobber's Cobbler
Proliferation Rating: 25
Ingredients: 18
Servings: 5 Nourishment: 1 Stress Relief: 5D
Custom- A fruit cobbler that is the result of years of refinement on Cobber's part. He custom makes every ingredient and can make it with different fruits. It takes him two hours to make from start to finish, but it is his crowning masterpiece.

Gaadren Mix
Proliferation Rating: 20
Servings: 4 Nourishment: 2 Stress Relief: 2D
Mandalorian (Ordo)- A spicy dish made with beans and slices of Gaadren, a serpent found only on planet Ordo.

Marev Medalions
Proliferation Rating: 20
Preparation: 13
Servings: 4 Nourishment: 1 Stress Relief: 3D
Mandalorian (Ordo)- Fried, salty pastry cups filled with meat and beans. Popular on planet Ordo since it is easily held in the hand to eat on the go.

Neav Cuts
Ingredients: 12
Preparation: 14
Servings: 4 Nourishment: 2 Stress Relief: 3D
Mantellian- Made from the flank of Neav's, grazing animals native to Ord Mantell, the meat is baked before being served
with mashed tubers with a dark sauce.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: