The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Skeleton Crew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Skeleton Crew Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Skeleton Crew Reply with quote

What is the number after the / next to the skeleton crew? I used to know this. Cobwebs of the mind.
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically that's the minimum number to operate the ship; I believe the follow on number was the difficulty modifier added to any checks made when below optimal crew numbers.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured. Some ships that extra diff is very high, I guess hence the need for full crew.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bigger a ship gets, the more superfluous that number becomes.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superfluous?? Don't you mean required?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

No. With small crew ships, like light freighters, having enough crew to operate the vehicle can be a crucial factor in a game. Conversely, when was the last time a group of PCs had to resort to Plan B because they only had 4,999 crew for their captured Star Destroyer (rather than the minimum of 5,000)?

Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

No. With small crew ships, like light freighters, having enough crew to operate the vehicle can be a crucial factor in a game. Conversely, when was the last time a group of PCs had to resort to Plan B because they only had 4,999 crew for their captured Star Destroyer (rather than the minimum of 5,000)?

rofl, we can't jump to hyperspace sir, the astrogater is sick
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several times actually. IN sparks, there has been at least half a dozen (possibly more) modules where part of the mission was to nick a vessel of cap scale, and it was critical to keep X number of droids and NPCs alive, just so that skeleton crew level was still able to be met..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that front, how many people can be replaced by droids and still function?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO a lot of that depends on the functionality of the ship. We saw in the novels that the Katana fleet was automated more so than most ships were, so they needed less crew/could have droids fill in. On a ship that has not 'been retrofitted' that way, i would say only certain functions could be duplicated.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Several times actually. IN sparks, there has been at least half a dozen (possibly more) modules where part of the mission was to nick a vessel of cap scale, and it was critical to keep X number of droids and NPCs alive, just so that skeleton crew level was still able to be met..

And how did Sparks manage that using just the official rules?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manage what? having to require the group of PC's to do all they could to keep a certain # of people alive, or the ship wouldn't fly?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The module that i am thinking of right now, had it where each PC had iirc 3 NPC's and 2 droids they had, and we needed a certain # to be kept alive to make the cap ship we were going to snag.. IIRC we had like 4 droids and 6 npcs we could lose before we dropped below that skeleton limit. BUT cause of the players in the group, having their PCs dodge in the way of bolts, (or take a melee blow meant for), WE were the ones who got bashed and bruised, not them.. In the end i think we only lost 2 actual npcs (one triggered a trip mine, the other none of us were close enough to, to intercept the blaster bolt that eviscerated his head..
From the few times i remember hearing chatter about other runnings of it, one table came 2 beings Under that limit, but had captured 8 or so imps, they conscripted to make up for it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, coming in over the skeleton crew number was more of a story factor than a rules mechanic. The GM either set an arbitrary limit that you had to keep alive, or picked a ship that had that number as a skeleton crew.

What I'm referring to is the actual use of the skeleton crew stat in ship-to-ship combat.

From what you're saying, the ship in the Sparks scenario had a skeleton crew of approximately 20. You'll recall that what I said above was:
Quote:
The bigger a ship gets, the more superfluous that number becomes.
I should clarify that the Skeleton Crew number (and Crew in general, really) becomes more and more useless for actual game use as that number increases.

Here's what I mean:

-Per the RAW, the only official way to inflict casualties on a ship's crew is, when the ship takes damage, roll damage individually against every member of the ship's crew. In your scenario above, that's ~24 individual soak rolls every time the ship takes a hit. And a Star Destroyer has around 37,000 crew. So while the RAW method is acceptable for 4-6 PCs on a freighter, it rapidly becomes silly and time consuming as it is applied to ships with larger and larger crews.

-Even when a way is found to apply crew casualties, there are no interim steps in difficulty. For example:
    -An ISD has a crew of 36,810.

-Because of the vagaries of the RAW, that same ISD can take 31,809 casualties (reducing its available crew to 5,001) and still function without penalty.

-However, if it takes just one more casualty (reducing the crew to 5,000), all difficulty levels immediately jump by +20.

-Lose just 1 more (reducing the crew to 4,999), and the ship is rendered inoperable.

Ridiculous? Absolutely. But that's the RAW.

The RAW, yet again, is broken. Fixing it requires another house rule.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: