The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Skeleton Crew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Skeleton Crew Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was more we needed the crew to get TO the ship and take it over.. Not that we were already on the ship.. Which is where it seems the confusion comes in here..

And with all these house rules, rewrites of rules, rewrites of mechanics/stats etc, it almost seems to me like you are completely redoing the entire 2e system.. Almost.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I enjoy the system as a whole, I don't revere it as flawless. If I see an error, I'd rather correct it than accept it. My stat edits, for example, primarily center around things that WEG itself says various vehicles can do, yet these abilities are not represented in the stats.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you mention it, g, you seem resistant, if not outright opposed, to making changes to altering WEG's official material, even if there are demonstrable flaws or omissions. Why is that?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not resistant to change outright. BUT more resistant to change on it, a lot of which seems to just be based on what the cartoon shows. or in your case, makig a LOT of changes..

Some changes/edits/revisions, sure. BUT when you get into the # you are going for all over the place here, it seems you might be better off served just writing out a whole new rulebook.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Not resistant to change outright. BUT more resistant to change on it, a lot of which seems to just be based on what the cartoon shows. or in your case, makig a LOT of changes..

I'm pretty sure CRM's system updates are not primarily based on cartoons. He hardly ever refers to cartoons so I don't think he watches them regularly. From what I've been able to gather, his primary basis seems to be the films and the EU.

I will speak definitively for myself and affirm that cartoons are very close to zero priority for me.

garhkal wrote:
Some changes/edits/revisions, sure. BUT when you get into the # you are going for all over the place here, it seems you might be better off served just writing out a whole new rulebook.

Working on it. I'm putting together a "beta" rulebook based primarily on R&E/REUP in general outline, but including several personal tweaks to the stats and system I want to test out for my next campaign. I've chosen to go with CRM's vehicle/starship stats and scale system (and lean on some of his other stuff). There's nothing wrong with any GM making their own version of the game.

But let me be boldly clear that my revision is still very much the D6 system. It is still a skill-based system that uses d6s with no classes, feats or levels. D6 Space is essentially WEG Star Wars 3rd edition with the IP stripped, and so to describe the relationship of my revision to what has been officially published, my version of the game could be considered a 4th edition. The basic mechanics are not changed, only tweaked in some cases. CRM's revisions are probably overall a little closer to R&E than I am.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I'm pretty sure CRM's system updates are not primarily based on cartoons. He hardly ever refers to cartoons so I don't think he watches them regularly. From what I've been able to gather, his primary basis seems to be the films and the EU.

I will speak definitively for myself and affirm that cartoons are very close to zero priority for me.

And for me as well. garhkal, I don't know where you got the impression that I base my stats on the cartoons, but you're wrong. While I have no problem incorporating the cartoons' original vehicles and equipment to flesh out the existing universe, I don't consider them to be a reliable source for information on pre-existing stats.

The changes I make to ship and vehicle stats are based almost exclusively on two factors:
    A). Film Evidence, specifically when a WEG stat or rule contradicts what is seen in the films.

B). Internal Inconsistency, where WEG's own material contradicts itself.

I have also incorporated optional rules from established video games like the X-Wing and TIE Fighter series, as well as a few others. In every case, however, I've backed the changes with evidence-based reasoning as to why I think the change is justified.

As far as the RAW, I apply similar reasoning, in that, if a WEG published rule either contradicts the films or doesn't serve a useful purpose (such as, for example, the Skeleton Crew stat on most capital ships), it should be changed.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason i brought that up, is it seems a # of the ships and other things you are coming up with stats/reasons for existing, do seem to be focused on just stuff in the cartoons.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The reason i brought that up, is it seems a # of the ships and other things you are coming up with stats/reasons for existing, do seem to be focused on just stuff in the cartoons.

You must be mistaking me for someone else. The cartoons are shootingwomprats' area of interest, not mine. My stat re-write is focusing on ships from WEG's three core sourcebooks. As in, not from the cartoons. A sizeable fraction of the original stats I post are ships mentioned in name only in WEG publications, but never statted out.

Unless you can provide me with specific examples, I can only assume you are seeing something in what I'm doing that isn't actually there.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

You must be mistaking me for someone else. The cartoons are shootingwomprats' area of interest, not mine.

DOH, you are right. I humbly apologize for mistaking you for him... Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: