The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Transfer Force
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Transfer Force Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stule
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Transfer Force Reply with quote

Hey Guys!

Gotta Question.

I am the GM in my game. I have a neat game mechanic I want to use but I don't know if it's to over board or not.

(Note: All the characters that I am talking about are NPC's)

I have an old woman Quasi Jedi (Control 3D, Sense 3D, and Alter 3D) training a wanna be Jedi (Control 1D, Sense 1D, and Alter 1D). Now during their training on a remote ice world, a Dark Jedi finds them (A Darth Maul wannabe). The student hides while the teacher fights him. The teacher ends up as a shishkabob on the end of the Dark Jedi's saber (Can you say Qui Gon Jin?). The Dark Jedi continues to search for the student (his true target). The student comes out of hiding to be with her master before she dies.

Now here is the kicker....

I want the old woman teacher (and yes I know she is too low to do this or it may be illegal or so out there that it shouldn't be allowed) to be able to transfer some of her power to her student. Not all of it, but like 2D of it, so that the student will now have Control 3D, Sense 3D, and Alter 3D.
It would be her masters final gift to her.

So after all that, what do you guys think. I mean they are NPC's (they are part of the bigger story, the student is the wife of one of the PC's) and they are GM controlled characters. Do you think that could happen without destroying the feeling of Star Wars?

Confused

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Stule
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... that does go against everything we know about the Force, but as always, it's your game. In my opinion it's too much out there, I mean, gaining a total of 6D in Force Skills instantly as a final "death gift" from you master sure doesn't feel right to me. The most I could realistically accept would be a temporary bonus right as the master dies and the pupil rushes to her side, kinda like the force spirit clinging to her pupil a little longer to aid him in this battle.
Stule
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

Thanks for the feedback.

Guess I will rework my story.

Peace.

Stule
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the case of Palpatine impowering some of his minions with the Force in Dark Empire II, but that suggests it would be a dark side power rather than something a Jedi would do.

Wanted Poster
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think it's too far out.

How about if the teacher passes information leading to an ancient Jedi holocron instead? Of course it will take the student several game sessions to find, overcome the obstacles, and aquire it - all the time avoiding being detected by the dark adept that slew her teacher...

Last edited by Volar the Healer on Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Allembrande
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not award like 100xp, and tell the PC what to spend it on...It could be that that moment was very revealing.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100xp? Do you mean character points? That seems like quite a bit. The most I would ever grant in a situation like this is +1D in the skill of thier choice.
Stule
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

Thanks for all the idea's.

I actually came up with a race that had an ability to pass on a few skills at death to their own kind.

Kinda like an Elder (old guy dying, etc.) giving some of his knowledge to his young student.

I made it a racial ability that can only be done at death with one of their own race and must be supervised by others of the same race.

The only problem is that it wasn't supervised and the student went crazy due to the knowledge and fell to the Darkside.

Now the student is hunting the party for letting the the ceremony take place in the first place.

It was actually kinda funny.

Again, thanks for all the great input.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the game masters i have played under, 2 did have rules for this.

The first, Garros, had it that a jedi when dying, could make a roll of a force power they had called essence of the force (con, sense and alter, base diff was 15/15/20 mod by relationship and prox) to someone else. If they succeed, they could transfer 1D of a skill for each 2d they had in that skill. This would last for 1 day per D granted.

The second gm, Kim, had a similar system, but her times was 2 hrs per d transfered. And her power would be useable while a person was alive, though as a down side, if a person who you transfered the force to died, those D you transfered to him would be lost.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of these days i will scan that sheet and get it up here as a reference guide to the force powers, it has every force power imagined, plus a few..

Transfer Force is a Control+Sense+Alter special ability.
there is also one called Transfer Life which is the same powers as above

and then there is one called Life Merge which is CTR SNS ALT

so i guess the jedi could just pick, but somewhere in there is a darkside point, or four, i dont quite remember... (2 DSP if the target is willing, 4 if they are not)
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of these days i will scan that sheet and get it up here as a reference guide to the force powers, it has every force power imagined, plus a few..

Transfer Force is a Control+Sense+Alter special ability.
there is also one called Transfer Life which is the same powers as above

and then there is one called Life Merge which is CTR SNS ALT

so i guess the jedi could just pick, but somewhere in there is a darkside point, or four, i dont quite remember... (2 DSP if the target is willing, 4 if they are not)
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, I would consider this acceptable, it is your storry (I personally might limit the transfer to 1D in each). I think, in some ways it is right in line with the force, as we know "The force is mysterious" as is said in the rule books. This would possibly fall under one of those mentioned "other awards" in the GM section of the books.

I would say, if you are comfortable with doing it, and do not feel it will unbalance your campaign, then by all means.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question that goes along witht his topic.
If the dying Jedi is going to do a transfer force, would the DSP go to the dying one, or the recieving one?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehlin Yew wrote:
I have a question that goes along witht his topic.
If the dying Jedi is going to do a transfer force, would the DSP go to the dying one, or the recieving one?

What Dark Side Point are you refering to? In the situation described and the nature of what's going on I do not see where anyone would receive a Dark Side Point at all.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhh yeah, in the transfer life/force and all that jazz, you get one DSP for trying it, and if the target is willing you get another, if they aren't then you get two more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: