The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Benefits of Training
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> The Benefits of Training Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Thinking about this, what if you subdivided skill dice even further.

Base character creation, you get 7D to divide among skills. If you want, you can break each D into 3 "pips". But what if you could break each pip into 2-3 "slots", representing that you have a base familiarity with the skill, even if it's just at your base stat?.

So each 'slot' just adds another skill they get to write in under the attribute?

Essentially, yes. So, someone without spending any slots or skills would just have

Dexterity 2D

Someone who spent slots on some Dex skills would have

Dexterity 2D
Blaster
Dodge
Lightsaber

They still roll 2D for those skills, but, if you're not going to let people default at their attribute, this would allow them to do so without a large expenditure.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good idea. Even though this venturing off topic a little bit, I see potential for in-game use as well:

A character can spend, say, 1 CP to add the skill to his sheet, rather than paying 3 or 4 CPs to raise it by a pip. It allows for more "talented" characters to learn stuff for no extra cost relative to less "talented" characters.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

Essentially, yes. So, someone without spending any slots or skills would just have

Dexterity 2D

Dexterity 2D
Blaster
Dodge
Lightsaber

They still roll 2D for those skills, but, if you're not going to let people default at their attribute, this would allow them to do so without a large expenditure.

In that case, how are you going to determine how many "Initial skills" they would start with Under the attribute??
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

Also, it ventures a little bit outside the realm of what I'm trying to address with this thread: raising a skill for "less" by committing to a training program which forces the character into a specific curriculum rather than allowing that character to spend his CPs as he wishes.

There is one more aspect to it that I use. So far it's just been kind of a tutor/pupil sort of thing, but it has use in a more formal training regime.

If a player wants to learn a technique/ talent that another player or NPC has and that other is going to train them then you state that you are learning/teaching.

After a set period of time based on the talent/technique being learned the student only has to make a single roll and spend 3 CPs. The teacher, if he has a teaching skill can assist the roll with his teaching dice.

The benefit is that the teacher is taking out the randomness of having to successfully use the technique/talent 'in the field' three separate times consecutively. A character can also learn the technique/talent with the teacher's help, even with a relatively low skill rating.

I could see grouping a bunch of talents and techniques into a 'curriculum' for a training course.

My philosophy behind making up the talents and techniques is that each is a kind of stunt that theoretically anyone with the skill could do with enough practice/ training...without having to make a new skill just to govern it.

The first one I made was 'quick draw' because before that I had a quick draw skill....but who wants to put a bunch of CPs in such a narrow skill?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Once again, I think the "mechanical expression" of the concept is nicely executed.

8)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of why i made a thread a while back about whether someone with a very high dice pool should be able to 'tutor' more than just one pupil at a time..
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
It's kind of why i made a thread a while back about whether someone with a very high dice pool should be able to 'tutor' more than just one pupil at a time..

I would think so. Off the top of my head, I'd use something like MAPs but instead of # of actions, it would be # of students.

On the other hand I'd have the teacher make a teaching skill roll and base the difficulty on the number of students in some fashion. If successful then every student in the class gets a bonus to their roll to learn.

This would allow a great teacher to really help students learn, even the weak ones.

It would allow a mediocre teacher to help most of the students learn; the strong ones would learn regardless, the weak might still fail, but have at least a better chance.

It would allow for a very poor teacher with students who are still successful, based on their own skills, but with poor students who are left behind when it comes to the final exams.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Dexterity 2D

Dexterity 2D
Blaster
Dodge
Lightsaber

In that case, how are you going to determine how many "Initial skills" they would start with Under the attribute??

Since this system assumes a bias against defaulting , I would say you start with no skills at all... just your 7D, divided how you see fit between skills, specialties, and slots.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add to your idea the teacher (PC or not) can only reduce CP to half up to the level of his skills or his instruction skill, whichever is less.

This would explain why college professors know a lot, but can't teach; and all their students come out idiots, but believe they're smart. (Low skill levels, but lots of attitude.) It also explains that "one good teacher" we all had.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would say that there are definitely good instructors that make a difference to the overall result.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: