The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Roll Play vs Roleplay; the spectrum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Roll Play vs Roleplay; the spectrum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Roll Play vs Roleplay; the spectrum Reply with quote

So all GMs are aware that there is a spectrum to any RPG.

On the one end, have an interactive narrative with your players, where no dice are ever rolled. The players state their actions and provide their dialogue and the GM decides the outcome based on the established information and what he/she feels is desired for the narrative.

On the other end is a game where actions are decided by players and dice and tables are consulted to determine the results of all outcomes, even to the point of players actions and reactions being dictated by the framework of the dice and game system.

Every game fits somewhere along this spectrum and likely shifts position depending on the circumstances.

I've often seen people with the opinion that pure role play is better than roll-play. I went through that phase myself; but to me, now, I've come to believe that good roll-play can stimulate good roleplay.

In a way, it's like when you have actors on a set with nothing but green-screen to interact with. The director tells them: "You are in a big arena, there are thousands of spectators here to watch your death...the monsters are now coming to get you....now act!"

But if you have a practical set and actual stunt men in monster-suits, its easier for the actors to give a good performance, because they have cues to how they should respond.

In an RPG, I believe the dice-rolling serves the same purpose. The results of the dice rolls are not the end of the process, but an indication for the player on how to interpret the events.

This is probably why my games have more 'crunch', because I like to give my players a sophisticated framework that they can hang their performances on.

Part of my philosophy is player agency; giving my players the illusion that they can go anywhere and do anything they like...as long as they are willing to take the consequences of their actions. And they can judge those consequences fairly accurately by knowing that the dice, not the GM will play a large part in their fate.

ie, years ago, I used to have my player parties refuse to retreat, thinking that there is no way the GM would set them up against something that was beyond their ability to handle.

Now, my players know better.

Looking for other thoughts on where GMs stand in the spectrum.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lean more to the roll over role, as often having that framework in place, keeps everyone in check. It makes them all aware of what they can/can't do, and everyone's on an even playing field. Where as often at the other end of the spectrum, where someone's Role playing, subsumes over their character's stats, favoritism or how WELL a player can act/is glib/intelligent over the DM/GM/Story teller, or situation.
In those games, i often wonder WHY even keep having character sheets where those mental/social skills are worried about if they are going to be effectively ignored in favor of Player skill.

BUT then you have the opposite end of the spectrum, where if you are only going by the stats on a sheet, why even have players run them. It is akin to a catch 22 situation.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the farther a player has a char from his own skill set the more roll seems to matter.

as with most pnp gaming it's a bell curve. somewhere in the middle is the best, and hardest to achieve. gm and players both affect it. I have played under a number of gms, systems, settings, it always took me a bit to get used to role vs roll side of the bell. I also have a tendency to be a rules lawyer, I learned to not argue with gm, but that was hard.

there is another thing. pbp games lean to role. irc and in person games tend to be more flexible.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend not to like role play, as I feel like it can get a little silly after a minute or so.

As I've played more games, I have migrated to almost playing in 3rd person.

My life experience has taugjt me that the rolling should always trump the role play, especially when the character is an expert at something that neither the player or GM is... the tactics skill and various repair skills come to mind: kowing what it takes to achieve a certain effect (raw materials, manpower, equipment, etc) changes the way I interpret a GM's handling of certain scenarios.

In any case, I feel that beyond the player speaking as the character (not necessarily "in character") role play is overrated, but for those who like it and enjoy it, a certainly can boost the overall fun for all involved.

This is also why I am so interested in finding ways to modify the rules to help express variations between characters: functionally, there is no real difderence in a cinematic figjt between a heavy blaster pistol (5D) and a blaster rifle (5D). But I feel like if a party consists of a rebel infantryman and a fugitive gunslinger, there should be a rules-based difference in how their weapons are expressed mechanically anx in what the characters can do with them in the actual fight. Calll me crunchy, but that's how I roll Wink
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This came up a bit in a conversation I had with 'Shooting womp rats' a little while ago. Whereas he prefers a cinematic style that omits all of the tedious details, such as getting from place to place, unless there is a good scene payoff to it, I prefer to play out the travel where practical.

In my opinion and experience, It's easy for the GM to say 'You've trekked through the jungle for 6 hours, and now you've come to your destination...(insert descriptive text).

But unless you've got a certain brand of attentive and imaginative players, they won't really appreciate the 6 hour trek through the jungle. It's come and gone like a wipe-transition. Are they tired from the walk? Hungry? Have bugs been eating at them? How many wet areas have they had to wade through? What has the wet and damp done to their weapons and equipment readiness?

Even if it's something as simple as using up 15 minutes of playtime having the group make various rolls... Perception checks to look for ambushes, stamina checks to overcome the fatigue of hacking through the thick brush, Jungle survival rolls to help keep the wildlife at bay...Weapons and equipment rolls to make sure they hold their blaster rifles over their heads as they wade through the chest-deep marsh...

Describing these things is a nice step, but the rolls give you concrete results that can really help shape the perception of what the characters are going through.

Roll a complication on the dex check to wade the river?....the character trips and get totally doused. Low roll on the survival? Blood sucking insects infest the character. Make a very good perception roll while looking for ambushes; the GM can describe an exotic bird the character notices.

In the end, the main thing is that the players feel like their characters have been on a bit of a trek, even if nothing really concrete comes of it.

It's like in a lot of videogames where the character goes to do something, and you are prompted to repeatedly mash the 'X' button while a bar fills up until the effect happens...like opening a rusty door.

Sure the game could have had you press the 'X' once, or even just have it open automatically when the character gets near it. But having you mash that 'X' button increases the sense of player agency; that the player is actually doing the action.

Smoke and mirrors.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
This came up a bit in a conversation I had with 'Shooting womp rats' a little while ago. Whereas he prefers a cinematic style that omits all of the tedious details, such as getting from place to place, unless there is a good scene payoff to it, I prefer to play out the travel where practical.

In my opinion and experience, It's easy for the GM to say 'You've trekked through the jungle for 6 hours, and now you've come to your destination...(insert descriptive text).

But unless you've got a certain brand of attentive and imaginative players, they won't really appreciate the 6 hour trek through the jungle. It's come and gone like a wipe-transition. Are they tired from the walk? Hungry? Have bugs been eating at them? How many wet areas have they had to wade through? What has the wet and damp done to their weapons and equipment readiness?

All good points, and something i often hit on in games, such as getting to a cliff face, and you think there are stairs up to that cathederal on the mountain's plateau, but which of the 3 caves ahead of you has it.. Make that survival or search roll to spot which cave has the most footprints going in and out, compared to which has the footprints of an father-mother-2 bear cub group hiding inside...

Dredwulf60 wrote:

Describing these things is a nice step, but the rolls give you concrete results that can really help shape the perception of what the characters are going through.

Especially when those failures of checks can mean concrete in game effects, such as trekking across that desert environ for 8 days.. Make 3 survival rolls, failure of 2 straight gives a wound from dehydration/heat exhaustion.

A lot of the role vs roll comes to a head too with player vs character knowledge, often referred to as metagaming when a player is subbing HIS knowledge for what his character wouldn't know..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Metagaming Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
A lot of the role vs roll comes to a head too with player vs character knowledge, often referred to as metagaming when a player is subbing HIS knowledge for what his character wouldn't know..

I feel a lot of GMs get overly hung up on metgaming, but then again I admit I just haven't had the bad experiences I read about some of you having with power gamers that behave poorly and try to take unfair advantage of knowledge their PCs shouldn't have. That's just not in the spirit of the game at all, and the psychology behind this gamer mentality just baffles me. The point of roleplaying is to create an entertaining stories for all involved, and I guess I've just been blessed with not having to be so 'defensive' of a GM.

Some level of metagaming is impossible to completely eliminate because we all know what we know. Players are just pretending to be someone else in another galaxy pretending we don't know a lot of things we do know. Some metagaming is even an inherent aspect of the game. Players can see each other's character sheets and know each other's skills. Players know specific wound statuses of other PCs, and anything else stated by the GM about a certain PC to the group as a whole. I allow a minimal amount of out-of-universe player discussion for brief tactical discussions including giving suggestions to other players as to their PCs' actions, even during combat. Beyond that I do allow metagaming to a point in some circumstances, and I even encourage it in some respects. If by a PC's background, the character could reasonably know some bit of information about a planet or alien species that the player knows, I'm not necessarily going to require a Knowledge roll to see if the character knows it. However my players know that the campaign takes place in a universe parallel to the canon universe and the EU, so not everything they know is necessarily the same in the game world, so you can't always assume something to be true in my game. In cases where it's very unlikely the PC would know the player metaknowledge, I'll usually require the roll. And on the other end, if there is no way a character could possibly know something a player knows, then a roll won't help.

Most of my early campaign universes were sent in the classic era but contradicted sequel continuity so there was no future metaplot to maintain, so anything could happen (and did). However for many years I've enjoyed having the films and some other continuity be inviolable metaplot in the game. So while no PC could possibly know the future, the players do know some of it and have to make sure they don't have their PCs do anything that could alter it. I rarely even have the opportunity come up to possibly even change something, but on very special occasions it might.

Here's a good example of metagaming in my game:

One time in an adventure taking place before TESB, the PCs were supposed to track down an Imperial fugitive with info vital to the Alliance, but the players had flubbed some rolls, and the PCs missed some clues and made a couple decisions that put them off track. The players were disagreeing over the course of action to take next, with two saying they should go back to the previous planet they had been on. So I thought it would serve the adventure for the PCs to find out that Boba Fett had just landed in the same spaceport. I thought that the rumor getting around of bounty hunters (including of Fett's reputation level) being there tracking an Imperial bounty would be a clue to the PCs that they were on the right planet, and that I could also use that plot development to have the fugitive be flushed out and reveal his presence so the PCs could get back on course to finding him, now with the added urgency that they were competing against Fett, who I thought would remain in the background and I never planned on the PCs directly encountering.

The players took the hint they were on the right planet, but were worried about coming into conflict with him because, despite knowing my low personal opinion of Boba Fett, he should be "metaplot protected" by future film sequel continuity, which gave him an advantage over them. On the previous planet, the PCs had learned there were multiple high-credit fugitives with bounties in the system they were currently in due to the system being known to be a haven for outlaws that gives bounty hunters a hard time (as a motivation to come to the current planet in the first place). So the players tracked down the whereabouts of some other time-sensitive bounty offered by Jabba the Hutt of a slightly higher value in the same system (an outlaw who wasn't too hard to find but was strategically protected and hard to take down). Then the PC approached Fett to make an offer to trade the Hutt fugitive's location to Boba Fett and assist him with the capture of the fugitive, for only a very small cut of the bounty, under the guise of the PCs being novice hunters that didn't stand a chance of capturing the Hutt outlaw on their own (and also wanting to learn from the best). They both roleplayed and rolled for the con really well, and intentionally let Boba Fett bargain down their cut a little, so Boba Fett accepted their offer on the basis of this being a quicker and easier job then the one he had likely come to that system for but the same amount of reward for him. Fett called the shots and made sure he wasn't ever in the position to be double-crossed by the PCs, but the players were extra motivated to make sure no harm came to Boba Fett. They completed this side job meant to side-track Fett, and Fett kept his end of the deal then left the system with his new bounty. Then the PCs took advantage of an idea I had planted in the form of a side comment Fett had made when they had been working with him, and the PCs successfully tracked down the Imperial fugitive. Fearing the PCs were bounty hunters after hearing they had worked with Boba Fett, it took some extra roleplayed convincing to get him to trust the PCs and help the Alliance. Then the adventure ended much closer to my original plan with an encounter with non-film bounty hunters the PCs could (and did) destroy to get away. I even added an impromptu cutaway denouement scene where Boba Fett comes back to his ship after collecting his bounty from Jabba, accesses his ship's computer and finds out about new Imperial bounties for the PCs due to suspected affiliation with the Rebel Alliance and a known association with the Imperial fugitive of the story. With the hint of a grin on his face, Fett said, "Son of a-" -Queue SW End Title music.

After introducing Fett to the story, I had planned on having the enemy group of hunters be larger than I had originally planned, and then when the final confrontation came be smaller (back to the originally planned size) with the leader gloating to the PCs that they had a run-in with Boba Fett that killed off a couple of his team members but left Fett wounded, to explain to the PCs why he was out of the story. But the players took the adventure in an unexpected direction, and it became a much more fun and memorable adventure because of metagaming. For their plan, the players specifically chose to find a bounty wanted by Jabba because the players meta-knew that Boba Fett had worked with Jabba both before and after the adventure took place, which would give me one less reason to have Fett reject their offer. I realized this metagaming but instead of having the players make streetwise rolls to see if their PCs would know Boba Fett worked for Jabba, I just went with it. Actually I never even required the players to roll to see if their PCs had even ever heard of Boba Fett before, just allowing some of the meta-knowledge the players have stand because it was not impossible for at least one of the PCs to have heard of Fett and know of his reputation. In a small way Boba Fett actually helped them find the fugitive they had been having such a hard time in finding. The PCs' Imperial bounties were a big source of pride for the players because of the events that lead to them, and how players had learned of their bounties was icing on the cake - Cutaway scenes are also metaknowledge - The players found out about their PCs having Imperial bounties before the PCs could have learned about them, but that's ok.

I give out bonus CPs to players for creative metagaming and protection of film continuity, and for contriving realistic in-universe reasons for the PCs actions really made out of player metagaming.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: ROLL vs. ROLEplay Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Looking for other thoughts on where GMs stand in the spectrum.

Maybe to add just a little balance and variety to the general discussion of the OP subject, I'll chime in a little about that too. I've always been pretty much by the book when it comes to these things in WEG SW.

When the game is in session, I do lean on dice rolling on all things that really matter, which is almost everything. In between adventures, and even in some cases during adventures where one PC is separated from the group and offscreen from the main narrative, I can hand waive some things without requiring rolls (especially when writing a PC in or out of an adventure based on player availability for a game session). I make judgement calls of what should require rolls based on the circumstances.

As far as the social interaction and personal influence skills specifically, the rule books give guidance on the balance between dice rolling and roleplaying affecting the outcome. Both are important but sometimes one is more important than the other, and part of being a good GM is being able to make those judgement calls. Even when the dice have the most consideration, in my game most character interactions are still roleplayed out, because this is a roleplaying game. One thing we don't bother roleplaying out is haggling over a price of something when it's open to negotiation - We just let the opposed bargain skills do their thing and get to the final price, and then the seller and buyer can decide if the final price is acceptable to go through with the transaction or not.

IMO dice rolling for randomness can be taken too far though, like rolling dice to determine if a character likes a certain type of food or not. To me, that's silly. Players are co-creators of a group narrative, and minor details like that do not always have to be determined by me or by chance. My players know they can often ad lib stuff like that, and insert newly determined minor details of retroactive continuity about their character and some other things.

As far as the 6 hour hike through the jungle, it really depends on if that is a significant part of the story of the adventure or not. If the story of the adventure doesn't really get started until after the hike, then the hike might be a part of the opening crawl and I may just tell the players that at the start of the adventure, the PCs are fatigued and annoyed from insect bites when they come out of the jungle. If the story of the adventure started sooner and the jungle trek is in the middle of the adventure, but it's still not meant to be a significant part of the adventure, I probably would require a few rolls like survival to determine the outcome of the trek but them move on with the story. If the jungle trek is supposed to be a significant part of the story, then we will play out more details with a lot more dice rolls dealing with animal, plant and other natural dangers of the jungle trek.

This is a roleplaying game. Both words are important. The dice rolling is a part of what makes it a game (specifically a simulation of cinematic reality). The roleplaying is what makes it an RPG and not a board or mini game. For my 1e GM screens, I had made a player-facing sign that simply said "Role, not roll". This did not mean that roleplaying trumps dice rolling. If there isn't a strong presence of systematic game mechanics for simulation of the cinematic reality, then it is more like a collaborative story made by people sitting around a campfire, singing kumbaya when they're done. My sign was a reminder to players to not let the game be reduced to a mere series of dice rolls. It was a reminder to play the role they are supposed to be playing. As GM, the dice rolls are my domain. I'm in charge of deciding when dice rolls are appropriate, determining what rules apply to them, and the outcome of them. The players roll the dice when I tell them to. The players' primary concern is playing the roles of their PCs and staying in character.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Metagaming Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I feel a lot of GMs get overly hung up on metgaming, but then again I admit I just haven't had the bad experiences I read about some of you having with power gamers that behave poorly and try to take unfair advantage of knowledge their PCs shouldn't have. That's just not in the spirit of the game at all, and the psychology behind this gamer mentality just baffles me. The point of roleplaying is to create an entertaining stories for all involved, and I guess I've just been blessed with not having to be so 'defensive' of a GM.

And i agree, some GMs don't get as hung up on it as others do, but it does often have almost as much of an impact over where players are Roll play vs Role as how the Dm runs things.

Whill wrote:
Some level of metagaming is impossible to completely eliminate because we all know what we know. Players are just pretending to be someone else in another galaxy pretending we don't know a lot of things we do know. Some metagaming is even an inherent aspect of the game. Players can see each other's character sheets and know each other's skills. Players know specific wound statuses of other PCs, and anything else stated by the GM about a certain PC to the group as a whole. I allow a minimal amount of out-of-universe player discussion for brief tactical discussions including giving suggestions to other players as to their PCs' actions, even during combat

That is also true, All forms of Meta-knowledge can't (nor shouldn't) be eliminated, as that is somewhat cramping down on "player union (not sure if that's the word' in that the player should be allowed to do/say what they want (within the rules framework)..
But neither is letting anything go good either.. So one needs to find a balance.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Metagaming Reply with quote

First of all, thanks fellows, for indulging in this conversation. I enjoy talking 'bout this stuff.

I remember when metagame knowledge was a bane for me, but having an ongoing core group of players for many years helped to tamp it down. They knew what I would tolerate and they helped to school any newcomers.

Early on I took action to ruthlessly suppress it. It was pretty draconian of me, in retrospect, but it worked and it never became as much of a problem again. The specific problem was when other players would be giving suggestions for actions of a character...when their characters weren't there.

A little bit is okay....but it was constant and pervasive.

I got so sick of saying "Be quiet, you aren't there." And my players knew that they could blurt out what they wanted to say...and when it was out mission accomplished, then they could just say sorry and wait for the next time they needed to blurt something 'helpful' again.

Many might say, "What's the big deal?" But sometimes you want solitary players to actually be able to decide things on their own...otherwise every single decision becomes a committee decision. Especially when the decision is something that a character would probably do...except the player doesn't see where it might have negative consequences further down the road, or when it should be something like an emotionally driven reaction.

My heavy-handed decision?

GM fiat: "Thou shalt not take action suggested by the table-talk." In practice: I would disallow a character to take any action that was suggested by another player from across the table...who didn't have a character present in the scene.

We'd get results like:

Player 1:"I think I'm going to shoot this guy. I pull out my blaster..."

Player-not-at-scene: "Hey...don't shoot him...use the stun setting and just knock him out.

"Player 1: "Oh, thanks. I was GOING to stun him...but now that you said that, I can't."

Rest of the group: "Way to go, Player-not-at-scene..."

A few months of that rule in effect, like 20 years ago, and I have never had to enforce it again.

We had one player though, who often tried to circumvent metagame knowledge by asking VERY specific questions in order for his character to get the information that he thought he should be party to.

In one D&D game, two characters from the group went to investigate a tower for danger while the rest camped out and healed nearby. They soon found that the tower was inhabited by a friendly wizard who brought them in for hospitality. Fed them well, gave them beautiful servant girls to see to their comfort...all in all they had a great time.

Until the spell wore off and they found that the great food was nothing but molding bread with excrement and the servant girls were zombies enslaved to the necromancer. Suffice they got free and they decided not to share certain parts of the experience with the others out of personal embarrassment. Of course everyone at the table knew what had happened...but the other characters did not.

Soon as they got back, AL, the player I'm talking about has his character ask:
AL "Hey, what happened in the tower?"
Other players: "Aww..Nothing much. Just some crazy old man."
AL: "Hm. You guys didn't get hungry or anything? Did you guys stay for dinner?"

Other players: "Uhhh...no. Why?"

AL: "Well...you guys were gone for a while. I thought maybe you might have had company or something. You didn't see any zombie girls or anything?"

Other players: "Nope. Nothing like that."

AL: "Are you sure? Because you could tell me if something happened in that tower..."

We came to call this the 'AL effect' because it was typical for this player.

Whill wrote:

like rolling dice to determine if a character likes a certain type of food or not. To me, that's silly.

I can see that, from a certain point of view. But the way I see it, something like can certainly be decided by the player, but like the actor with nothing but green-screen, sometimes they would do better with at least something to spark their decision on whether they like it or not.

In once sense you could show them a photo from a cook book and let them decide whether it would taste good; but the character could be completely different than the player, like a regular civilian player having a military tactical genius for a character they need dice to help them flesh out their character reactions.

The GM could tell them "Your character would probably like this; it was made by one of the best chefs on the planet." It might even be part of the GM's scene to treat the characters with one of the most sumptuous banquets they have ever experienced. Sure a player could arbitrarily decide (perhaps just to be difficult and disrupt the scene) that their character HATES that food. But it WOULD be fairly arbitrary.

Or you could have a system where a dice roll lets them know just how well prepared the food is and that might influence them as to how well they decide that the characters like it.

A lot of players might like that extra stimulus. I know if their characters were eating a steak, my players would probably be asking me "Is it a thick cut? Is it medium rare the way I asked for it? What kind of sauce did it come with?"

A simple dice roll, where it gives them a grade as to how well they like it can inform the player to come to these conclusions on their own, and then roleplay it. Consider 3 of the 4 players get a roll indicating pretty positive results, but one gets a very low result. He can now decide WHY his character hates it while its a hit with his buddies.

Just an example where roll-play can enhance roleplay. It can spur imagination, just like a random effect chart can spur a GM's imagination. It can be tedious to come up with things from the blank sheet every time, right?

Not trying to sway, just elaborating my own view. And plugging my culinary arts system thread. Wink

Whill wrote:
Cutaway scenes are also metaknowledge

When I was running my Jedi padawans campaign, in between sessions I would write out short stories as told from NPC points of view, usually things that happened 'off camera' with regards to the PCs. Especially of things pertaining to the next session.

For example, at the end of a game session, they had to eject from a ship and the escape pod was falling toward an unknown planet.

The story I wrote up was from the point of view of a mine worker on that planet. It described how hot and humid the planet was, what the working conditions were like...how the shielding kept the giant carnivore lizards out of the mining camp and in the jungle where they belonged. And at the end of the story, he looked up to see a streak of fire as an escape pod came down...into the jungle. His words were akin to "Those poor b@st@rd*...the Tyrannatauns will be on them before we can get to them..."

This was useful metagame info to them; they knew that they were going to be in a fight for their lives with dinosaur-type monsters and that it was going to be an unbearably hot jungle...but if they could hold out long enough a rescue was coming.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
First of all, thanks fellows, for indulging in this conversation. I enjoy talking 'bout this stuff.

I remember when metagame knowledge was a bane for me, but having an ongoing core group of players for many years helped to tamp it down. They knew what I would tolerate and they helped to school any newcomers.

Early on I took action to ruthlessly suppress it. It was pretty draconian of me, in retrospect, but it worked and it never became as much of a problem again. The specific problem was when other players would be giving suggestions for actions of a character...when their characters weren't there.

That to me, is one of my bigger cramp downs on for Meta-gaming, where someone else is hinting/flat out telling someone what to do, when their character is not even present to advise them. Worse is when its coming from people not even playing, such as one game at a FLGS where 2 players had their 2 characters (and 3 henchmen) separated from the rest of the group, and got to a large puzzle board (the DM based of Sodoku) that had to be solved to get out of a trapped room they teleported into.

The other players were very good about not giving hints/help, but 3 kids in the 'bleechers' (so to speak) kept trying to tell the players what they should be writing in, one even going so far as to tell one of the players "HEre just give me the damn paper and i will solve the damn thing for ya"..
The Guy dming, almost got the store owner to kick those people OUT, cause of how they were ruining the event for everyone.

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Many might say, "What's the big deal?" But sometimes you want solitary players to actually be able to decide things on their own...otherwise every single decision becomes a committee decision. Especially when the decision is something that a character would probably do...except the player doesn't see where it might have negative consequences further down the road, or when it should be something like an emotionally driven reaction.

Not just that, but it can also become a crutch, to where the player(s) who's character is on their own, doesn't Bother trying to think for themselves and solve it, cause they have had others piping up for so long they just don't think on their own...

Dredwulf60 wrote:

GM fiat: "Thou shalt not take action suggested by the table-talk." In practice: I would disallow a character to take any action that was suggested by another player from across the table...who didn't have a character present in the scene.

How did you enforce that may i ask??

Dredwulf60 wrote:
We had one player though, who often tried to circumvent metagame knowledge by asking VERY specific questions in order for his character to get the information that he thought he should be party to.

I've known several players like that. Consistently quizzing the DM for every snippet of info they could, even if it was ruining the fun for everyone else as they had to 'take a backseat' while he was running question time..

Dredwulf60 wrote:
I can see that, from a certain point of view. But the way I see it, something like can certainly be decided by the player, but like the actor with nothing but green-screen, sometimes they would do better with at least something to spark their decision on whether they like it or not.

In once sense you could show them a photo from a cook book and let them decide whether it would taste good; but the character could be completely different than the player, like a regular civilian player having a military tactical genius for a character they need dice to help them flesh out their character reactions.

The GM could tell them "Your character would probably like this; it was made by one of the best chefs on the planet." It might even be part of the GM's scene to treat the characters with one of the most sumptuous banquets they have ever experienced. Sure a player could arbitrarily decide (perhaps just to be difficult and disrupt the scene) that their character HATES that food. But it WOULD be fairly arbitrary.

Or you could have a system where a dice roll lets them know just how well prepared the food is and that might influence them as to how well they decide that the characters like it.

A lot of players might like that extra stimulus. I know if their characters were eating a steak, my players would probably be asking me "Is it a thick cut? Is it medium rare the way I asked for it? What kind of sauce did it come with?"

A simple dice roll, where it gives them a grade as to how well they like it can inform the player to come to these conclusions on their own, and then roleplay it. Consider 3 of the 4 players get a roll indicating pretty positive results, but one gets a very low result. He can now decide WHY his character hates it while its a hit with his buddies.

Just an example where roll-play can enhance roleplay. It can spur imagination, just like a random effect chart can spur a GM's imagination. It can be tedious to come up with things from the blank sheet every time, right?

Nice angle to go at things...

Whill wrote:
Cutaway scenes are also metaknowledge

True, they are meant for Player knowledge only but its been a rare instance where i have caught a player trying to USE what they 'saw/heard' in a cut scene, to help the characters.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! "Question time."

I think the metagame issue is really just a question of player maturity combined with the player's motivation for even playing the game.

Kinda like how some players are "looters." In our games, we occasionally had a player who thought (probably based on PC games) that he had to actually kill a bad guy to get character points. So, even if another character dealt a mortal wound or incapacitated result, he would run over and "kill" the unconscious stormie to be sure of collecting the "XP." And then he would loot the body and try to sell everything he found.

I piped up as another player, not being the GM: "Dude, if he's unconscious, he's defeated. You can still get the CPs." And then we moved on and our game flowed much more nicely.

I think that metagamers are after something like that (it may even be the "extra" CPs they think they will earn by solving the mystery or whatever). It may just be that they want the "prestige" of having figured something out "ahead of schedule" thus giving them the "advantage" in the story line... or something Rolling Eyes . In my case, my role- vs. roll-playing vices are two: hack and slash and min-maxing (not to be confused with power gaming Razz ).
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't tend to view it as a spectrum, so much as two primary elements of RPGs which work together on different levels. We've always regarded game mechanics as the basic framework of the game, keeping everything internally consistent. The randomness of it can create interesting surprises and changes of direction in games, for both the players and GM. It maintains a sense that very unlikely things are still possible, that degrees of real risk exist, and of "the future always being in motion." It can create those "wow, alright, nobody expected that.. including the GM" moments which can be really entertaining or even thought provoking. Sometimes that's created circumstances which even took plots in eerily dramatic directions with a life of their own, evoking the "spirit of Kreia." ("..as one trained in the Force, you know that true coincidences are rare.")

On the other hand, role playing actually gives vision to that internally consistent world, allowing the players and GM to express character personalities in a way which includes drama and theme. Some things are resolved with role playing, sometimes with unexpected brilliance in a way which makes sense for the character in question. Finding that your character isn't able to get the door to open is one thing, but considering how likely he is to get frustrated and blast the thing is another. It can also give meaning to mechanics in terms of a character's story. Using character points to gain a Force power which allows one to absorb and dissipate energy is one thing, but the first time the character uses it the player can do a momentary flashback of a lesson from his deceased Master sparking the intuition that the Force can be used in that way, resulting in a heroic moment. (Couple that with a single candle and a simple prayer in the cultural tradition of that master later on, thanking him posthumously, and you have something really special.)
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Dredwulf60 wrote:

How did you enforce that may i ask??

Well...directly.

ie: Sir-not-there: "Hey don't forget to check for traps before you open that chest!"

Knight of the Present: "Yeah...I check for traps before I open it."

DM: "Nope. Because you got told what to do by Sir-not-there...I'm ruling that you forget to check for traps and open the chest."

Knight of the Present: "But i was totally going to check for traps before he said that!"

DM: "Don't blame me. You guys know the rule and he broke it. Blame him. Oh...and make a save vs poison for that venom needle that just pricked your character's hand."
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent discussion!

In short, in situations where a player is roleplaying as well as roll playing, I tend to weight the roll according to the roleplaying.

For example, I had one PC clad in an Imperial Officer's uniform a few weeks ago who wandered into an engineering section and suddenly commanded the engineers to attention. He then proceeded to start drilling them as to what to do in a whole variety of situations including a hyperdrive leak.

The roleplaying was so convincing (and entertaining for all of us) that I eased the difficulty of the roll and he was successful while other Stormtrooper armour clad PCs went about sabotaging the ship's systems.

Equally, if he had really messed up the role-play I would have made the difficulty harder.

What I like about this approach is that while the eventual result will rule the day, good roleplaying should be rewarded (or punished if the opposite is true). I think this is helpful also for avoiding situations such as where certain PCs know they have a good Bargain skill and just want to roll rather than role-play the situation at all. For me, the more PCs acting in character the better!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: