The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Inverting the Severe Injuries rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Inverting the Severe Injuries rules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusharn,

It seems like you are a busy GM! Though I suppose with enough experience, you'd get more and more efficient.

Ever had an important villain die off screen because of a mishap? I know its an extreme example, but its one of the plot armors that I give to my PCs. If a major villain (not necessarily "the" major villain) doesn't kill the PC, then that PC isn't dead unless his death serves the plot.

Also, some "encounters" are hazards, and can kill the PCs, but there (should, IMHO) always be drama asssociated with the death of a PC.
Rusharn
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a few important villains killed off screen, when the actions they were engaged in carried such a risk. Military Officers, Crime Lords, and NPC's in hazardous professions tend to be the ones that die most often, but on occasion political figures, explorers or business men are killed by assassinations or other mishaps. Often the announced death of a major NPC off screen warns players that major powers are moving, and my more ambitious players will move to take advantage of the situation or begin investigations in who succeeded to defeat such a major NPC.

But having a universe moving to such systems makes it feel alive to the players and encourages them to invest in those knowledge skills and on contacts who can keep them in the know.

I work with databases as part of my employment and this style of running the game world is probably an extension of that. Making something that is normally monotonous into something more interesting. Also I enjoy the surprises that a living system generates and translating that in to stories, rumors and new reports for my players to encounter. I having been running games for twenty years so I have come pretty efficient when it comes to managing my campaigns and the world in which they are run.

I also study economics, history, politics, and science for hobbies, and with the advent of audio books I have been able to expand my experience and knowledge of literature. All which helps me make my games even more detailed and fleshed out.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed!

My hobbies tend too find their way into the gaming sesion, as well. Usually in the forrm of character art for the players or important NPCs.

When/if the party gets spit up, I'd usially draw while awaiting "my turn."
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed!

My hobbies tend too find their way into the gaming sesion, as well. Usually in the forrm of character art for the players or important NPCs.

When/if the party gets spit up, I'd usially draw while awaiting "my turn."
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add that maiming, instead of killing, a player character allows for the other player characters to be heroes in trying to remove their injured comrade from the field. An entire adventure or two can be made out of getting this severly injured comrade medical assistance as he cannot go to a hospital - since he's a wanted rebel and police will surely ask about blaster wounds. Maybe the planet they're on doesn't have bacta tanks? And cybernetics are cool.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, just cause they NEED to get help/replacement limbs, does not mean they automatically WILL.. They first off need to find someone to do it, THEN convince them to do it.. And even then there's still the matter of the dice rolls to succeed at it..
dic1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if a character fails to disarm a explosive device?
e.g. there is a breaching charge on the ships hull
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it goes boom in their face!
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dic1 wrote:
What if a character fails to disarm a explosive device?
e.g. there is a breaching charge on the ships hull

...how long is their spacesuit rated for and how fast can they get out of the area of effect?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: