The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Armor Proficiency?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Armor Proficiency? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that; and if we leave it at 3D for 3 different skills, it's not like that's an onerous burden.

Armor Training (A):
Prerequisite: Lifting 3D, Running 3D, Dodge 3D
Armor training represents a character's ability to overcome the weight and awkwardness of different types of armor. Each die in Armor Training reduces the Dexterity penalty for wearing armor by one pip; 3D in Training will remove a full die of penalty.
Armor training also serves to enhance the basic uses of Powersuit Operation.
Specializations: Specific kinds of armor; stormtrooper armor, snowtrooper armor, Corellian Powersuits, etc.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I was thinking more from a perspective of the experience of running and dodging in the armor would also allow the wearer to familiarize himself with how the armor impedes fine movement by getting in the way. It's not just about having the strength to carry the armor; it's also about how the bulk of the armor limits mobility.

I don't think he cares buddy. He has an idea from D&D and hell or high water he will develop a mechanic to overcome the rule. It's fine with me, he can do whatever he wants in his game and it might even make sense and fit depending on what he is trying to do. As a standard mechanic, adopted for general play, I wouldn't allow it. I do allow the spending of Character Points and credits to customize equipment and armor, very similar to what gharkal suggested from the rules that his group uses.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I was thinking more from a perspective of the experience of running and dodging in the armor would also allow the wearer to familiarize himself with how the armor impedes fine movement by getting in the way. It's not just about having the strength to carry the armor; it's also about how the bulk of the armor limits mobility.

Then shouldn't stamina also be a pre-req..??
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I don't think he cares buddy. He has an idea from D&D and hell or high water he will develop a mechanic to overcome the rule.

Near an hour after I say "Hey, good point", you're going to talk about me as if I'm not here and completely unreasonable? Well, f*** you, too.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:
I don't think he cares buddy. He has an idea from D&D and hell or high water he will develop a mechanic to overcome the rule.

Near an hour after I say "Hey, good point", you're going to talk about me as if I'm not here and completely unreasonable? Well, f*** you, too.

Hey there partner, relax. You pick out only the part of what I posted you did not like. Ignoring what came after the initial sentence. I mean, you want to get all but hurt over something, sure you can do that, but don't expect anyone to care if you don't give proper credence to everything that was said. The idea of paragraph structure is that the sentences strung together relate to one another. I think you best climb off your high horse, put on your big boy pants and stop acting like a child if you want anyone to take you seriously.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:

Hey there partner, relax. You pick out only the part of what I posted you did not like. Ignoring what came after the initial sentence. I mean, you want to get all but hurt over something, sure you can do that, but don't expect anyone to care if you don't give proper credence to everything that was said. The idea of paragraph structure is that the sentences strung together relate to one another. I think you best climb off your high horse, put on your big boy pants and stop acting like a child if you want anyone to take you seriously.

I did read what you said... and you opened with "The person I am talking about as if they are not here is unreasonable and will not be swayed from this course of action." There was a subtext of "I know he is unreasonable from two weeks and one hundred posts of association."

The rest of your paragraph added nothing to the conversation. "It might work, but I wouldn't use it; I'd use this thing over here" doesn't negate "You are unreasonable and will not accept suggestions, to the point where it is not worth my acknowledging you directly.

Forgive me for not seeing the brilliance in your "I'd do it like he does it", when you completely ignore a post made an hour before, that specifically responds to the suggestion made, to insist that I won't listen to suggestions. Hell, aside from dealing with you, my posts in this thread have been a) Initial idea b) response to suggestion c) defense of rationale d) agreement with counter to defense.

You want to act like you're the aggrieved party and I'm being unreasonable, but you're the one who opened with an insult, then defended it with "Well, you didn't respond to the rest of my condescending post, so you're obviously didn't read it."
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow dude you want a flame war or someone to argue with its not going to be with me. Ascribe whatever motives you think you have to, paint me the bad guy, I seriously could care less. Your inability to see anyone elses view but your own very narrow one, shows me, that at this time, you are not someone I wish to associate with.
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Thu May 05, 2016 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever. Your inability to see your part in this indicates that you're not worthy of more time.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I don't think he cares buddy. He has an idea from D&D and hell or high water he will develop a mechanic to overcome the rule. It's fine with me, he can do whatever he wants in his game and it might even make sense and fit depending on what he is trying to do. As a standard mechanic, adopted for general play, I wouldn't allow it. I do allow the spending of Character Points and credits to customize equipment and armor, very similar to what gharkal suggested from the rules that his group uses.

It's not just a D&D idea, though. WEG has suggested eliminating the Dex penalty for stormtroopers armor because of how much time they spend in it. They even applied it to some stories in an encounter in The Far Orbit Project. What they did't do was provide a mechanic for how it could be earned, either by PCs or NPCs. Honestly, I could go with either an Advanced Skill or a straight CP cost, or even making it part of an Advantage / Disadvantage system. I am, however, partial to higher CP cost methods because I don't something like this should be attained easily.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

How Stamina? I've tossed it around and don't see how it would be applicable in ways Lifting (which already considers how long an object will be carried) would not.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I'm being the voice of reason here, but...

Don, in all fairness, you did kinda jump the gun on him...

MrNexx, I am more than aware of how tempers can get blown here (I once got banned for a week for blowing my top too often), but it is generally the best long term approach to take a deep breath and not get angry when replying...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How 'bout we keep this civil, huh? Tempers flare, but lets not drag this out.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

How Stamina? I've tossed it around and don't see how it would be applicable in ways Lifting (which already considers how long an object will be carried) would not.

It relates to your "Carrying it over time" angle from your last post on page 1..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand the lifting, and I also thought that dodge should be a prereq....

But after thinking about it some more, I'm not sure it should even be a "physical" skill.

The closest skill I can think of to alow a character to "overcome" (read: work with, instead of against) the armor is tactics.

In the military, everything we learn about shooting, dodging grenades/indirect fire, etc, is based on the fact that we are wearing armor, and the parts of our body that the armor protects.

For that matter, modern armor is available with what is known as a "shooter's cut." The plates are shaped to allow easier movement of the arms for optimum shooting technique. IMHO, the shooter's cut has no trade off. Same protection.

Anyway, physical prowess certainly comes into play, but I'm not sure if it matters enough to make it a prerequisite.

Maybe "armor use" needs to be an alternate reaction skil to dodge: if you roll armor use, you automatically get hit (unless the attack just misses) but you get a bonus to your soak roll (the higher your armor use roll, the higjer the bonus).

If you use dodge, you take the penalty but you get just the standard armor bonus.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So an armor has 2 protective values? One for only dodging, and one with armor use?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: