The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber vs parry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Lightsaber vs parry Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably. And I'd give you a DSP.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Probably. And I'd give you a DSP.

What, just for mutilation? ;)

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the situation, yes. The guy was just trying to punch you and you cut off his hand. Unless that punch represented a serious threat to your life or other's, it's inexcusable, clearly an abuse of power.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber vs parry Reply with quote

Lord Ben wrote:
Can you parry a lightsaber?

Yes. A Lightsaber can be parried with any weapon, even a bar stool. Use the melee parry skill (or the melee parry: (s) bar stool skill if you have it).

Lord Ben wrote:
My player seems to think that just because it says parry that if you tried to parry it you'd slice your arm off.

Partially correct. The first edition rule book gave an example: When the lightsaber wielder rolls to hit there are three possible outcomes; 1) he misses 2) he hits & the defender fails to parry 3) he hits & the defender sucessfully parries - in this case the defender's weapon is cut in half unless it can resist a lightsaber. The only weapons I know that can do this are another lightsaber, a force pike (because of it's force field) - this is what Grevious' guards were using, and a Sith sword - which involves some long lost Sith alchemy found only in the Tales of the Jedi comic books.

Lord Ben wrote:
I said parry is just the WEG terms for a melee dodge and that it means avoiding the attack by whatever means available - NOT sticking your arm or vibroaxe in the way of the blade.

I agree. A brawling parry can be blocking with your arm or doing the boxer's 'duck and weave'. In this case the defender would receive a -10 penalty which is standard when using an unarmed parry agains a melee(/lightsaber) attack. As was mentioned earlier, dodging is used for ranged attacks, parry is used to defend against hand to hand or melee attacks.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber vs parry Reply with quote

Lord Ben wrote:
Can you parry a lightsaber?

Yes. A Lightsaber can be parried with any weapon, even a bar stool. Use the melee parry skill (or the melee parry: (s) bar stool skill if you have it).

Lord Ben wrote:
My player seems to think that just because it says parry that if you tried to parry it you'd slice your arm off.

Partially correct. The first edition rule book gave an example: When the lightsaber wielder rolls to hit there are three possible outcomes; 1) he misses 2) he hits & the defender fails to parry 3) he hits & the defender sucessfully parries - in this case the defender's weapon is cut in half unless it can resist a lightsaber and the defender is hit anyway. The only weapons I know that can do this are another lightsaber, a force pike (because of it's force field) - this is what Grevious' guards were using and probably why royal guardsmen carry them, and a Sith sword - which involves some long lost Sith alchemy found only in the Tales of the Jedi comic books.

Lord Ben wrote:
I said parry is just the WEG terms for a melee dodge and that it means avoiding the attack by whatever means available - NOT sticking your arm or vibroaxe in the way of the blade.

I agree. A brawling parry can be blocking with your arm or doing the boxer's 'duck and weave'. In this case the defender would receive a -10 penalty which is standard when using an unarmed parry against a melee(/lightsaber) attack. As was mentioned earlier, dodging is used for ranged attacks, parry is used to defend against hand to hand or melee attacks. Of course, if the Jedi is parrying, then the attacker's weapon/arm is still cut - apply damage to the attacker as needed.

Last edited by Volar the Healer on Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:24 am; edited 3 times in total
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please ignore the first post. I rolled a 1 on the wild die for my computer operations skill.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please ignore the first post. I rolled a 1 on the wild die for my computer operations skill.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

As to the parry/dodge... I always have thought a parry was just forcing the opponent to not hit you, whether from putting your weapon (or arms) in the way, smacking his arm so he misses, ducking, or spinning away etc..
As to the parry weapon/arm getting sundered, that is a possibility, but i would probabily have that happen if the parry was unsuccessful...
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just thought of this when i was reading this one.
PCA=defender
PCB=attacker

PCB= would roll his lightsaber combat + sense to hit
PCA= would roll his chosen skill, wether that be to dodge (completely move out of the way) or parry it with whatever handy

PCB= has 3D sense and 5D LS combat, rolls a 24 (average)
PCA= has a 6d dodge and rolls a 18 (average)

PCB= Hits PCA with his 5D lightsaber, and adds his 3D control to the damage, and rolls an 18 (average)
PCA=rolls his 5D str with a FP totals a 30

now, with that said, what exactly happens?
according to my interpretation of the rules in this situation, the defender, takes no damage.

or are my interpretations completely wrong and he gets an arm cut off?
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The defender cannot roll dodge against a melee attack. He must roll parry.

Attacker's Lightsaber is <20 = Attacker misses

Attacker's Lightsaber >20 and > Defender's Parry = Attacker scores a hit. The parry is ineffective.

Attacker's Lightsaber is >20 and < Defender's Parry = Defender's weapon is destroyed because the parry was successful. If he parried with his arm he takes the light saber's damage (and probably loses the arm). If he declares a dodge then the defender still rolls the parry skill but takes no damage because he has avoided the attack.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A linked question to this...

Ok. We know when someone combines fire, all the bolts are considered as one, so a jedi should still be able to 'parry' them with his LS (if he as LS combat up).

BUT, what would you do, if he wishes to redirect them?
Would it be one roll?
Would it be separate rolls for each trooper who combined?

If one straight roll, to whom would all the bolts go to?
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they get a combined roll, then shouldn't the same go for said jedi?

and the redirect would go to the one of his choosing, after all he could help it with TK if necessary.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
A linked question to this...

Ok. We know when someone combines fire, all the bolts are considered as one, so a jedi should still be able to 'parry' them with his LS (if he as LS combat up).

When seperate vehicles or troopers combine fire all the bolts are not considered as one. The bonus to hit reflects that the additional troopers are helpin to supress the target with fire, limitting the range of movement, creating distractionary fire, and thus increasing the odds of a hit. Given this though, the Jedi would still make a Single Parry roll, as only 1 to hit roll is made. The combined action bonus makes it more difficult as the attacker rolls extra dice, meaning the Jedi may have trouble parrying. I would say, however, the Jedi could only reflect 1 beam back at 1 firer.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, because combined fire only results in one hit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: