The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Killing a Jedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Killing a Jedi Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
There's always the Lensman solution...

A. Sunbeam
B. Negasphere's
C. Free planets
D. Peter VanBuskirk and his Valerian Marines
E. All of the above
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:

garhkal, "Jedi surrender now and i will spare your comrade's life"

Jedi gestures with hand, "You don't want to threaten my comrade."

garhkal, "I don't want to threaten your comrade"

Jedi gestures with hand, "We can go about our business."

garhkal, "You can go about our business."

Jedi gestures with hand, "You're going to go kick that Wookie in the nads."

garhkal, "Yeah... I'll go kick that Wookie in the nads."

Kicks Wookie. Wookie, "RAAWWWRRR!!!"

News Anchor, "In local news a man was torn limb from limb after he kicked a Wookie in the nads. After talking to witnesses Police have closed their investigation saying it was suicide."

When killing Jedi there is no such thing as overkill. There is only open fire and reload. Preferably from orbit.

Thanks for the laugh. But you do know Affect mind is a 3 skill power, thus 3 actions, AND has a high difficulty (modified worse if its human vs alien)..
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:

garhkal, "Jedi surrender now and i will spare your comrade's life"

Jedi gestures with hand, "You don't want to threaten my comrade."

garhkal, "I don't want to threaten your comrade"

Jedi gestures with hand, "We can go about our business."

garhkal, "You can go about our business."

Jedi gestures with hand, "You're going to go kick that Wookie in the nads."

garhkal, "Yeah... I'll go kick that Wookie in the nads."

Kicks Wookie. Wookie, "RAAWWWRRR!!!"

News Anchor, "In local news a man was torn limb from limb after he kicked a Wookie in the nads. After talking to witnesses Police have closed their investigation saying it was suicide."

When killing Jedi there is no such thing as overkill. There is only open fire and reload. Preferably from orbit.

Thanks for the laugh. But you do know Affect mind is a 3 skill power, thus 3 actions, AND has a high difficulty (modified worse if its human vs alien)..

Glad you liked it.

Yeah, I'm aware of the game mechanics involved, but I was painting a cinematic picture on how that type of scenario would play out.

My old GM was really big on players getting into character. We didn't have a lot of actual role players. Te players were mostly focused on "the numbers" and how many bonus modifiers they could add to their die rolls.

So when he saw any of us actually getting into character, he'd encourage us by giving us bonuses, our die rolls were more to check that we didn't fumble what we were trying to do. He never let us get away with difficult tasks. We still failed, but not as often or as badly as we should have.

The guys that couldn't get into character had to deal with the actions/die rolls and difficulties you described but no bonuses for RPing.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Zarn wrote:
Cee-fractional strikes are bad form, old sport. Not cricket, you know.

Also, most Jedi are their own worst enemy. Take a few thousand hostages, and tell the Jedi that unless he becomes one with the Force, you'll kill the hostages through the creative application of a hydraulic press.

The trick? Be honest. Let the hostages go go afterwards. Evil Has Standards, after all.

I agree. You don't even need hostages to make that work, just get in battle with one of the jedi's fallen comrades and put a knife to his neck.. "Jedi surrender now and i will spare your comrade's life"..
IMO if the jedi fails to do so, and the guy's killed, its almost as bad as if the jedi killed him himself..

I don't see this working against a high leve Jedi Master (as the original question is presented).

An argument could also be made from the "do your duty" scene in Ep.2.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
There's always the Lensman solution...

A. Sunbeam
B. Negasphere's
C. Free planets
D. Peter VanBuskirk and his Valerian Marines
E. All of the above

Free planets is what I was referring to. It's about the only thing more over the top than Starkiller Base.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we've progressed from the impractical to the completely absurd, I recommend stealing the Jedi Master's character sheet from the GM and setting it on fire.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Since we've progressed from the impractical to the completely absurd, I recommend stealing the Jedi Master's character sheet from the GM and setting it on fire.

Laughing
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

That will only work if the timeframe of the scenario is pre-Qui-Gon Jinn. Wink
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. High Caliber Slug Thrower (with suppressor if possible)
(Optional) Cortosis or Phrik Bullet
2. Distraction droids/bombs (my favorite are MSE's loaded with explosives rolling under parked speeders and detonating)
3. a decent scope and perch with good cammo
4. a good escape route
5. One shot one kill levels of skill.

the jedi's danger sense will read the bombs and he or she is likely to misinterpret the rifle shot's danger ping as more damage. the bombs also provide extra concealment for the gunshot. even if the jedi detects it and tries to block....they'll either not manage it fast enough for do so and get molten metal flying at them at supersonic or near supersonic speeds (or a shorted out saber and a bullet to the brainpan).

also most effective in an urban setting obviously -or a jungle but in the jungle you can rig trees to explode to provide the distraction.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, if they DON'T have danger sense up (and most jedi's don't keep it up 24/7, they should have to do an opposed search vs your sneak, and if you get the drop on them, pop a high powered sniper shell into their head! Take them down before they can get up all those funky powers... BUT once they are down, keep shooting into them for at LEAST 5 rounds..
That way they don't have a chance to kick in Reduce Injury, and return from the kill shot with a wound..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem there is that, if the films are taken into account (which is probably a good idea), Danger Sense must either have some sort of automatic activation, or at least some Jedi must always activate it and keep it on (see AOTC, the apartment assassination attempt). It also needs to include Modified by Relationship and/or Proximity.

Either way, Danger Sense is either out of date or broken.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danger sense as written is a stupid idea, anyway. Its a passive ability where I come from. AotC and RotS confirm this.

Many Jedi did get blind sided by Order 66, so there would need to be some way to reconcile that, though CRM's suggestion to modify by relationship and proximity might ne appropriate.... though I'd be tempted to cut the relationship modifier in half or some such if I were to use that mechanic.

The way I actually do it is to allow perception skills to oppose sense rolls when there is a skill that governs what the opposed roll represents. So a con roll could be ussed to trick a Jedi that you know is trying to sense your thoughts, or a sneak roll could be used to avoid being sensed by a Jedi that you know can sense things, etc.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem there is that Perception skills can't hide your thoughts, or conceal you from the flow of time. Jedi as written have at least limited precognitive and telepathic abilities, so a character's ability to bluff another character's normal senses isn't going to carry over into obscuring his thoughts or intentions.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had it explained to me why order 66 was a surprise once: there was no Malice behind it, the jedi couldnt sense it because the clones were acting on orders....doing their duty with out any sense of malice at all. (but probably especially for Secura and Koon a hefty amount of Remorse after the fact from the troopers)
But i've always maintained that the best way to kill a jedi was this way or saturation bombardment......and the bombardment is a lot more expensive and causes far too much collateral, if i were to play a character in my own D6 game it would have been a sniper.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedKnight wrote:
i had it explained to me why order 66 was a surprise once: there was no Malice behind it, the jedi couldnt sense it because the clones were acting on orders....doing their duty with out any sense of malice at all. (but probably especially for Secura and Koon a hefty amount of Remorse after the fact from the troopers)

That's actually the reason given in the novel adaptation of ROTS. Personally, I think it's only part of the story. Danger Sense involves at least a minimal amount of precognition, in that the Jedi can sense a momentous event (his own death) in the Force. The lack of malice plays into the lack of intent; the Clones had orders to kill their Jedi commanders upon receipt of Order 66, but that order had never been used, and there were at least 65 other standing orders for them to remember and obey. As such, Order 66 was not something they dwelt on, or spent a lot of time planning, and thus, the only eminent threats Jedi had to detect n their immediate future were from the enemy, not their own troops. Of course, the moment that they suddenly detected that threat must've been quite a shock. Maybe enough to catch them flat-footed.

The other pertinent factor is how the Dark Side was clouding the Jedi's prescience more and more as the Clone Wars progressed. The fact that the source of that clouding was also the source of the command to execute Order 66 must also play a factor.

IMO, a couple things that do play a factor in "normal" Danger Sense are the degree of threat (in that non-lethal threats, like ray shield traps, are more difficult to detect) and the number of simultaneous threats (a barrage of blaster fire, a grenade, a flamethrower and a sniper presents a much more complicated threat than just a blaster, and is thus more difficult to sort out threat from threat).

Quote:
But i've always maintained that the best way to kill a jedi was this way or saturation bombardment......and the bombardment is a lot more expensive and causes far too much collateral, if i were to play a character in my own D6 game it would have been a sniper.

The original question of this thread was how a small-to-medium group of PCs could take out a Jedi. Orbital bombardment isn't a practical option for PCs, not to mention the in-story complications after the fact if a group of PCs inflict catastrophic damage to a planet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: