The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Force and Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> The Force and Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
all2ezy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: The Force and Droids Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a question concerning the use of certain force powers against droids, I wish to know what force powers do not work when used against droids.
I know that Affect Mind does not work against droids, however our group is debating if powers such as the following would work.

Danger sense
Telekinetic kill
Injure / kill
What do you all think??
Thanks for your help!!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danger sense yes.
Injure kill and TK kill, imo from all i read, no.
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danger Sense would seem to apply perfectly well where droids are concerned.

Injure/Kill and Telekinetic Kill appear to focus on the disruption of biological processes, based on their prerequisites.

However, if the player of a Force Sensitive character really wanted to develop the ability to "kill" droids in a more subtle way than hurling them about with Telekinesis, I'd let them develop a Telekinetic Mechanical Disruption equivalent. (Instead of using it to collapse the trachea, stir the brain, or squeeze the heart they'd be dislodging internal components or yanking wires loose.) "I find your lack of faith disturbing, R2-D2.."
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechu macture / Ionize.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ionize
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Force and Droids Reply with quote

all2ezy wrote:
Danger sense

This depends greatly on how you view Danger Sense. While the description of Danger Sense is rather vague (saying it allows the Jedi to extend his senses around him like protective sensors, but doesn't provide any specifics beyond that), the effect provided by the actual game rules is that of sensing attacks before they happen. There are two possible methods by which this can occur: telepathy or precognition. Under telepathy, the Jedi is sensing the harmful intent in the attacker's mind. Under precognition, the Jedi is catching a glimpse of the future, literally seeing a few seconds forward in time. It is also possible that it is a mixture of these two.

As such, I offer the following three choices:
    -If Danger Sense is purely Telepathy based, it will be ineffective against droids or any form of automated attack.

-If it is Precognitive based, then it will work equally well against any attack, save attackers like other Force Sensitives who can obscure themselves.

-If it is a mixture, droids and automated attacks will be harder to detect than attacks by organic beings.
Your call.

Quote:
Telekinetic kill

TK Kill, when boiled down to its basics, allows the Jedi to perceive and manipulate the inner workings of its target's body. I see no reason why this would be limited only to organic beings, as droids also have internal components which can be perceived through the Force, and manipulated telekinetically.

Quote:
Injure / kill

This, again, is based on how you perceive this power. If, like TK Kill, it is simply using telekinesis to alter the inner workings of the target's body, then a droid will be no different than a person. If, however, the power is somehow directly affecting the target's Force aura (like, for example, the mythical version of the Dim Mak attack, which damages the target's Chi), then it would be limited only to organic beings, and would have no effect on droids.

Again, your call.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Force and Droids Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
As such, I offer the following three choices:
    -If Danger Sense is purely Telepathy based, it will be ineffective against droids or any form of automated attack.

-If it is Precognitive based, then it will work equally well against any attack, save attackers like other Force Sensitives who can obscure themselves.

-If it is a mixture, droids and automated attacks will be harder to detect than attacks by organic beings.
Your call.

It was noted in I, Jedi, when Coran went after the Hutt, that automated defenses would evade his ability to sense incoming danger in time... this suggests (if "unofficially") that danger sense is telepathy-based and/or not every Jedi has precognitive ability.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would lean towards Injure/Kill being only effective against living creatures, as it requires Life Detection and Life Sense as prereqs. Using that rationale, I would say standard Danger Sense would also be limited to the living, as would Telekinetic kill.

On the other hand, I would be open to these skills being "extended" to cover droids and the like... spend a Force point to allow it in medias res, and learn a new power to perfect it. I'd also be open to different skills that allow something similar, perhaps at a higher difficulty... a "Protective Precognition" that will activate automatically, giving you a head's up with a Difficult check, but inflicting a MAP unless you consciously shut it down.

So, let's say you go into a dangerous situation. The GM rolls Sense, and your Protective Precognition is "Up" until you take it down. If it was good, you'll get a warning round. Until then, though, you've got a MAP. If your roll was poor (i.e. didn't meat the difficulty), then you're going to have suffered that penalty for nothing. Want to concentrate on something? Take it down, and put it up after you're done.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Force and Droids Reply with quote

JironGhrad wrote:
It was noted in I, Jedi, when Coran went after the Hutt, that automated defenses would evade his ability to sense incoming danger in time... this suggests (if "unofficially") that danger sense is telepathy-based and/or not every Jedi has precognitive ability.

That reminds me; there is a fourth possibility, that Danger Sense is entirely precognitive, but that the difficulty of sensing the danger is based on the danger source's connection to the Living Force. As such, droids, remote detonated explosives, automated weaponry, etc, would still be detectable, but at higher difficulty.

The same would be true of non-lethal attacks, intended to either stun or trap, such as the trap used on Luke Skywalker in SOTP, or the ray shields used against Anakin and Obi-Wan in ROTS.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I would lean towards Injure/Kill being only effective against living creatures, as it requires Life Detection and Life Sense as prereqs.

It's worth noting that WEG's Force Power prerequisites aren't an infallible source, though. For instance, Danger Sense requires Life Detection as a prerequisite. Since Life Detection only detects living beings, and it is Danger Sense's only prerequisite, it would be logical to apply Danger Sense only to living threats, yet Danger Sense is specifically stated to apply to all attacks, regardless of the source.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something to crunch on C.. Perhaps it could be based on a variant of the 'relationship chart.' Non living things (ie weather danger from a tornado getting ready to drop on you), might add a +10 to the diff, while a remote detonated trap is only +5..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That is something to crunch on C.. Perhaps it could be based on a variant of the 'relationship chart.' Non living things (ie weather danger from a tornado getting ready to drop on you), might add a +10 to the diff, while a remote detonated trap is only +5..

That's roughly what I was considering. I'm not entirely sure about making natural events even more difficult to detect, but I would definitely go with droids and remote traps being +5 difficulty.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: