The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starship Combat and Torpedo Target Speed Penalty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Starship Combat and Torpedo Target Speed Penalty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Starship Combat and Torpedo Target Speed Penalty Reply with quote

Hello,

We ran into an instance last session where the players pilot was going All Out in a slower vessel (total 16 space). A much quicker fighter got into short range and fired a Torpedo at them.

According to the chart on Page 127 Core Rules RE the max penalty is +20 to difficulty based on target speed. Because range was close I made the difficulty 26 and due to their ship going All Out, the pilot could not dodge.

Is my understanding of the rules correct? Should the difficulty increase scale with the speed of the target?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are in a tail-chase scenario, target speed shouldn't be as much of a factor. In this scenario, I'd base the increased difficulty on the difference in relative speed (i.e. how fast the target is going compared to the shooter).

Assuming a stock light freighter with a Space of 4 (16 at All-Out) is being chased by an X-Wing with a Space of 8 (16 at Full), the relative speed would be nil, so there would be no increase in Difficulty.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, that you did right in no dodge cause of going all out (as that is BTB) but i agree with C in that the Relative speed's should be checked...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: