The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Gaming tables, square/rectangular or round??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Gaming tables, square/rectangular or round??
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Gaming tables, square/rectangular or round?? Reply with quote

I am asking this question on every gaming board i visit..

When you do face to face table top gaming, do you prefer a large round table? Oval? Rectangular/square? Do you prefer sitting at the head, if its a rectangular or in the middle?
Do you prefer to not even use tables, unless you are going to be using lots of minis??

Do you prefer wood topped? Felt topped? Ones with 'lips' or higher edges (so dice are harder to roll off), or flat surface?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gaming table is a coffee table with an expanding top. It's a rectangle that expands to a 50% larger rectangle. (It can double the width, but not the length.) Whether we expand it or not depends on the number of players and whether or not we need a map for the gaming session.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most houses I game at, the tables are kitchen and rectangular. One friend has as a coffee table. I try to use the end but sometimes im moved to a different spot. in my house I also use TV trys to hold books up. Again at the coffee table house, I usually set up my stuff on the side couch. We really have no preference and work with what we got. Heck, I've used no map but dominoes and glass stones for maps.
shootingwomprats
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer rectangular. Its easier to see all the people and keep the attention on the GM at the head. I have played on a round table and did not like it at all. Seemed like the GM didn't have enough room, was harder to pass things around to people and was this vast wasted space in the middle of the table that added to the feel that people were further away.

As for material on the table? I cannot speak to felt, but I would think, unless it was over a hard surface and stretched tight it would take too much bounce out dice rolls. On my table I have these heavy duty "bumper" things we use that supposed to protect the table. They are about 1/2 to 1" thick. Dice roll easily on this surface and even with either a cloth or plastic tablecloth the dice bounce.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also prefer a rectangular table. Round tables are either too small or have too much difficult to access real estate.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, given what people have said, I think I prefer a rectangular table. Round ones seem less practical.
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually play on a rectangular table. Either a friend's Geek Chic table or a plastic fold-out. When we play at my house, we have a round table, it often gets expanded with table leaves to be roughly rectangular. I'd like to play at a round table.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years there were so many of us at someone's house that we had to use the living room floor. I would have 6-8 players at every session. So since nobody had that size dining room table, we just parked it on couches and the floor and rolled on the backsides of books.

If you can find a table that suits your needs, I recommend placing players in order of their PER attribute, essentially so you can go around one way with initiative instead of skipping all over.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
For years there were so many of us at someone's house that we had to use the living room floor. I would have 6-8 players at every session. So since nobody had that size dining room table, we just parked it on couches and the floor and rolled on the backsides of books.

If you can find a table that suits your needs, I recommend placing players in order of their PER attribute, essentially so you can go around one way with initiative instead of skipping all over.

I've done that before. Placing people from left to right from LOW to high Per.. So ic an go left to right in order of action Declarations, THEN right to left in order of action taking...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: