The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Book Orgaization
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Book Orgaization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Book Orgaization Reply with quote

I have over the years (now 30 years) I have a habit of rearranging my books on the shelf. I have arranged them by core rule books, source books, galaxy guides in numerical order, an then the rest. I have done smiply 1st ed and 2nd ed. Right now they are ordered in the product number ( ie 40001 for 1st ed rule book on up in order). But this doesn't fit be cause puts Far Orbit Project (40026), Han Solo and the Coorperate Sector (40042) before Cracken's Rebel Field Guide (40046). Adventure Journals are easy 1-15, always been that way.

Is there any one else out there that constently rearranged their books. And does any one have a helpful suggestion on order.

How do you order your books?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Book Orgaization Reply with quote

griff wrote:
I have over the years (now 30 years) I have a habit of rearranging my books on the shelf. I have arranged them by core rule books, source books, galaxy guides in numerical order, an then the rest. I have done smiply 1st ed and 2nd ed. Right now they are ordered in the product number ( ie 40001 for 1st ed rule book on up in order). But this doesn't fit be cause puts Far Orbit Project (40026), Han Solo and the Coorperate Sector (40042) before Cracken's Rebel Field Guide (40046). Adventure Journals are easy 1-15, always been that way.

Is there any one else out there that constently rearranged their books. And does any one have a helpful suggestion on order.

How do you order your books?

Not constantly but I do tend to reorganize all my books every so often. Not just Star Wars or RPG books, but all my books. I have about six 6' bookshelves full of books (and that is not including my wife's and son's books). Most of my books I have to reorganize due to getting new books. WEG Star Wars gets reorganized more often because I have so many off the shelf at a time that I don't exactly remember the order when I put them back.

I don't order them by product number because that disassociates books that I think should go together. Product number is almost random because the books weren't even released in order of product number, so what you have is the order that books went into a certain stage of development. I supposed product number might make things easier to find things if you have a printed list of books in that order nearby, but I still wouldn't do that.

I tend to have core rules in order of release, then books with a lot of player focus/inspiration, then the big sourcebooks, and then the rest in groups that seem appropriate at the time I am ordering them. The Adventure Journals are last because they are a different size.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps consider arranging them according to what is moat relevant for the current campaign?

Since you tend to do this "for fun" (it seems from your post), this might make practical as well as satisfying.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are arranged by type (sourcebook, adventure journal, galaxy guide, box set, etc.) and then by release date within each section. It keeps most of the like-sized books together and in some sort of order.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Mine are arranged by type (sourcebook, adventure journal, galaxy guide, box set, etc.) and then by release date within each section. It keeps most of the like-sized books together and in some sort of order.

I have thought of putting them in order of release date. I thought it would be interesting to see the evolution of the system and production quality. Not to mention the influence of the novels that came out starting with the Thrawn trilogy in the early ninties.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
I have thought of putting them in order of release date. I thought it would be interesting to see the evolution of the system and production quality. Not to mention the influence of the novels that came out starting with the Thrawn trilogy in the early ninties.

If you do that, please share your order. When I researched release dates for my collection list (linked below), I found that not all products even had a month of release available, and for the ones that did different sources conflicted. So I ended up guessing and in some cases intentionally changing the order for the flow of my list. In the end, I can really only claim the release years are correct and all products are grouped together by release year (except for the AJs which I put at the end). But my research was almost 10 years ago and maybe there newer, more complete and correct sources available now.

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=77165#77165
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. Since I always start with the 1st ed rule book and source book, and now the the anniversary edition the same books will be the beginning and the end of my collection. That feels right and complete to me.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used the WEG number published on the book. Maybe that's not the exact chronological order, but it's close enough for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: