The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sleep Inducer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Sleep Inducer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Sleep Inducer Reply with quote

Apparently in Galladinium’s Fantastic Technology is a weapon called a Sleep Inducer. The text says:

Game Notes: Damage is rolled against the target’s stamina; if the target is stunned or worse, the recipient must make a Moderate stamina roll not to pass out due to the sleep inducing frequencies. Aleep lasts 1D hours. Frequency chips will only work against one specific species; changing a chip requires an Easy blaster repair roll and 3 minutes.

It sounds like the target makes a stamina roll twice. The first (in place of strength) to withstand the weapon as the standard resistance roll. Then again to see if the character passes out or not. Seems strange to have two rolls, but being instantly put to sleep is pretty nasty, too.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also curious about people's conception of what the 'frequency chip' does. Would a character have to set it to "human" to affect them, and then switch it to "barabel" to affect that species?

What about near-human species (like Miraluka)? In Legends, Mace Windu was a near-human Korun, so would he have been able to shrug off the sleep inducer if it was set to human?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why use a sleep inducer when almost every single blaster has a stun setting?

Quote:
Also curious about people's conception of what the 'frequency chip' does.

The frequency chips are something that has to be changed out by essentially taking the weapon apart and putting it back together with the new chip installed. I assume that it configures the weapon's sound waves to target a particular alien species, one at a time.

Quote:
Would a character have to set it to "human" to affect them, and then switch it to "barabel" to affect that species?

Yes.

Quote:
What about near-human species (like Miraluka)? In Legends, Mace Windu was a near-human Korun, so would he have been able to shrug off the sleep inducer if it was set to human?

My call would be that the human chip affects all near-human species as well.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sleep Inducer Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Apparently in Galladinium’s Fantastic Technology is a weapon called a Sleep Inducer. The text says:

Game Notes: Damage is rolled against the target’s stamina; if the target is stunned or worse, the recipient must make a Moderate stamina roll not to pass out due to the sleep inducing frequencies. Aleep lasts 1D hours. Frequency chips will only work against one specific species; changing a chip requires an Easy blaster repair roll and 3 minutes.

It sounds like the target makes a stamina roll twice. The first (in place of strength) to withstand the weapon as the standard resistance roll. Then again to see if the character passes out or not. Seems strange to have two rolls, but being instantly put to sleep is pretty nasty, too.

Also curious about people's conception of what the 'frequency chip' does. Would a character have to set it to "human" to affect them, and then switch it to "barabel" to affect that species?

That's is why, not one player in any games i have been in (or ran) has ever bothered TAKING one... Why use it, when a stun setting heavy pistol is a lot better.

On the frequency chip thing, YES that's exactly what it means. You need to put in separate chips for separate races.. Though i could see a blanket "Human chip, has -1d penalty vs near humans, while one specifically for near humans has a -1d penalty vs humans".
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one advantage I can see over a normal Stun effect is the duration. 1D hours is quite a bit longer than 2D minutes. Heck, there've been some nights I would've used something like this on myself.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This honestly makes more sense as a shipboard defense, pirates board your ship, and you pump your sleep inducer into the hallways to thin them out, or disable them entirely.

I could see this being used to keep someone asleep after they've been stunned as well.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, all. I've switched out the weapon for another.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
This honestly makes more sense as a shipboard defense, pirates board your ship, and you pump your sleep inducer into the hallways to thin them out, or disable them entirely.

I could see this being used to keep someone asleep after they've been stunned as well.

If i was doing that, i'd just go with a rechargable stun grenade grid...
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, there are many ways to skin that cat. I was just offering some more practical applications of the item in question.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I've been writing Shadowrun too long, but I have some really bad ideas of how this might be used.

The "best" of them being used as a slaver's tool.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Maybe I've been writing Shadowrun too long, but I have some really bad ideas of how this might be used.

The "best" of them being used as a slaver's tool.

TBH, slavers would love the stun weapons as they stand. I know in a Firefly game I played, we made vicious use of a "stun broom" (basically, a shotgun on a stun setting) and a drop ceiling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: