The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Home (not house) rules you use when hosting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Home (not house) rules you use when hosting Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Home (not house) rules you use when hosting Reply with quote

Nearly every GM or group of players i have ever been with, has a list of House & home rules they have when hosting games.
Whether its as simple as "every one brings snacks if they wanna eat", or "no drinks on the game table itself, keep them by the side stands", or
"take your damn shoes off when you come in the door"..

So what sort of home rules do you have, or you have seen? Have any been TOO restrictive IYO? Have any been so troublesome, you asked to get the game hosted elsewhere?
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not give the dog food items he isn't supposed to have. (He will claim rights to anything which gets dropped though.)

Phones away at the game table. If you need to call/text someone, or answer a call/text, step away.

Yes, they are real swords. A couple of them are valuable antiques, and are only there to be looked at, not touched.

The computer in the gaming room deliberately does not have internet access, it's only to be used for gaming aids and reading/searching electronic gaming books.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman wrote:

Yes, they are real swords. A couple of them are valuable antiques, and are only there to be looked at, not touched.

I take it someone tried, and got cut??
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Tinman wrote:

I take it someone tried, and got cut??

No. A couple people have asked if they could handle them, and were told that they couldn't in no uncertain terms. If someone wants to mess with something like that, I also have a couple shinai and bokken they can goof around with, but not inside the house. (Also with the understanding that I am not responsible for the results of them doing so.)
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The director can be bribed (requires a bag of M&Ms).

CPs are awarded for pizza, chips, soda, artwork, Star Wars music, well painted mini's - anything that makes the game more fun.

No cell phones. Turn 'em off! (A ringing phone = immediate malfunction (You're on your ship in hyperspace!? Ka-Blaaaaam! Only had to tumble out of control into realspace once.)

No girlfriends. (You're all invited to PLAY, or leave.)

I, as Director, can roll any of your dice any time I choose. (Never saw those dice again.)

Bonus CPs for sound effects. Yes, laughing EXACTLY like Jabba counts.
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone chips in (at least a little) for food and drink.

Booze isn't banned but drunk RPing can make the GM's job that much harder.

GM decides the music. No one touches the music box under penalty of CP/FP being withheld.

Never pet a burning dog.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule 1: If you break that antique chair because you're a 6ft+ tall and 180 lbs+ guy who heavily slumped in that same chair when you disagreed with the GM's ruling, be prepared to pay for the repairs of that antique chair unless the GM's father says "Eh, it's not the first time that old thing got broke; don't sweat it because I'll pay for the repairs again, no biggie."

Rule 2: Do not depend on that debt forgiveness occurring every time the chair gets broke. My pop's a nice and generous guy, but he's no fool. (Senile yes, foolish no.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Rule 1: If you break that antique chair because you're a 6ft+ tall and 180 lbs+ guy who heavily slumped in that same chair when you disagreed with the GM's ruling, be prepared to pay for the repairs of that antique chair unless the GM's father says "Eh, it's not the first time that old thing got broke; don't sweat it because I'll pay for the repairs again, no biggie."

Rule 2: Do not depend on that debt forgiveness occurring every time the chair gets broke. My pop's a nice and generous guy, but he's no fool. (Senile yes, foolish no.)

In one of the homes i have gamed in over the many years there was one HOME rule
"The rocking chair is ONLY for the DM or the DM's wife. No one else ever sits in it. The recliner chairs are first given to those with bad backs, and if they are missing then who sits there first gets it."
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any die that falls off the table must be re-rolled.

Anyone who puts himself into a position to be able to see behind the GM screen loses a CP whether or not they intended to sneek a peek (not interested in arguing mens rea )

If a player gives another player advice when their characters cannot possibly communicate...the receiving player is forbidden from doing what was suggested.

Pizza purchase was often a pseudo democratic process.
The possibility was motioned with tossing in a couple bucks for pizza. Seconded by tossing in a couple more.

This continued until the critical value was reached; we got enough for all regardless of the contribution. Because some were financially better or worse off than others...and it fluctuated...it came down to donating as much as you could, tempered by how hungry you actually were.

This is all past tense, because I RP with my friends via internet now. The in-house game I run is for my kids and their friends...and I'm financially sound enough to feed everyone on game night. Smile
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:

No cell phones. Turn 'em off! (A ringing phone = immediate malfunction (You're on your ship in hyperspace!? Ka-Blaaaaam! Only had to tumble out of control into realspace once.)

Best thing I've read all year.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

If a player gives another player advice when their characters cannot possibly communicate...the receiving player is forbidden from doing what was suggested.

I like this idea.. I've often struggled over how to punish meta-gaming like it before..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've often struggled over how to punish meta-gaming like it before..

LOL. Oh, the tribulations of an evil GM. "How do I punish players just right?"
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

I like this idea.. I've often struggled over how to punish meta-gaming like it before..

And then we get into the world of meta-metagaming...

"I better suggest setting off the explosives so he DOESN'T DO THAT."

Gah. Having flashbacks to Shadowrun where two different runs went south... one when the guy decided to get laid in the middle of a run, and the other where a guy decided to "just have a couple beers to establish my cover" while on another.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes. Shadowrun. Where we usually skip plans A and B entirely, and go straight to whichever plan's left that involves ridiculous amounts of plastic explosive and irrelevant carnage.

I love Shadowrun.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Feel free to throw the cats as far as you like if they're being a nuisance, just make sure they land on something soft.
2. Don't be an idiot with your food or drinks.
3. The GM is boss and you can address grievances with him (very, very rare) after the game, but not during it.
4. If something isn't making sense to you, speak up! I'd rather answer "dumb questions" (no such thing, IME, especially pertaining to RPG's) than have you plod along with your party not understanding what's going on.
5. If I detect you powergaming or adversarial gaming...we will have to talk about it in private later. I don't like it and neither do my regulars.
6. No take-back-sies. I want the PC's to succeed as much as they do! But if you lose your beloved PC because the dice were cruel, I can't breach the integrity of the game to Deus ex Machina some reason for you to survive.
7. If you're not having fun, tell me! We'll totally work together to make the magic happen for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: