The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Character Sheet/Templates Project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Character Sheet/Templates Project Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dinger
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Character Sheet/Templates Project Reply with quote

So I got a weird idea to start a rebuild of the 2nd edition revised character sheet with Adobe Illustrator and InDesign. Currently this is what it looks like as a pdf that does not have fillable fields, and I am working to build in fillable fields for a second version.

Im also thinking of possibly redoing the compiled templates that is currently available onto this sheet so everything is uniform, with a uniform reference to where it was originally located. Mainly so that the legacy ones from First Edition match as well as the ones that have the equipment etc listed on a second sheet will take only 1 page instead of 2. (Oh god this is a scary amount of work)

I am hoping to get this set up for single sided as well as back to back printing (and I think the footers might need to be reversed so that when it prints the page numbers will appear on the correct outside margins, but that will be as easy as just swapping them in the master spreads)

You will need to right click and open image in new tab for these
Link to large screenshot of Character Sheet
Link to large screenshot of Compilation Index
Link to large screenshot of Compilation Sheets

**Edit**
Here is the spreadsheet I am building the table of contents and index from, if anyone is able to help locate the sources for the unknowns it would be of great help

As I do have the original excel file I have set this spreadsheet that people can edit it.

Spreadsheet

Last edited by Dinger on Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Looking forward to watching this project develop.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dinger
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might try and seek help from members just because I do not have a full copy of acrobat so I cant OCR the current PDF, and with the current restrictions here I cannot take the print out to the librar and use the huge scanner to make an OCR'd PDF.

Im also thinking of making an organization change and categorizing the sheets by their source so all the 2nd ed would be grouped, all the tales of the jedi companion ones grouped
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinger wrote:
I might try and seek help from members just because I do not have a full copy of acrobat so I cant OCR the current PDF, and with the current restrictions here I cannot take the print out to the librar and use the huge scanner to make an OCR'd PDF.

I wish I could help. I have no OCR technology or know-how. The Open D6 PDFs that I scanned and compiled many years go to create the original PDFs of D6 Space Aliens and the GM Screen—someone else took those and OCRed them. I have no idea who because they didn't credit themselves in the PDFs. That scanner just died so I need a new one.

Dinger wrote:
Im also thinking of making an organization change and categorizing the sheets by their source so all the 2nd ed would be grouped, all the tales of the jedi companion ones grouped

Please do. There can always be an alphabetical index at the end. It makes a lot more sense when scrolling through a batch of templates in a PDF for the templates from the same source to all be together. I think the mixing of all of them in the exiting low-quality fan template compilations out there was not the best decision for format.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dinger
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of indexes, made sure to retain one when I edited the D6 force powers pdf to make it more printer friendly ($7 at the library = 70 B&W or 14 color copies a week) as well as make sure that no force power spanned across multiple pages so its more user friendly
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can OCR it. I've got access to a copy of Acrobat Pro.

Just let me know when you need me to run it through, and I can send it back to you. It only takes a moment to do.
Dinger
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time would work, Im still building the backbones I will need for compiling (the current work on the sheet will be modified a bit here and there in regards to special abilities, equipment etc sections)

Also just uploaded a spreadsheet Im building the table of contents and index from, there are some entries that appear without any source markers that I am hoping to track down information
Dinger
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was able to get the 2nd Edition Revised and Expanded character sheet as done as my tools allow.

InDesign cannot change the direction the text fills in the Player Name box on the side, and cannot make it so you can load an image into the character portrait section

Tossed the PDFs up on Google Drive and the fillable fields will not be visible unless downloaded

Interactive PDF (Fillable Form Fields)
1st Edition Character Sheet
2nd Edition Character Sheet
2nd Edition Revised and Expanded Character Sheet

Normal PDF
1st Edition Character Sheet
2nd Edition Character Sheet
2nd Edition Revised and Expanded Character Sheet
Dinger
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Quick Update*

I found on D6 Holocron's wiki what looks to be all of the templates but typed up in full copy and paste format so That should make things a bit easier.

I almost have a toned down character sheet ready for data entry, I just wanted to get the fillable PDFs done first.

Also in the first post I have a link to a spreadsheet that I will be using for making a Table of Contents and Index. There are some templates that I can not source which book they came from and are currently marked as unknown. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of your unknowns are from Platt's Smuggler's Guide and Rules of Engagement: The Rebel SpecForce Handbook. Once you look those up and fill in your chart, it will be easier for me to source the rest for you. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dinger
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will get those in place tomorrow, its about bedtime here, the character sheets took longer than I expected
Dinger
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it narrowed down to 14 unknowns now and the online document is updated.

The Mon Calamari Mediator, Mon Calamari Pilot, Mon Calamari Technician, Quarren Deep Hunter, Quarren Miner, and Quarren Street Hustler all look to be on 1st Edition templates, spanning 2 pages as its the front and back of the page.

Brash Smuggler and Faithful Co-Pilot show just the text of the template and no other Identifying info for source.

Alliance Observer and Privateer Captain only have "Chapter 9: Campaigns" on the header to give a hint where to look.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinger wrote:
I have it narrowed down to 14 unknowns now and the online document is updated.

The Mon Calamari Mediator, Mon Calamari Pilot, Mon Calamari Technician, Quarren Deep Hunter, Quarren Miner, and Quarren Street Hustler all look to be on 1st Edition templates, spanning 2 pages as its the front and back of the page.

These are from the 1e adventure Death in the Undercity. I believe three of the six templates were updated to 2e in the 2e republication of that adventure in the Classic Adventures: Volume Three compilation.

Quote:
Brash Smuggler and Faithful Co-Pilot show just the text of the template and no other Identifying info for source.

These capsule-form templates are in Classic Adventures (the original). They condensed them to save space but they are great templates that deserve full page versions!

Quote:
Alliance Observer and Privateer Captain only have "Chapter 9: Campaigns" on the header to give a hint where to look.

These are from Pirates and Privateers.

The three unknown Bounty Hunters are from Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters. I think the Rebel Conspirator says PG Tapani right on it.

There are a couple different template compilation PDFs out there and I remember noticing that neither one of the was complete. I don't see the Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts templates in your TOC.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dinger
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I totally glossed over the Rebel Conspirator while I was populating that section of the sheet.

I will open up GG8 to look through it, Between the D6 Holocron Wiki and the Template compilation Volume 1 I have a few that appear in 1 source and not the other, I suspect on the wiki might be conversions from D20, or from fan made source books.

Spreadsheet has been updated, thanks for the help so far.

Im also going to look through the 1st Ed Core book to see if there are any templates there that never made it over to any newer editions and are missing from my list
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. All the templates from the 1e core made it into R&E or the GM screen revised.

Now there are a few with multiple variations. Some only have some minor tweaks to the text. But Failed Jedi template in in 2e Blue Vader and the one in GM Screen (which is based on the 1e core template) are two different templates, both called Failed Jedi.

In 2e Blue Vader they had those skinny two-a-page templates so needed less text. The Brash Pilot was rewritten for that book too, but I think that was the basis of the Rookie New Republic Pilot in R&E.

See this for notes on typo corrections and more about the R&E templates.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: