The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Being stunned and executed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Being stunned and executed.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Being stunned and executed. Reply with quote

So this is a little problem I'm looking into. I'm sure many others have already solved it.

So you can stun someone for 2D rounds if you get 4+ on damage. Then someone can walk up to them and put a bolt right into their head, or saber through their chest. So what is the purpose of not always just having blasters set to stun and then quick clean up?
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing stopping someone doing this at all...but it is not very
Star Wars.

If a character did this in my campaign they would automatically get
a Dark Side Point for each murder, because that is what it would be.

The enemy are already subdued by being stunned, they could easily be
tied up and stuffed into storage lockers, handed over to authorities etc,
there is no need to kill them.

If a Jedi player condones this or stands by while others do it, then he
should get a Dark side Point too and an additional one for each murder
he allows to happen. Because he is allowing evil (in star wars terms) to
occur.

of course, YMMV

Xain
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Being stunned and executed. Reply with quote

Azai wrote:
So this is a little problem I'm looking into. I'm sure many others have already solved it.

So you can stun someone for 2D rounds if you get 4+ on damage. Then someone can walk up to them and put a bolt right into their head, or saber through their chest. So what is the purpose of not always just having blasters set to stun and then quick clean up?

Yes, setting a blaster for Stun Damage is flawed in RAW. All wound status results of Wounded or higher being Unconscious means that the Stun Setting has a tactical advantage over normal damage when the most common goal in a blaster fight is to stop your opponent from attacking you. In this respect RAW is a poor interpretation of the films because they almost never show the Stun Setting being used.

A simple solution is to just move the Unconscious result of Stun Damage down to Incapacitated or worse on the Character Damage Chart. Then Wounded can become Stunned, and Stunned can be No Effect. Then normal and stun settings have very similar immediate effects but normal damage is still has a slight tactical advantage over stun damage the way stunned and wounded results accumulate from multiple hits.

And yes, executing unconscious enemies should in most cases result in a Dark Side Point, but not even just for Force characters.

If you're interested, I posted some more comprehensive Damage/Wound system modification possibilities.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for your input. Whill you solved the problem exactly how I want to handle it. It stays in line with the character that doesn't wish to kill, but still doesn't make stun overpowered for those that will straight up execute those they stun. At least in a really easier fashion tactically speaking.

I will take a look at those modifications and see if they interest me. And as bad as this sounds, we don't use darkside points in our campaign. There is a uniqueness on ripple effects but no evil vs good concept. (Though darkside corruption and temptation is a thing but it is house ruled)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, you can also restrict stun to being ONLY close range (short) brackets for what ever weapons are being used..
And if PC's still are using it, then there's nothing saying the enemy can't do the same tactic to them!
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to take this a step further than Whill does. The way I run it, in order for a stun to render the target unconscious, it must achieve a result of "killed."

Lesser results add 1 "stun" to the target's condition, while a "stunned" result has no effect (other than to make the target angry).

I do it this way in order to simulate the difficulty of live capture. Such an objective has a way of complicating things.

Another option that comes to mind is to allow the target a willpower roll in order to overcome the effects of the stun result. Go on youtube and check out some videos of cops using their tazers to virtually no effect to understand what I'm talking about here.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what both are you are saying, and restricting stun to close range could be interesting. I mean we only ever see the blue rings at close range I believe.

Though while the willpower is tempting, I want to kept the idea of 'being' stunned there. Like powerful people still falling pry to stun as with the movies and animated series. Realistic or not. But it was tempting!
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) It does not appear to be imperial doctrine. They seem to use stun setting only rarely.

2) How long is someone stunned? One round? two? Seems to me an "incapacitated" result would be needed to take an enemy out of the fight, or maybe three stun results?

3) I remember reading somewhere, long ago, stormtroopers are immune to stun. Perhaps others in full armour are also immune?

4) The Jedi have a force power that makes them immune to stun.

5) What goes around comes around. If you feel this tactic is somehow dishonourable (I don't), have the enemy start using it back against the players.

I disagree that stunning then slaying your enemy is dishonourable. I would not award a dark side point, as killing your enemy in war is not an evil act. At least, no more so than blasting a hole through his chest or dropping high explosives on him.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
1) It does not appear to be imperial doctrine. They seem to use stun setting only rarely.

Based on the core novels/films that does seem to be true, they are less concerned with capturing people.. However for a game, only ever having the enemy use kill shots, does tend to make things more lethal..

Volar the Healer wrote:
2) How long is someone stunned? One round? two? Seems to me an "incapacitated" result would be needed to take an enemy out of the fight, or maybe three stun results?

By the R&E book, someone STUNNED out cold is out for 2d minutes.. Someone knocked unconsicious via regular damage is out for 2d hours..

Volar the Healer wrote:
3) I remember reading somewhere, long ago, stormtroopers are immune to stun. Perhaps others in full armour are also immune?

Never heard that.. The closest i have seen is that stormies are immune to being conned.. (or was it intimidated?)

Volar the Healer wrote:
4) The Jedi have a force power that makes them immune to stun.

True, but they need to have it up before they get ko'ed..

Volar the Healer wrote:
5) What goes around comes around. If you feel this tactic is somehow dishonourable (I don't), have the enemy start using it back against the players.

Its what i do.. The more inhumane pcs are towards the enemy the LESS likely that enemy is to be willing to show any mercy to the party...

Volar the Healer wrote:
I disagree that stunning then slaying your enemy is dishonourable. I would not award a dark side point, as killing your enemy in war is not an evil act. At least, no more so than blasting a hole through his chest or dropping high explosives on him.

There's a difference between me killing an enemy combatant who is a threat, and me killing that same person who is now a prisoner.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Never heard that.. The closest i have seen is that stormies are immune to being conned.. (or was it intimidated?)

They are immune to being bribed.

garhkal wrote:
By the R&E book... Someone knocked unconsicious via regular damage is out for 2d hours.

Where in R&E are you getting that? Incapacitated is out for 10D minutes unless revived sooner, and Mortally Wounded is out until revived
(if revived). I'm not seeing where normal damage knocks someone out for 2D hours.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where i got the 2d hrs from. Might have been remembering 1e or 2e base...
D+1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Being stunned and executed. Reply with quote

Bad Form is the biggest reason. Executing stunned opponents is just NOT the Star Wars way of playing things out. If NPC's do that against the PC's then the DM has TOTALLY missed the feel of Star Wars. If PC's are doing it against their opponents they have perfectly valid motivations AS PLAYERS. Stun-then-execute is more effective. But then they are definitely not Good Guys. In roleplaying terms, as noted, it makes for a CONSTANT stream of Dark Side points.

To set for stun, or to use a weapon that ONLY stuns, is a very conscious choice. As a character in the Star Wars universe your reason for that choice is that you WANT live prisoners, or you specifically DO NOT want to kill your opponent. To then execute them when they are helpless is EVIL. Oh they may DESERVE death because only a few moments ago they were doing their best to kill YOU, but you made the very DELIBERATE choice to avoid killing them.

Stun-then-kill is a strictly a mechanical advantage inadvertently granted by the rules and it is Bad Form to abuse it just because you know you can.

The suggestions of moving the effect further down the damage result list and restricting it to short range are probably the simplest means of just solving the problem mechanically. Fighting fire with fire by using the tactic against the PC's is only proof (IMO) that both the GM and the players have lost all grasp of the G, PG, or at most PG-13 feel of the Star Wars universe and - again, IMO - are leaping right to a hard R rating. And there's really nothing wrong with that if everybody is on board with it, but rather misses the point of choosing to play Star Wars instead of some other setting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: