The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Wing Commander Crossover Conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Wing Commander Crossover Conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Wing Commander Crossover Conversion Reply with quote

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wing_Commander

spent a very long time working on this and then reworking it and then redoing it and again and again, etc. this is the final version. i feel pretty decent about it and hope its received well.

the resources i used are:
http://wcrpg.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Main_Page
http://www.wcnews.com/encyclopedia/showrecord.php?id=1478
http://wingcommander.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

that first one is basically the online version of the 1,118 page .pdf i have for a wing commander tabletop rpg. i also used google to try and find any pictures those 4 links didnt have.

now before everyone harasses me about the weapon damages, hull/shields and speeds heres something you need to know:
a civilian grade laser cannon does 18 damage (2D+2 walker scale) in the wing commander games and the tabletop rpg. whereas the most powerful weapon was the capship missiles, which did 60,000 (7D death star scale) damage. if you dont like the damages the way i left them, drop the scale on it all by 1 level.
capital ships had hulls ranging from 70 (3D+1 speeder scale) up to 224,000 (7D death star scale). in its own system capital scale started at 1,000 and everything less was, well, less. which was an issue when trying to balance everything as starfighters had hulls ranging from 20 to 13,512 (2D speeder to 4D+2 capital). so maybe you can understand the scales for the ships ranging from speeder all the way up to death star.
speeds were listed in kilometers per second. so at first i went and just did the math to get the kilometers per hour. a common speed for capital ships was 150 kps (kilometers per second). which comes out to be 540,000 kmh. (provided my math is right) so to get the Space rating i then went and divided by 1,000. so my 2st run at the speeds would put the common capital ship at less than 0 for a space speed. seems ok until you use the same method for starfighters. the slowest starfighter was at 300kps and the fastest was at 1,040 kps. this would give me space speed ratings between 8 and 61. and that was way to fast. so for my final conversion i found the kmh and then found out the speed per SW round and divided by 100. so capital ships ended up being slower, much slower and starfighters were back into the slightly more reasonable range of 1 to 48. though most fell into the area of 400-500 kps: 10 to 16. unfortunately capital ships came in under space 1, but since they move in space i gave them a space of at least 1 but gave the closest atmospheric speed associated with their listed kps.
cargo capacity was listed in volume, ie the F-107 Black Lance "Dragon" has 3.1 cubic meters of cargo space. for simplification i just said it was 3.1 metric tons of cargo capacity. i could have used complicated math since from my youth i recall that river rock weighed 2,800-3,200 pounds per cubic yard depending on the rock type. that comes out to around 1.27 - 1.45 metric tons in a cubic yard. which math (i hate you maths) says is roughly 1.108 metric tons per cubic meter. and thats a lot of added work thats not really needed.
and if youre wondering, because i know someone will eventually notice and ask, some ships had little to no sensors while others had lots and lots of sensors. some installed equipment gave bonuses to sensors and targeting computers while others were only sensors and others were just for ordnance. so basically some ships have higher fire control bonuses than actual sensors systems and vice versa.
maneuverability was based off the ship's hit difficulty. some ships had maneuvering thrusters and/or auto slide assemblies (described as advanced maneuvering thrusters). so most ships will have at least 1D in maneuverability and iirc the highest was around 6D+2. but thankfully i didnt have to go and tweek anything that had high maneuverability as it didnt really have too high of a hull rating.
some ships lengths are complete out of the blue guesses. i listed these as (estimated).
for faster than light travel i couldnt get an actual number to work with in terms of speeds or distances, etc. so i guessed using the current generation FTL systems as a x1, the previous as a x10 and the oldest listed as a x100.
for the ships gear most have the description listed from the game itself or a summary thereof. if youre wondering about what some of that means, i have no idea. for example, "Industrial Manipulator Module x1: The ship may perform any industrial duty" the only thing i left out was "the intended function of the module should be indicated at the time of the ship's creation." while i argued with myself point about why that last bit should be left out or left in i eventually just left it out seeing as it was info that wasnt really adding or subtracting from the overall function of the ship.
tractor beams. scouring a 1,118 page mostly all text .pdf for info about tractor beams was futile. while it may have been there and i think it is, and i may even have come across it, but it mostly reads like a text book rather than an rpg sourcebook and i think i lost any info on it. so i basically just used standard info from SW and just used the ship scale and base Hull code dropping any pips for the strength of the tractor beam. figuring that the ship couldnt tractor anything greater than its own structure could withstand.

races were easier since they had info for humans (terrans). using them as the baseline i could easily figure out the others. some minor adjustments were made for balance and because not everything converts straight across.

now i went through and wrote up most of this and then went back and edited and re-edited and again re-edited it to its final version so im pretty sure there are some typos and some errors in there but i cant seem to find them. so if ya do find typos, either go in and fix them or let me know exactly where they are and ill go in and fix them when able.

well that was a lot of, um, yeah that was a lot. i started this back in march 2014 and finished july 2016. i stopped in may 2014 and started and stopped again in september 2014. having kids is time consuming. i decided it was time to finish it back in april 2016. so from april through july i spent 5 to 6 days a week working on this in my free time.

so for my last thought for right now, i hope you all enjoy it.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot to mention the prices: an F-36 Hornet Light Fighter has a listed Cost of 123,648,500. a CVL-133B Lexington-class Strike Carrier Cost: 20,716,894,565.

so make of that what you will. if you wish to base a cost off of this heres a list to work with:

starfighters:

http://wcrpg.wikia.com/wiki/6.3:_Vehicle_Catalog

capital ships:

http://wcrpg.wikia.com/wiki/7.3:_Capital_Ship_Catalog

ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the hard work you've done, and the same thanks to everyone whose made similar contributions.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the PDF with all the information in once place and loadable onto a tablet available for download?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as base prices, I'd probably divide by 1,000 and convert to credits...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the main .pdf can be found here:

http://wcrpg.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

along with 3 supplements for the game itself.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say, I like the idea. Haven't looked at the numbers, but it gives you a good source of ships that are, IIRC, about the right size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: