The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Anooba
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Anooba
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Anooba Reply with quote

Tried to find this little sucker on the holocron but the link was red. I don't really know how to base this wolf like creature on another creature. It is fast, agile(Able to jump out of the way of blaster bolts, and keep up with speeders) And also strong. Though from what I can do there aren't a lot of stated canine or "wolf" like creatures in star wars (Beyond races)

Ever since the Clone Wars my players love it, so I thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone wanted to take a whack at it or already has..

(Apologize if this is in the wrong sub-forum, I guessed this might be the best place.)
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't generally post full rules, but rather just the conceptual basis and the specific rules that are at issue.

If the average "trained" shooter in SW has 3D in blaster, then you could just give it a high Dex (say 5D, maybe 5D+2... 6D seems like a stretch to me, but, it's your game). With that, it should be able to dodge the majority of shots fired at it. You could also give it a species bonus (1D or 2D seems to be WEG's chosen species bonus) when dodging ranged attacks.

Don't know if it has a keen sense of smell, but if so, that would be another species bonus. Depending on just how acute its senses are, I could see making the bonus as high as 4D. Also, it might have a high perception in the first place (of course with limits on which skills it is able to even use... search, sneak... that's about it).

As for strength, I would tend to keep it "normal" at 2D-3D (unless it's a particularly large creature), and express its "strength" through a high lifting skill. I would presume that it would have a decent stamina score, and probably a decent brawling score. Speaking of brawling, I'd give it a damage bonus (2D?) for fangs. I might even give it a brawling skill bonus for a pounce attack (or whatever it would use to take down prey during a chase).

Anyway, that's my input. Hope its helpful.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it is really helpful. It gives me a skeleton to go on and guidelines if I make it too powerful.

Pretty much most of what you said sounds great. The strength part fixes a problem I was having, but giving it fangs that do more damage but not increasing the character's resistance.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also look to the katarn. http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Katarn
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anooba
Type: Pack predator
Planet of Origin: Tatooine
DEXTERITY 3D+1
PERCEPTION 2D+2
Hide 3D, search 3D+2, sneak 4D
STRENGTH 2D+2
Special Abilities:
Bite: Does STR+1D damage.
Claws: Do STR+2 damage.
Low Light Vision: An anooba can see twice as far as a normal human in poor lighting conditions.
Move: 12
Size: 4 meters long (including tail)

I should add that I didn't create this stat block and I can't remember where they came from, most likely from one of the Rancor Pit PDF's or maybe from the G+ Star Wars D6 group. Credit to whoever did.

Xain
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.

The only suggestion I have is that the Low Light Vision should be a dice bonus, not a "twice as far" notation. The RAW doesn't really give a distance for human vision at night, but it does include, IIRC, a -2D Penalty to Perception / Search for low light conditions (and -4D for total darkness). If you are just looking for a partial offset of the low-light penalty, giving the Anooba a +1D bonus to Perception / Search in low-light conditions reduces the RAW penalty to -1D.

EDIT: Also, reflecting Naaman's post above, I'd give it Dodge at a minimum of 1D above attribute, a +1D bonus to Search (due to sense of smell) and probably bump the Move up, as Anoobas are supposed to be quite fast. A Move of 12 is just enough to run 100 meters in a little over 10 seconds (if you can accelerate to All-Out fast enough), which is roughly that of a human track runner. For something that can keep up with a speeder, I'd say 20-30 at a minimum.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nase move of 20-30 seems out there to me. Again, I have no clue what an anooba is or why its so fast. But if we consider the cheetah, which, until about 2003 was able to out accelerate even the fastest of sports cars, that animal can only maintain its speed for short bursts. I'm fine with a movement of 12.

D&D handles the cheetah's speed by allowing it to charge at 10x its baae speed, but its casual speed is normal for a medium quadraped. The anooba could be handled similarly: for up to x rrounds, can move at y-times its base speed. At x+1 round, it must pass a stamina check or become fatigued. Of course, each successive stamina check gets harder.

I suggest this because it seems to be the general consensus that while humans are significantlyslower runners than almost all legged mammals, they are the fastest over great distances. The farther the trip, the more advantageous for the human.

Even over relatively short distances, such as a marathon, humans have occasionally been able to beat horses.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
A base move of 20-30 seems out there to me. Again, I have no clue what an anooba is or why its so fast. But if we consider the cheetah, which, until about 2003 was able to out accelerate even the fastest of sports cars, that animal can only maintain its speed for short bursts. I'm fine with a movement of 12.

A little perspective...

Usain Bolt would've needed a Move of 13 to set his world record 100m time of 9.58 seconds, and as you mentioned, humans are not noted for their speed in the animal kingdom.

The African Wild Dog (with a top speed of 66km/h) can run at 60 km/h and maintain it for 4.8 kilometers. This translates into a Move of 21 traveling at All-Out for almost 5 minutes, which would require making a Difficult Stamina roll, then failing a Very Difficult roll.

The hyena can achieve similar speeds and maintain pursuits for up to 24 km.

There are several other animals, including gazelles, antelope, wildebeest, etc, who can hit at or near the Move 20 mark and maintain All-Out velocities for extended periods.

The cheetah's Move calculates out to 40-42, and there are several other predators that can maintain high speeds for short distances.

Quote:
D&D handles the cheetah's speed by allowing it to charge at 10x its baae speed, but its casual speed is normal for a medium quadraped. The anooba could be handled similarly: for up to x rrounds, can move at y-times its base speed. At x+1 round, it must pass a stamina check or become fatigued. Of course, each successive stamina check gets harder.

The RAW already has a rule for Long Distance Movement, but it doesn't kick in until after the first minute, at which point a Very Easy roll is required, which then goes up one level per additional minute. This rule is designed more towards human endurance levels, which are, as you say, at the upper end for the animal kingdom.

For something like the cheetah in SWU stats, I would give it a Move of 40, then apply a -2D penalty to Long Distance Movement Stamina rolls.

Ultimately, animals with a Move of 20 are not uncommon even here on this planet, and animals with Moves of 30-40 are not outside the realm of possibility.

Quote:
I suggest this because it seems to be the general consensus that while humans are significantlyslower runners than almost all legged mammals, they are the fastest over great distances. The farther the trip, the more advantageous for the human.

Even over relatively short distances, such as a marathon, humans have occasionally been able to beat horses.

IMO, this would be connected more to the Stamina roll for Long Distance Movement.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All excellent points. And while I chuckle to myself over the notion of nitpicking over something like this, I find it fun for some strange reason.

When I see dogs off leash or footage of gazelles or cheetahs or whatever moving around at casual speeds, they are scarcely moving faster than a person tends to walk.

If the average human can run 40m in 5 seconds at maximum sprint, it seems silly to me that an animal (think of a man running with his dog) would only be walking at just over its resting heart rate.

I rather think the answer is to allow quadrapeds a higher multiplier for all out speed than 4x.

Borrowing once again from D&D, the horse is "born" with the endurance feat, and some animals have the run feat (which yields an increased multiplier for all out speed).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
All excellent points. And while I chuckle to myself over the notion of nitpicking over something like this, I find it fun for some strange reason.

It is fun, isn't it?

Quote:
When I see dogs off leash or footage of gazelles or cheetahs or whatever moving around at casual speeds, they are scarcely moving faster than a person tends to walk.

If the average human can run 40m in 5 seconds at maximum sprint, it seems silly to me that an animal (think of a man running with his dog) would only be walking at just over its resting heart rate.

Don't forget the Partial Move rule. A character doesn't have to move at its full Move rate. A human with a Move of 10 can make a normal Move of between 6 and 10 meters. A dog with a Move of 18 could pace a human with a Move of 10 and still count it as a normal Move without decelerating to Cautious Speed.

Quote:
I rather think the answer is to allow quadrapeds a higher multiplier for all out speed than 4x.

Borrowing once again from D&D, the horse is "born" with the endurance feat, and some animals have the run feat (which yields an increased multiplier for all out speed).

Something I noticed from my earlier post is that there is a lot more variety in the animal kingdom between Full and All-Out speeds. Several of the fastest long distance running animals on the planet can hit 80-90% of what the RAW calls their All-Out speed, yet can maintain it for minutes at a time over 5-6 kilometers.

I'm thinking something based on the Partial Move rule above, where every meter of Move below the Maximum for whatever Speed Level the creature is traveling counts as a bonus to Stamina for the Long Distance Move rules. Nothing concrete yet, but I think there is something to it...

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that sounds like an interesting way to solve the problem. Perhaps a little more math than some would prefer, but it feels like a reasonable solution.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Yeah, that sounds like an interesting way to solve the problem. Perhaps a little more math than some would prefer, but it feels like a reasonable solution.

Probably the safest way to do it would be to just write it up as an Optional Rule, then let PCs choose to use it if they want. It'd be like a runner choosing a pace somewhere between a jog (High Speed) and a flat-out sprint (All-Out Speed), balancing the numbers based on their understanding of their own performance and stamina.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: