The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Beaning with a grenade
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Beaning with a grenade
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Beaning with a grenade Reply with quote

One of the things i love having enemies do when they use grenades is to 'baseball like' bean them into someone set to go boom upon impact..
BUT i have often wondered, shouldn't that then mean the grenade does both impact damage as well as the grenade damage?
IF so, what would be a good impact damage value? Str +1, Str +1d, or a set amount?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Str+1D would be excessive. I'd be inclined towards simply letting Str damage work at a range, maybe with a +1 or +2
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble seeing how the physical impact of a grenade set to detonate on contact would even matter. Honestly, I'd just give it a pass and add +1D (at a bare minimum) to the grenade's Point Blank damage for having it go off touching a character.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
dic1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better if you set the delay just right they have time to look down to see what hit them just before it goes BOOM.
"We already have fifteen Black Squads, twelve Dark Squads, four Raven Sqauds, three Midnight Squads, one Sable Squad, one Ebony Squad and one," she glanced at a sheet of paper, "Pink Squad. Yes...we're all a little worried about Pink Squad."
Grunts
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dic1 wrote:
Better if you set the delay just right they have time to look down to see what hit them just before it goes BOOM.

When i go that route, i have the grenade be part of a threesome, tied together to form a Bola..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Beaning with a grenade Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One of the things i love having enemies do when they use grenades is to 'baseball like' bean them into someone set to go boom upon impact..
BUT i have often wondered, shouldn't that then mean the grenade does both impact damage as well as the grenade damage?
IF so, what would be a good impact damage value? Str +1, Str +1d, or a set amount?

An, the musings of an evil GM.

One attack becomes two simultaneous damage rolls? Yes, the point blank range grenade exploding would render the force of the grenade hitting irrelevant. I'm no military expert but I'm pretty sure soldiers don't try to "bean" people with a grenade in hopes of hurting the enemy a little more than just the explosion would. Grenades aren't MLB baseballs. It's a volatile explosive device you should handle with care and shouldn't want to be around when it goes off. If a player asked me if he could do it I might let him try, but rule that the extra force being put into the "pitch" would mean a greater chance of the grenade exploding in their own hand before being released. In my game it's usually best to not get too greedy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that if it detonates "on impact," then the impact is irrelevent to the ultimate damage being caused.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Beaning with a grenade Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

An, the musings of an evil GM.

One attack becomes two simultaneous damage rolls? Yes, the point blank range grenade exploding would render the force of the grenade hitting irrelevant. I'm no military expert but I'm pretty sure soldiers don't try to "bean" people with a grenade in hopes of hurting the enemy a little more than just the explosion would. Grenades aren't MLB baseballs. It's a volatile explosive device you should handle with care and shouldn't want to be around when it goes off. If a player asked me if he could do it I might let him try, but rule that the extra force being put into the "pitch" would mean a greater chance of the grenade exploding in their own hand before being released. In my game it's usually best to not get too greedy.

Hence why when i have DONE that, if i rolled a 1 on the 'throwers' wild die, it went boom in HIS HAND (yes i have had several npcs who have died or gotten injured from it, and even 2 pcs who adopted that tactic themselves)..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Beaning with a grenade Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
An, the musings of an evil GM...

Hence why when i have DONE that, if i rolled a 1 on the 'throwers' wild die, it went boom in HIS HAND

You didn't mention that before. I have 1 on the wild die for throwing a thermal detonator as automatically exploding point blank range from the thrower because they are not designed to be thrown. (I tell players that the moment they get a TD on their character sheet so they have ample warning).

Grenades outside of stun grenades are extremely rare in my SWU so this wouldn't likely ever come up. But if a PC got a grenade and I allowed for this, making it 1 in 6 chance of the grenade going off in their hand would be a deterrent itself because my players generally aren't dumb enough to risk it.

Naaman wrote:
I feel that if it detonates "on impact," then the impact is irrelevent to the ultimate damage being caused.

I agree.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Beaning with a grenade Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
An, the musings of an evil GM...

Hence why when i have DONE that, if i rolled a 1 on the 'throwers' wild die, it went boom in HIS HAND

You didn't mention that before.

Well, as you mentioned, the volitility of it, especially if set for impact, could cause an issue if improperly handled. Hence the 1 on the wild die being a boom on the thrower.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: