The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Movement Skill (Agility)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Movement Skill (Agility) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainKorbak
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have renamed the Running skill to Movement in my games since it also covers flight in species like Geonosians and Toydarians.

I have been experimenting with making it a Reaction skill. That is if an opponent makes a move to back away from someone in melee, or to get to cover, the player may roll their Movement (Running) skill as a reaction. The higher roll acts acts first or has priority. In melee that means both combatants move but the attacker stays with the defender and they both move in tandem. In ranged combat the shooter may move to a position that give him a clear shot.

I realize this behaves a little strangely with 2e initiative rules. It is a bit of a call back to 1e where they higher roll takes priority in a round segment.

It hasn't been tested enough as a rule for me to feel comfortable dropping it on my players yet. My hope is that not having to declare movement and just being able to drop it in as a reaction to certain actions will make combat less static.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainKorbak wrote:
I have renamed the Running skill to Movement in my games since it also covers flight in species like Geonosians and Toydarians.

That makes sense. The stats for either species include separate base Moves for walking and flying, so a creature naturally capable of flight should also be able to use Agility.

Quote:
I have been experimenting with making it a Reaction skill. That is if an opponent makes a move to back away from someone in melee, or to get to cover, the player may roll their Movement (Running) skill as a reaction. The higher roll acts acts first or has priority. In melee that means both combatants move but the attacker stays with the defender and they both move in tandem. In ranged combat the shooter may move to a position that give him a clear shot.

I realize this behaves a little strangely with 2e initiative rules. It is a bit of a call back to 1e where they higher roll takes priority in a round segment.

It hasn't been tested enough as a rule for me to feel comfortable dropping it on my players yet. My hope is that not having to declare movement and just being able to drop it in as a reaction to certain actions will make combat less static.

Interesting. At first blush, it reminds of the Attack of Opportunity rules from WOTC.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CaptainKorbak
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Anything that goes down the dark path of "attack of opportunity" rules may be a bad idea. I may have to go back to the drawing board. Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainKorbak wrote:

What about swimmers/burrowers and the like?
CaptainKorbak
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Good question. For aquatic species I would probably allow them to roll Movement since moving through water is as easy as walking is for humans. Burrowing seems to be more Strength based to me, so I would make that its own skill or fold it into Athletics (my catch-all skill for Swimming, Climbing, Lifting, and Jumping).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CaptainKorbak wrote:

I've got a Zero-G/Flying (Dex) skill that flying characters use to fly. And of course I kept Swimming as its own skill. For burrowing I have a skill called Digging, and yes it is a Str skill.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CaptainKorbak wrote:
Good question. For aquatic species I would probably allow them to roll Movement since moving through water is as easy as walking is for humans. Burrowing seems to be more Strength based to me, so I would make that its own skill or fold it into Athletics (my catch-all skill for Swimming, Climbing, Lifting, and Jumping).

I don't know if I'd go quite that far into folding skills together. Strength already has the fewest skills of any of the Attributes. If anything, I'd think Climbing and Jumping should be split.

As far as Burrowing, I would probably make that a race-specific skill, reserved for species that are actually physically equipped to do it. It's not like a human being can learn how to swim through dirt, after all...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, that should be the same with flight. Racially specific to species with wings.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Burrowing, I have a different opinion... for the most part, burrowing isn't a tactical move, like Running-skill actions would be. You don't burrow as a Dodge. If anything, I'd be tempted to make Burrowing a Knowledge or Technical skill, similar to Blacksmithing... while you need physical ability to do it well, most of its mechanics are in the mind, not the body.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
On Burrowing, I have a different opinion... for the most part, burrowing isn't a tactical move, like Running-skill actions would be. You don't burrow as a Dodge. If anything, I'd be tempted to make Burrowing a Knowledge or Technical skill, similar to Blacksmithing... while you need physical ability to do it well, most of its mechanics are in the mind, not the body.

Unless the creature doing the burrowing isn't intelligent, such as the Graboids from Tremors or Dune Sandworms. For such creatures, burrowing isn't a cerebral exercise, like digging a tunnel; it's just what they do. That's how I picture a Burrowing skill.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of graboids, i wonder what their various incarnations would stat out for d6?
CaptainKorbak
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

MrNexx I like the cut of your jib! I can see where you are coming from on that. I was thinking of the need for Strength in moving through a variety of materials. But when I think about when a PC would actually use such a skill...hmmm....I think they would be more concerned whether or not the tunnel would collapse, whether that had the right tools to dig through that type of material, whether they could dig a trap deep enough to trap an AT-AT. I can see where Technical or Knowledge may be a better fit. You have given me something to think about.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainKorbak wrote:
I can see where you are coming from on that. I was thinking of the need for Strength in moving through a variety of materials. But when I think about when a PC would actually use such a skill...hmmm....I think they would be more concerned whether or not the tunnel would collapse, whether that had the right tools to dig through that type of material, whether they could dig a trap deep enough to trap an AT-AT. I can see where Technical or Knowledge may be a better fit. You have given me something to think about.

I could see that more as a subset of the Engineering Advanced skill, insofar as the surveying and placement of the bracing and such. The actual physical labor would be more based on what tools are being used (Dex for digging with a pick axe or other hand tools, Mech if using a drilling device of some kind). I made a post here a while back on Burrowing Vehicles; maybe that would be a more appropriate place to follow this line.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Talking of graboids, i wonder what their various incarnations would stat out for d6?

Probably need to hammer out usable rules for Burrowing Movement first. Like what would the Terrain Difficulty be for different kinds of dirt / rock to move through. For Graboids and Sandworms, solid rock was an impassable barrier...

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Probably need to hammer out usable rules for Burrowing Movement first. Like what would the Terrain Difficulty be for different kinds of dirt / rock to move through. For Graphics and Sandworms, solid rock was an impassable barrier...

So was supposedly concrete..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: