The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Movement Skill (Agility)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Movement Skill (Agility) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Talking of graboids, i wonder what their various incarnations would stat out for d6?

Probably need to hammer out usable rules for Burrowing Movement first. Like what would the Terrain Difficulty be for different kinds of dirt / rock to move through. For Graphics and Sandworms, solid rock was an impassable barrier...

So was supposedly concrete..

Also, depending on the burrowing method used, some creatures would be able to bore straight through solid rock, such as the Horta from Star Trek, which uses a powerful acid to "eat" the rock as it burrows its way through it...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never really used them.. YET.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainKorbak wrote:
Ha! Anything that goes down the dark path of "attack of opportunity" rules may be a bad idea. I may have to go back to the drawing board. Wink

I feel like the attack of opportunity is the primary reason why d20 combat feels more dynamic (mechanically) than D6.

In any case, you may consider allowing a player who makes a high enough parry roll be allowed to disengage from combat, or you could make an option for characters who want to get away to use the full parry rules, but instead of the bonus on their roll, a successful roll allows them to escape combat (move up to their speed).
CaptainKorbak
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

I feel like the attack of opportunity is the primary reason why d20 combat feels more dynamic (mechanically) than D6.

In any case, you may consider allowing a player who makes a high enough parry roll be allowed to disengage from combat, or you could make an option for characters who want to get away to use the full parry rules, but instead of the bonus on their roll, a successful roll allows them to escape combat (move up to their speed).

I like the simplicity and clarity of that rule. Truth be told though I was teasing d20, I did run quite of bit of Star Wars d20 Revised back in the day. And it had its bright spots.

My goal with the opposed Running roll was even more simple than attacks of opportunity. It was to try to get around a little mechanical quirk of 2e with regard to movement.

Jedi Bob wins initiative and declares 2 actions: move 10 meters to reach Stormtrooper J1M, then hit him with a Lightsaber. Stormtrooper J1M declares 2 actions. Back up 10 meters and shoot Jedi Bob. Even though Jedi Bob wins intiative he can't simply walk up and give him a glowstick gobsmack.

I was trying to come up with a simple solution, "Roll opposed Running. If you roll higher you get to thwack him." I was trying to a avoid tweaking the whole initiative system, and borrow a page from 1e at the same time. But that led down a rabbit hole of Reactions, Held Actions, and AoOs. Shocked The GM rule abyss.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RAW allows, for instance, a character to use Brawling Parry against a Melee Combat Attack, but at increased Difficulty. Perhaps something similar can be used here. A Character can roll Agility (or Dodge, if you don't want to combine them) against a Melee / Brawling Attack at increased Difficulty and, on a Success, also makes a free Move away from the attacker.

However, unless the Defender beats the Difficulty by a certain amount (say, 10 or more), the Attacker gets to dictate which direction he moves in.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The RAW allows, for instance, a character to use Brawling Parry against a Melee Combat Attack, but at increased Difficulty. Perhaps something similar can be used here. A Character can roll Agility (or Dodge, if you don't want to combine them) against a Melee / Brawling Attack at increased Difficulty and, on a Success, also makes a free Move away from the attacker.

However, unless the Defender beats the Difficulty by a certain amount (say, 10 or more), the Attacker gets to dictate which direction he moves in.

I've done that before. BUT always with the caveat that the one moving himself out of combat, then can't attack back without spending another action to close back INTO combat.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've done that before. BUT always with the caveat that the one moving himself out of combat, then can't attack back without spending another action to close back INTO combat.

That makes sense, since the attack wouldn't be part of the Agility/Dodge roll.

CaptainKorbak
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

These are all great suggestions. I am going to try these maybe with a one-shot, combat heavy game and see what comes of it. Naaman's "full-dodge" move might be what I try first. Thanks all!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this came up in another topic, I thought I'd give this a bump.

What would an Agility skill (as a combination of Running and Dodge) look like in written form?

As a side note, my version would include this, to reward characters who get high skill rolls on Agility by allowing them to move further per round.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been meaning to get back around to this...

Agility

Time Taken: One Round or more
Specializations: Sprinting, Broken-Field Running, Evasion
Description:
Agility is the character's ability to run, keep his balance (especially in rough terrain) and avoid attacks, especially ranged attacks. When used for movement, the Difficulty for Agility is based on how fast the character moves, and on the type of terrain being crossed (See "Movement and Chases" for more information). In addition, a good Agility skill roll can increase the distance moved in a round. For every 5 points of success on the Agility roll, increase the distance the character moves by 1 meters.

When used to avoid attacks, the Difficulty is based on the Base Difficulty for the Range of the attack. A character may use the same skill roll to both make a Move and avoid an attack (counts as a Standard Reaction), but suffers a -1D penalty. Agility can also be used to avoid Melee or Brawling Attacks, but is a poor substitute for Melee Parry or Brawling Parry, suffering a +10 Modifier to Base Difficulty.

Note: This skill is a combination of the RAW Dexterity skills Dodge and Running.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if i am shooting you, your diff for an agility dodge is just the BASE difficulty i would have, Not what i rolled?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So if i am shooting you, your diff for an agility dodge is just the BASE difficulty i would have, Not what i rolled?

Where did I say that?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Here is the full text of the Dodge skill from the 2R&E Sourcebook:
Quote:
Dodge
Time Taken: One round.
Specializations: Kind of ranged attack to be dodged
- energy weapons, grenades, slugthrowers, missile
weapons.
Dodge is a "reaction skill" used to avoid any ranged
attack, including blaster fire, grenades, bullets and
arrows. Characters using this are doing whatever they
can to dodge the attack — slipping around a corner for
cover, diving behind cargo containers, dropping to the
ground, or any other maneuvers to avoid getting hit.

You'll notice it doesn't say anything about the game mechanics of Difficulty and Opposing rolls, either. I'm not looking to redefine the rules for dodging attacks, just the skill used.

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a set difficulty for dodging incoming fire rather than an opposed roll for several years. I find it works very well and mirrors reality a lot more.

I also give the dodge roll bonus dice based on the available cover nearby.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about adding new skills like this is skill bloat. Why have a new skill when the Running skill is already in the game? Heck, I like no movement skill at all--just do a DEX check on those rare times when needed--as we do in First Edition.

Players have a limited resource in skill dice when they create their characters. Having two skills for movement seems counter-productive to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: