The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revolution, SW style..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Revolution, SW style..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:47 pm    Post subject: Revolution, SW style.. Reply with quote

IF you were to have a planet, that 'power outaged' itself, ALA the plotline of the NBC Tv show, from 2012-13, Revolution tv show.

How would you have it impact things?

Would it infringe on droids?
Ships flying?
Lightsabers?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were like the TV show Yes to all.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a little more thought on this, and it has been a while since I watched the show. As I remember it, anything that relied on Electrical power or electromagnetically generated energy, or had electrical circuits of any sort was affected by (not sure what to call it...) the field. Such an effect would debilitate almost everything that characters may rely on in a Star Wars game. Ships, Droids, Lightsabers, Vibro Weapons, Force Pikes, Blasters, Sonic Weapons, Repulsorcraft, many medical tools and basic survival tools...which very much could strand a player group and leave them near defenseless.
In the show, as I recall, there were devices that temporarily negated that effect within a small area, and from what I could surmise even provided power (if the whole power grid is down, negating the effect in a house to use a computer would not work - unless there was an unseen generator or the device was a power beacon). This could make for some interesting plot ideas for a mini-campaign if there is a person controlling this effect on a planet and has working tech (or a combat droid enforcer or two...makes me think of that one classic BSG episode...). Additionally this could be an interesting idea if the purpose of this was to keep the hostile and militant empire (or any outsiders) away.
This also brings up other interesting considerations. How far beyond the atmosphere does the field stretch? Would it affect a ship in orbit? Could the sensors of a ship in orbit detect the sources of such interference? Could the sensors on a ship detect pockets of active energy within the field? How and why was the field created? Who is behind it? Is this an imperial experiment for new weapons tech to suppress problematic worlds?
Also as I recall from watching the show, certain primitive combustive and steam power are unaffected, likely because they rely on mechanical force and not electrical circuits and magnetic motors as more modern combustion. Black Powder, Gun Powder, and traditional explosives would be unaffected, but likely any type of electrical or digital detonator would not work.

I hope these thoughts prove useful.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
I put a little more thought on this, and it has been a while since I watched the show. As I remember it, anything that relied on Electrical power or electromagnetically generated energy, or had electrical circuits of any sort was affected by (not sure what to call it...) the field. Such an effect would debilitate almost everything that characters may rely on in a Star Wars game. Ships, Droids, Lightsabers, Vibro Weapons, Force Pikes, Blasters, Sonic Weapons, Repulsorcraft, many medical tools and basic survival tools...which very much could strand a player group and leave them near defenseless.

Yup.. Gazzillions upon gazzillions of nanites, were some how released, that 'absorbed' energy.. Turning everything off..

KageRyu wrote:

In the show, as I recall, there were devices that temporarily negated that effect within a small area, and from what I could surmise even provided power (if the whole power grid is down, negating the effect in a house to use a computer would not work - unless there was an unseen generator or the device was a power beacon). This could make for some interesting plot ideas for a mini-campaign if there is a person controlling this effect on a planet and has working tech (or a combat droid enforcer or two...makes me think of that one classic BSG episode...). Additionally this could be an interesting idea if the purpose of this was to keep the hostile and militant empire (or any outsiders) away.

Ben Matherson, one of the initial project managers for the project that created it, made these nano controlling pendants, that could 'supress' the nano in the area, for a short while, and range (8ft iirc was what they said), though someone COULD build amplifiers to increase that range..

KageRyu wrote:

This also brings up other interesting considerations. How far beyond the atmosphere does the field stretch? Would it affect a ship in orbit? Could the sensors of a ship in orbit detect the sources of such interference? Could the sensors on a ship detect pockets of active energy within the field? How and why was the field created? Who is behind it? Is this an imperial experiment for new weapons tech to suppress problematic worlds?

Nice thoughts. I was thinking also, if a weapon was shot FROM orbit, would the 'nano' field, have enough time to absorb the blast before it hit ground?
As for expanding outside the atmosphere, iirc no, since in the show, satellites still worked..

KageRyu wrote:

Also as I recall from watching the show, certain primitive combustive and steam power are unaffected, likely because they rely on mechanical force and not electrical circuits and magnetic motors as more modern combustion. Black Powder, Gun Powder, and traditional explosives would be unaffected, but likely any type of electrical or digital detonator would not work.

I hope these thoughts prove useful.

That's why guns and even muskets were in high use..

IF nothing else, if the rebellion found such a planet, AND figured out a way to get in/out safely, it would make for one HELL Of a 'safe zone', to hide out from the empire..!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. nanites, I remember now...
garhkal wrote:

I was thinking also, if a weapon was shot FROM orbit, would the 'nano' field, have enough time to absorb the blast before it hit ground?
As for expanding outside the atmosphere, iirc no, since in the show, satellites still worked..

I would say no. My thought is that the amount of energy discharged from any such Starfighter Scale Weapon or larger from outside the field would be hitting multiple thousands of such nanites simultaneously and not allow sufficient time to disperse through the field and be negated. The Result would be lots of destroyed nanites. In the case of a Turbolaser blast from orbit, this might even create a temporary pocket where there is no more interference until nanites can respawn or flow in from outside the strike area in sufficient numbers to replace those destroyed. Though I tend to dislike the impenetrable energy field or instant adaptation of certain sci fi franchises - so my thoughts should be taken with a grain of salt.
This makes it even more significant if a capital ship in orbit can detect the source or those controllers.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they'd detect the controllers, but they MAY detect the field itself. Not sure they'd sense it was nanites...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I don't think they'd detect the controllers, but they MAY detect the field itself. Not sure they'd sense it was nanites...

Given the limitations of sensors in Star Wars I would agree they could likely not sense the nanites themselves.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, how buggered up, someone with cybernetics would feel on that planet!!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about the entire infrastructure of the planet. Food harvesting and distribution. The major population centers would become a food desert FAST.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like in the show, warlords would rule large areas, with most of the populations being farmers, hunters, fishers etc.. As for trade, there wouldn't be that much past the local area...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: