The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using Affect Mind to Kill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Using Affect Mind to Kill Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Using Affect Mind to Kill Reply with quote

While the rules for Affect Mind don't cover this, Affect Mind could conceivably be taken far enough to allow the user to kill a living target via mind control.

Consider this: the brain controls all functions of the human body, including tasks over which most people have no control at all, such as autonomic nervous function. This is the umbrella description for bodily functions like keeping the heart beating or breathing without conscious thought (such as when unconscious or asleep).

Suppose a Force user used Affect Mind on a character so as to deactivate his circulatory system by messing with the autonomic nerve functions that control the heart. The target would very quickly pass out and die as his body starved of oxygen.

It wouldn't work so well using the same trick on breathing, because a conscious human exercises some control over breathing, but there may be other possibilities. Imagine using this to affect critical nervous system functions that don't kill right away, but weeks later instead, like the SWU equivalent of the Dim Mak.

Just a thought...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While i MIGHT see it working on say convincing someone "That gaseous environment you are getting ready to go into, is NOT toxic to you", i don't see it working in the way you envision in telling your targets body to shut down.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, "I don't have Injure/Kill, but I *do* have Affect Mind"?

I can see someone trying it, but I can't see it being a terribly effective way to kill someone.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see using affect mind to cause someone to jump off a ledge or out of a window. Or maybe getting them to believe they can only breathe underwater.

But, those would be at some steep difficulty levels with an instantaneous dark side point.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
While i MIGHT see it working on say convincing someone "That gaseous environment you are getting ready to go into, is NOT toxic to you", i don't see it working in the way you envision in telling your targets body to shut down.

Okay. Why?

If human thoughts and memories are rooted in the electrical impulses within our brains, why is one set of electrical impulses immune to manipulation by the Force, while another is not?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Basically, "I don't have Injure/Kill, but I *do* have Affect Mind"?

I can see someone trying it, but I can't see it being a terribly effective way to kill someone.

I'm just musing about the concept at the moment, so I haven't come up with any rules yet. Considering the myriad of potential uses for Affect Mind, anything I did come up with would likely be another Force power with Affect Mind as a prerequisite.

And no, not terribly effective, but with greater potential for subtlety than TK Kill.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I could see using affect mind to cause someone to jump off a ledge or out of a window. Or maybe getting them to believe they can only breathe underwater.

But, those would be at some steep difficulty levels with an instantaneous dark side point.

Oh, definitely.

But if you can alter one set of memories or perceptions, why not another? After all, what is an autonomic nervous response but the mind remembering to breathe every few seconds, or beat the heart?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Okay. Why?

If human thoughts and memories are rooted in the electrical impulses within our brains, why is one set of electrical impulses immune to manipulation by the Force, while another is not?

Because of the write up.. It can change memories, conclusions or perceptions.. Something like telling someone they can't breath is none of those 3..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Because of the write up.. It can change memories, conclusions or perceptions.. Something like telling someone they can't breath is none of those 3..

Just to clarify, would you have the same objection to a separate power that did this that had Affect Mind as a prerequisite?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.. If you had a new power that was able to affect someone's autonomous reflex actions but needed AM as a pre-req, i would be ok..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
No.. If you had a new power that was able to affect someone's autonomous reflex actions but needed AM as a pre-req, i would be ok..

Oddly enough, the stats for a Telepathic Kill power would likely be little different than the RAW stats for Telekinetic Kill. I long ago switched to a house rule where TK Kill was resisted by the target's Strength roll, not Perception, but Perception or Willpower would likely be the better choice to resist something like this.

Also, regarding use of Affect Mind to trick someone into a fatal error, what would be the increase in Difficulty to convince someone to do something that would kill them?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High.. At least +20..

Heck one of the WORST ones i saw used on a PC from a dark jedi was after the DJ popped his last FP (and the PC was out), and he used AM to make him think Vader WAS HIS master...
LegendaryExGamer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TP Kill is an awesome thing to think about. The perfect crime... Until you introduce an investigator that has force ability and a power like Postcognition...

I think I am totally going to use that in a game.

Aside from that, affect mind is super simple if it's a base level command on the weak willed. Simply telling the stormtroopers on the Death Star, when Kenobi was rigging the tractor beams, to "Step left" to the guy on the left and "Step right" to the guy on the right would have easily accomplished the kill!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends. Lets say you are altering their perception. Base Cont is say 5, + on average 12-15 for relationship for a stormie you just saw, +2 for being in LOS..
LegendaryExGamer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That depends. Lets say you are altering their perception. Base Cont is say 5, + on average 12-15 for relationship for a stormie you just saw, +2 for being in LOS..

Still, not all that difficult. It should be pretty hard, you are making a person kill themselves with a "technically" non lethal power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: