The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using Affect Mind to Kill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Using Affect Mind to Kill Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if you have 6d+ in all 3 powers its 'not that difficult..
LegendaryExGamer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Maybe if you have 6d+ in all 3 powers its 'not that difficult..

Ok, so are you used to playing low powered games? Because the point of gaming is growth no? To see change in our characters and development. That's the beauty of the D6 system. We're a bunch of older gamers, we don't get to play that often. Thus we typically break a 12 hour session (3pm to 3am if we're super lucky) into 2 game sessions. Awarding between 25-50 character points per session depending upon what was accomplished.

I'm 43, as of this upcoming October 11th. I have no desire to play in mind numbing games that award a measly 6-8 points, no matter what you accomplish.

My Jedi Counselor is up to 4D+2 across the board in 3 game sessions. Raised his melee to 7D from 6D and bumped his 2D Force attribute a pip. Among other skills that i tossed points at. We also have a training system implemented in the rules which allows for someone to train players and they get a couple character points a skill, trained, so long as the guy was skilled and possesses the training advanced skill (1 point per success level typically). The training thing is not often awarded, but when you seek it out, at least we have a mechanic for buffs to it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a long term player, no i wouldn't say 5ds and up are rare, but they hav to work to get there..
LegendaryExGamer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
From a long term player, no i wouldn't say 5ds and up are rare, but they hav to work to get there..

Agreed. No arguments there. However, if the power is being used to kill...

Then you are a bored Dark Jedi or Sith Acolyte! Honestly, there are more interesting ways to kill people. It strikes me that a jedi doing this has already mastered damn near every other way to kill a person!

TP Kill, however, as in telling a person to die. That's pure genius. It's the perfect Star Wars Crime until another Jedi is called into the scene. If the jedi is devoid of them, then you have the perfect serial killer.

Sweet ideas, for rejuvenating old rules!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
While i MIGHT see it working on say convincing someone "That gaseous environment you are getting ready to go into, is NOT toxic to you", i don't see it working in the way you envision in telling your targets body to shut down.

Okay. Why?

If human thoughts and memories are rooted in the electrical impulses within our brains, why is one set of electrical impulses immune to manipulation by the Force, while another is not?

Because of the write up.. It can change memories, conclusions or perceptions.. Something like telling someone they can't breath is none of those 3..

CRMcNeill wrote:
Just to clarify, would you have the same objection to a separate power that did this that had Affect Mind as a prerequisite?

garhkal wrote:
No.. If you had a new power that was able to affect someone's autonomous reflex actions but needed AM as a pre-req, i would be ok..

CRMcNeill wrote:
Oddly enough, the stats for a Telepathic Kill power would likely be little different than the RAW stats for Telekinetic Kill. I long ago switched to a house rule where TK Kill was resisted by the target's Strength roll, not Perception, but Perception or Willpower would likely be the better choice to resist something like this.

CRM, I think you jumped back into the mindframe of whomever created the game's original Affect Mind Force power and then hypothetically took it even one step further. It seems they took the 'Jedi Mind Trick' as overtly portrayed in the films (the 'conclusions' aspect of the power) and then added to the game's power what they thought would be reasonably related effects (perceptions and memories). Lucas was inspired by Dune's The Voice ("Put your hand in the box") which is outright commands, and the Affect Mind power creator may have also been inspired by the box which alters perceptions, making the person feel that their hand is burning off (perceptions). But this use of the Force power was arguably used in Return of the Jedi if Luke wasn't actually Force-choking Jabba's Gamorrean guards and only altered their perception to make them feel like they were being choked. Either way, the power's creator added memory alteration to the power, and now you come along and consider it also overriding autonomic functions.

I feel that while that is not unreasonably related to the power's existing effects, that is still taking the spirit of the power too far for my taste. At most I can see maybe overriding an autonomic function that can be overridden by the conscious mind such as breathing, and then when the target stopped breathing they would pass out, the mind affect would be broken, and they would start breathing again (unconsciously). But you could accomplish the same thing with the power as-is in RAW by just making the person think that the atmosphere they are in is poisonous and if they breath they'll die, causing them to hold their breath until passing out or breath in and then think they are dying and pass out.

I feel overriding autonomic functions to harm someone as you have described should just be a separate power like TK even if you have it work differently as you have suggested.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: