The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi to Mandalorian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Jedi to Mandalorian. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
This might interest you...

In the immortal words of a great philosopher....Giggity Goo!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, his beginner training involved a backpack full of rocks in the Tatooine desert.

He believed in hard core survival training, teaching his students to survive in combat and harsh environments to be able to complete any mission given to them.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see that there necessarily NEEDS to be a penalty to failing to live up to Mandalorian ideals... They're a point of roleplaying, not a source of power.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I don't see that there necessarily NEEDS to be a penalty to failing to live up to Mandalorian ideals... They're a point of roleplaying, not a source of power.

So long as roleplaying is adhered to, and the social consequences for the character's actions have an appropriate in-game effect.

In the link above, Dredwulf60 uses the Ijaat (honor) concept as representative of a character's level of prestige among the Mandalorian culture.

I've considered something similar, with the Organization rules from WOTC's Saga Edition The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide. While it would require conversion from D20 to D6, the basic idea is that a character's ranking and reputation within a given organization (be it Empire, Alliance, Black Sun, Mandalorians, etc) would be represented by a D rating, like a skill, which could be used to obtain assistance, equipment, etc.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

I've considered something similar, with the Organization rules from WOTC's Saga Edition The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide. While it would require conversion from D20 to D6, the basic idea is that a character's ranking and reputation within a given organization (be it Empire, Alliance, Black Sun, Mandalorians, etc) would be represented by a D rating, like a skill, which could be used to obtain assistance, equipment, etc.

If I were to implement something like this in my games, it would not be able to be raised by character points. It would be boosted by deeds and favors granted to particular factions. Or, through particularly pleasant interactions via roleplaying. Pips would be rewarded at the end of session by the GM to the necessary players. Because, I don't think it's very fair to have a player invest character points, do something to damage his reputation with a faction, and then be s*** out of luck as far as their CP investment is concerned. Although... now that I think about it, it might make someone have to think long and hard before they betray a faction they've spent so much time building a rep with.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
If I were to implement something like this in my games, it would not be able to be raised by character points. It would be boosted by deeds and favors granted to particular factions. Or, through particularly pleasant interactions via roleplaying. Pips would be rewarded at the end of session by the GM to the necessary players. Because, I don't think it's very fair to have a player invest character points, do something to damage his reputation with a faction, and then be s*** out of luck as far as their CP investment is concerned.

Agreed. Character points, and the skills raised by their expenditure, are not something that can be simply taken away in such a fashion. I see something like this more as a blend of Advanced Skills and dice bonuses awarded based on how well the character/s advanced the goals of the parent organization. For the purposes of this conversation, advancement as member of the Mandalorian culture would come from upholding Mandalorian ideals or in some way advancing the Mandalorian "cause", which in turn builds the character's reputation, increasing their influence with other Mandalorians, and so on and so forth.

The thing that I like most about this idea is that it adds a concrete advantage and disadvantage to the role-playing side of the game (as opposed to the roll-playing), in that a character's choices are no longer rewarded or punished solely by GM fiat, but have a structural system in place to represent those consequences.

Quote:
Although... now that I think about it, it might make someone have to think long and hard before they betray a faction they've spent so much time building a rep with.

I'd steer clear of this. Character points are used to increase skills by training, and training isn't something you can extract from a character when they get fired or demoted. If the character's membership and reputation were expressed as a D code that stacked with certain skills (such as stacking with Command or Persuasion when applied to members of that group), then a reduction in that ranking would be completely appropriate.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're on the subject of Mandalorians, I posted this over at Google+ a few months back. Armor manufacturer AR500 has teamed up with Heckler & Koch (the makers of the MP5 submachine gun, as well as several other famous firearms) to make Mandalorian-themed ballistic armor in real life! It looks like Mandalorian armor, and can stop real bullets.

Here's a link to check it out.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:
Yes, my NPC had shed his Mandalorian gear, but not all of the tenants of his beliefs. The armor and weapons are tools of war, which is not the way of the Jedi.

Okay, that's a much better option. The armor is generally what brings the munchkins a-running, but when you strip that away and leave just the character aspects of Mandalorian warrior culture, that presents some intersting possibilities.

But what aspects are there of 'Mando culture' that can't be duplicated in many others?

CRMcNeill wrote:
Since we're on the subject of Mandalorians, I posted this over at Google+ a few months back. Armor manufacturer AR500 has teamed up with Heckler & Koch (the makers of the MP5 submachine gun, as well as several other famous firearms) to make Mandalorian-themed ballistic armor in real life! It looks like Mandalorian armor, and can stop real bullets.

Here's a link to check it out.

Now that's frikken SWEET!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But what aspects are there of 'Mando culture' that can't be duplicated in many others?

None, that aren't covered in some other culture somewhere. However, I found the idea of someone who gave up their past as a warmongering Mando to become a Jedi more interesting than others.
Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking the whole faction reputation thing to be honest. That might be something I'm going to add into my game.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

That's not the point. The idea is to give some structure to a character's background and social connections, as in their responsibilities to that culture / organization, and what benefits derive from being a member in good standing. There will be some overlap in general types of benefit (reinforcements, equipment, etc.), but it will take the form of story factors as much as anything else.

Raven Redstar wrote:
None, that aren't covered in some other culture somewhere. However, I found the idea of someone who gave up their past as a warmongering Mando to become a Jedi more interesting than others.

I was thinking the other way around, like a Jedi who survived Order 66 and joins the Mandalorians...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melkor wrote:
I'm liking the whole faction reputation thing to be honest. That might be something I'm going to add into my game.

The D20 version (there is no D6 version at this point) can be found in WOTC's The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide, from the Saga Edition series.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Raven Redstar wrote:

I was thinking the other way around, like a Jedi who survived Order 66 and joins the Mandalorians...

Hmmm... what if you've got a Jedi who was with "defective" clones... ones who couldn't pass the training, for some reason. Order 66 comes out and it... misses them. They weren't conditioned to it. So, a Jedi winds up with a bunch of Mandolorian clones, and flees the standard parts of space.

Some twenty years later, you've got a young person, raised to the Force by their mother, who looks a lot like the clones who used to be everywhere, but acts like a Mandolorian.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Frankly, when I picture a character in Mandalorian armor wielding a lightsaber, the first word that comes to mind is "munchkin."

Not that it has to be, but it is certainly something to be wary of...

Now, take off the helmet, and make that character also a Wookie...

Sorry to digress to the previous page, but come on. This is funny! I wish I could share the image that popped into my head of the PC template called...

Mandalorian Wookiee Jedi

Hilarious! Laughing
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see your Mandalorian Wookiee Jedi and raise you a Mandalorian Rancor Jedi

"I thought you said he wasn't any good to you dead, Fluffy."

"Fluffy hungry."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: