The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Very Dangerous Array
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Very Dangerous Array
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Very Dangerous Array Reply with quote

http://schlockmercenary.wikia.com/wiki/Very_Dangerous_Array

So, the VDA is a concept from Schlock Mercenary, where you take your semi-smart missiles, launch them, and use the resulting sensor overlap to get really good sensor coverage.

How might you handle that? Some sort of combined action from several lesser-rated sensors (I'm thinking you'd more likely use droid ships than missiles in SWU, but I'm looking at the general concept).
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol,need faster then light communications.
The faster the communications the better,that's alot of $$$
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not seeing why you'd need FTL comms?

I think that the "telescope" effect is somewhat dubious, however: telescopes combine for the sake of light gathering, which is where the extra surface area comes into play, so unless you're dealing with a literal photographic image (as opposed to a "sensors" digital type representation), then I'm not really understanding the concept.

On the other hand, if the objective is simply to get the overlap and have a massive "radar" that can scout a distance equal to the torpedo's max travel, then that could work.

I'm guessing it would require somewhat sophisticated programming in order to get all the missiles to coordinate with each other and send back the "panoramic" view while also maintaining a constant distance from all other missiles.

I could imagine it being done a few ways:

1) the "cave man" way: each missile sends info back to a dedicated monitor. Each monitor corresponds to the other monitors in the same way that it's respective missile corresponds to the other missiles.

2) the "Tony Stark" way: each missile communicates to each other missile and the group constantly adjusts to make sure that all missiles maintain exact relative distances from each other. They also send their data back to the main system as a "package" where the system decodes it and displays the data as a giant map (or whatever).

3) the "Hacker" way: Each missile is fired according to a specific trajectory and has no idea that the other missiles have been fired (they each operate independently). As they send their data back to the system, the system "intelligently" creates a composite image and displays it on the monitor.

Each of these ways would require (IMO) a somewhat different skill set. The caveman way might just be a matter of making a moderate computer roll, but would take a LOT of time to set up. Not to mention how much space it takes up, etc.

The Tony Stark way would require computer rolls, and probably capitol ship weapons repair rolls in order to program the missiles (or droids, or whatever). Both rolls would be high, I think (perhaps very difficult or better).

The hacker way would probably also require the same skill rolls, and maybe a communications roll (depending on how you handle the communications skill).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: