The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

One-shot Starfighter Mission
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> One-shot Starfighter Mission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: One-shot Starfighter Mission Reply with quote

I wrote up a one-shot Starfighter mission I'll be running this weekend. After I play it I'll post it up here for you guys to peruse.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The setting is the midpoint between the Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. I took a scenario I wrote up for discovering the Death Star was being built and added in the defection of the X-Wings from Incom. Yes, I know the X-Wing defection happens at least 5-9 years later, but it's a one-shot, so I bent continuity a bit. It worked out well.

Each player knew they were playing fighter pilots from rebellion squadrons that had died out, either from attrition or lone survivors of ambushes and the like. They built their characters and wrote up a short background that was appropriate.

It started with a lone pilot coming back to his rebel hideout/base after a failed mission. Intelligence reported it as a simple storage facility. It was actually an Imperial Intelligence Ubiqtorate base. They were slaughtered.

Rebel cells are insulated from each other. What you don't know you can't reveal under duress. The player knows to send a hypercomm message and knew where the squadron commander kept the pertinent information.

His Y-Wing and R2 were badly damaged, but managed to repair both to mild states of functionality. The R2 lost its legs and he had to carry it with a strap.

A few days later a Corellian corvette shows up under the command of Lt. Kyle DuPre. (Real character from the Thrawn sourcebook). Insufferable to his subordinates and a suck up to his superiors, DuPre is critical of every mistake the players make.

He takes the player into the corvette and leads him to a pilot's lounge/quarters. There's a kitchenette in one corner, a dozen simulators along one wall, bathrooms and bunk beds take up a quarter of the room. The other pilots are already inside, drinking and eating at the tables in the center of the room and spending time running through the simulators. They are not allowed to leave the room, secrecy must be maintained. A military protocol droid comes to check on their food supplies once a day.

The simulators are for a T-16 skyhopper, a repulsor craft. They have lasers and proton torpedo launchers on them in the simulators and can repulsor lift themselves through space. The players can attempt to solve this mystery, but Lt. DuPre has no knowledge of what's on the simulators and is disdainful of any inquiries.

If the players devote a majority of their time to running through the simulators I gave them a chance to specialize in X-Wing piloting for a standard character point cost.

They meet up with a Lucrehulk freighter in the middle of deep space. Once they land inside the freighter they disembark and meet a man dressed in an impeccable suit of the finest quality. This is Admiral Drayson, head of the Commenor Defense Forces. He does not identify himself as anything more than the Admiral. There are enough X-Wings under tarps behind him for each of the players. They are warned the ships are not registered with BoSS so they can't land at spaceports without risking impoundment.

The Admiral gives them their mission: A recon flight of Geonosis. A sympathetic member of the Imperial Senate has discovered a river of credits worth of supplies has been sent to Geonosis since the end of the war. They don't know why. The supplies are mostly raw materials.

Geonosis has been erased from all BoSS maps and the Imperial archives. They need to find a soldier who fought at Geonosis during the war and can identify which star system it is from a galactic map. Luckily there's a soldier who retired to Tattooine, which they know is near Geonosis. The soldier's name is Kenobi. No, not that Kenobi; everyone knows the Jedi were all killed by Darth Vader after the assassination attempt on Chancellor Palpatine. They are given a recognition code: The daughter of Polis Massa is well." Once they get the location from Kenobi they will need to use a public navicomputer at the spaceport to plot their hyperspace route to Geonosis.

Kenobi is at Anchorhead. They can find him drinking at one of the two bars there.

They take their X-Wings and hyperspace to Tattooine which isn't far from the deep space rendezvous point. At the clear entrance zone they spot a Katarn boarding shuttle just sitting there. If any of the players have experience with pirates they will immediately recognize that this ship is 'lurking the zone,' which means they are waiting for a suitable prey ship to come out of hyperspace.

If the players don't chase the shuttle off and instead head toward the planet they will have their comms jammed in the middle of one of their sentences. If they check sensors they will see a YT-1300 freighter has reverted to realspace and is under assault from the katarn boarding shuttle. If the players choose to save the YT-1300 shuttle they will discover it is the Millenium Falcon captained by one Lando Calrissian. If they save Lando he will lead them down to a safe landing area about ten miles outside of Mos Eisley. Lando will even offer them a ride into town on his cargo skiff in gratitude for their help saving him.

They players can try anything to find Kenobi, but are likely to end up at the famous Mos Eisley Cantina. With a moderate investigation or perception roll they will spot two moisture farmers at a side table. This is Cliegg and Owen Lars, who can set up a meeting with Kenobi in Anchorhead the next day. If they don't make that roll they will have to talk to the bartender and a few others who have heard of a Ben Kenobi out around Anchorhead.

Once they find Kenobi and give him the phrase he gives them the coordinates to Geonosis and asks them to relay the message that the Son of Polis Massa is well.

At Geonosis they find a huge spacedock orbiting the planet; large enough to dock with a small planetoid. This is the spacedocks that started construction of the first Death Star. Once it was able to be moved, it was sent to Despayre to be completed as the location at Geonosis was compromised.

The players are attacked by TIE fighters piloted by COMPNOR CompForce members. Standard TIEs from the 2R&E sourcebook, all pilot skills 3D. See the Imperial Sourcebook for information on COMPNOR.

My crew of four pilots wiped out a full squadron, though they wouldn't have fared as well against fully trained Imperial pilots.

They took sensor readings of the superstructure and completed the mission by transmitting them to LT. DuPre.

That was it. Feel free to use it or modify it if you like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: