The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Brawling and Stun Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Brawling and Stun Damage Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Brawling and Stun Damage Reply with quote

I have an interesting question. My players asked how can you hit someone without killing them, say like boxing. Afaik, there isn't an official way. I now have a house rule and se your guys opinion on it.

First, I will allow people to brawling and switch to stun damage the same as Blasters can.

Second though is to change the damage chart. In D6 Space, they have a concept of derived target numbers. So if we look at the reaching the wound level for knockout as a target number, then it will make it harder to one punch a tough species such as a wookiee. (Fwiw, though there is no mention of a character getting knocked out once he pass the Strength Die in Stuns, which I'm still keeping.)

So for example it should look something like this.

A human has 2D+1 STR, He can take 3 Stunneds and is knocked out or if someone hits him and the result is 5+, instant stunned.

A Gamorrean has 4D STR. She can take 5 Stunneds and is knocked out or the threshold is 9+ for instant KO.

Also Stamina can be used instead of STR.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not simply use the rules for stun damage, where any result above "Stunned" means "Knocked out"?
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Why not simply use the rules for stun damage, where any result above "Stunned" means "Knocked out"?

1) It isn't as dramatic
3) You are letting a wookiee be the same as a jawa. : )
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as in real life, called shots. Police are trained where to hit people so that it causes pain but does no permanent damage.

Putting politics aside, Rodney King is a perfect example. They beat him with nightsticks for a very long time and broke no bones and caused no concussions. Every hit was called, to a muscled part of the body, thighs and biceps and such. Whatever else you may think of that case, the Rodney King video could be used as a learning tool for hard control.

There's also nerve strikes, though they are generally smaller targets, and in Star Wars different aliens would have different nerve clusters.

Also, joint strikes, to incapacitate rather than kill.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

1) It isn't as dramatic
3) You are letting a wookiee be the same as a jawa. : )

Not necessarily. After all, the wookie has far higher Strength, so will resist a lot more hits than the Jawa would. If the wookie and jawa start boxing, the Jawa is going to be doing his rinky-dink damage and resisting the fur-covered wrecking ball with his rinky-dink strength... while the wookie will be lightly tapped by the berobed breeze.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Brawling change Mortally Wounded and killed to Knocked out.

I have adopted the D6 Space mechanic of using 1/2 Lifting for Brawl damage. Now fistfights last an eternity and I haven't had a death yet.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

I have adopted the D6 Space mechanic of using 1/2 Lifting for Brawl damage. Now fistfights last an eternity and I haven't had a death yet.

Maybe its CAUSE You adpoted that severely lessening of brawl damage, that you have not seen a single death..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Brawling and Stun Damage Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
jmanski wrote:

Maybe its CAUSE You adpoted that severely lessening of brawl damage, that you have not seen a single death..

Maybe? I'm pretty sure that is exactly what he is saying. You seem disappointed. This thread is about brawling not killing.

Ninja-Bear wrote:
I have an interesting question. My players asked how can you hit someone without killing them, say like boxing. Afaik, there isn't an official way.

Of course House Rules are welcome, but there actually is an official optional rule in R&E on p. 98...

Quote:
Game Option: Severe Injuries
As an optional rule, a character who causes enough damage to kill another character has the option of causing a serious, permanent injury instead. (For example, a limb could be severed or a body part injured so badly that it could never be used again.) ...In addition to the severe injury, the target character is wounded, wounded twice or incapacitated (gamemaster's option).

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Brawling and Stun Damage Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
jmanski wrote:

Maybe? I'm pretty sure that is exactly what he is saying. You seem disappointed. This thread is about brawling not killing.

I know that whill. He commented that since he adopted that new rule he has had lots of brawls, but no deaths. and i agreed..
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I want to incorporate D6 Space into my.game. Perhaps I shoukd just use the 1/3 STR ruke first and see how it works out.
jmanski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
jmanski wrote:

More than likely. But I have had a death from brawling, my son (playing a fairly low-level bounty hunter) kicked a target in the stomach to subdue him; the target rolls snake eyes, son rolls 5's and 6's (result is like 20 damage and 4 to soak or something). Whaddya do?

Bam. Rule change.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that NPC not have any CP to spent on his soak roll? ARmor?
Also did the son not know about that 'maim' rule option??
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
garhkal wrote:
jmanski wrote:

More than likely. But I have had a death from brawling, my son (playing a fairly low-level bounty hunter) kicked a target in the stomach to subdue him; the target rolls snake eyes, son rolls 5's and 6's (result is like 20 damage and 4 to soak or something). Whaddya do?

Bam. Rule change.

One reason for my simple fix of allowing brawl to be considered stin damage.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unarmored and unarmed, hence the kick. Didn't think of the maim rule at the time.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about CP/FP? Did the bounty hunter have any?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: