The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Favorite character races
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Favorite character races Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Favorite character races Reply with quote

I'm compiling a list of species that are often used as characters in Star Wars roleplaying games, specifically for Gry's Star Wars race almanach. This is mostly for people who are not quite as familiar with the rules as most of us are, but also to get a quick overview when creating new characters. I'd never want to list all races and most certainly not those that should not be character races anyway (Noghri, Duinogwuin), just the ones players might be looking for if they want a specific character type or special ability.

This is my current list:

- Abyssin: hideous cyclops creatures, regeneration, desert survival, violent culture

- Barabel: reptilian strong body armor, radiation resistant, infrared vision

- Bith: Tremendous knowledge, great technicians, manual dexterity, impaired long range vision

- Coynite: great warriors, 13d stats, claws, honor-bound

- Defel: wolflike shadows, excellent stealth abilities, vicious claws

- Duros: alien-like spacers, excellent pilots

- Epicanthix: Near-Human, good dexterity and perception, various cultural skill boni

- Ewoks: cuddly primitive teddy-bears, primitive construction, protectiveness by human

- Falleen: beautiful reptile descendants, 13d stats, pheromone powers

- Farghul: roguish con-artists, prehensile tail, skilled in acrobatics and subterfuge

- Gamorreans: brutish primitive pig-men, stupid but tremendous melee combat abilities, voice-box

- Gand: secretive, slew of special abilities, martial arts

- Givin: alien-like, good pilots, excellent mathematicians, can survive in space

- Gotal: terrific hunters, mood detection, fast initiative, droid hate

- Hapans: Near Human, 13 stats, high knowledge, attractiveness, rarely speak basic, bad low-light vision

- Jenets: rodent-like, flexible, enhanced memory, various skill boni

- Lorridean: look like human, secret non-verbal language, high perception, can read body language

- Meris: Incredible dexterity, stealthy, great doctors

- Ortolans: colorful mini elephants, extreme gluttons, comedy relief =)

- Pho Ph'eahians: four armed, blue furred humanoids, multiple action bonus

- Rishii: Owl-like creatures, flight, keen senses, language talent

- Shards: Crystal beings, make excellent pseudo-droids

- Tarc: Crustaceans, strong body armor, pincers, berserkers, voice-box

- Togorians: tall cat-people, claws & fangs, intimidating, voice-box

- Trianii: cat-people, limited prehensile tail, claws, bonus skills

- Ugors: amorphous waste worshippers, can modify general shape and attributes, slow skill learning

- Vathkree: stone-like merchants, strong body armor, trade language and religion

- Verpine: insect-like, master technicians, built-in communicator, physical armor

- Wookiee: apelike, tremendously strong, berserker rage, honor-bound, voice-box

- Zelosian: Near Human, secretly plantlike, photosynthesis, immunity to alcohol, afraid of the dark

Please feel free to add your own favorite races (only official ones, please) to this list. I'll add to this myself as I have time.

Last edited by Akari on Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:12 am; edited 3 times in total
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play Squibs a lot.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then please go ahead and describe them in a fashion like mine and I'll add them to the list. Thats what this thread is for! Wink
Morpheus Grifullkin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human and Wolfen are my favorite to play.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, it seems you really won't get what you want out of this thread, Akari. C'mon, people, give the guy a hand....
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

• Human: most common galactic species, seemingly a baseline by which all others are compared.
  • Epicanthix: Near Human; slightly more dextirous and receptive than normal humans, slightly taller than normal humans, slightly less inclined to technical aspects than normal humans, can move slightly faster than normal humans, faces somewhat longer with narrow eyes, galactically naive.
  • Devaronian: males hairless with a pair of horns, teeth all incisors, red skin, and suffer from wanderlust which results in them rarely keeping a job for very long; females covered with a thich mat of fur, have molars and prominent canines in addition to incisors, do not suffer from wanderlust, but rarely leave their homeworld; wanderlust makes males a good source of info on far away systems but they usually know little on local systems.

Wanted Poster
Stule
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Twileks in my Campaign.

Twi'leks: two or one tails on their head instead of hair, different colored skin, cunning, most likely either slaves or con men,
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One-tailed twi'lek ?!! Where's THAT from?
Stule
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Bib Fortuna only have one tail?

Um...guess I should stop sniffing glue.

Very Happy

I bow before the great Gry.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Twi'leks and I would really like to play one as my character, but as it currently stands they are really sub-par as a species... Only 11d in attributes means you basically start out with 30-60 character points less then most others, their special ability of communication with their lekku doesn't come close to even that out and their general attribute max is rather lowish. I personally would have given them 12d in attributes and a rather high dexterity since the girls seem to be valued as gifted dancers and acrobats.

Same with Devaronian. In my opinion there isn't much of an advantage from a purely game-based view to play one... Wanderlust usually makes Devaronians loners, which generally is not the best for player characters and they don't really shine in anything special.

Epicanthix however might have some merit. I haven't looked into Near Humans all that much yet, since a lot of new players jump at the chance of being able to play a truly alien lifeform.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the Twi'lek's stats are really off. In my game we assigned 12D to attributes, there realy doesn't seem to be any justification in the movies why Twi'leks should be sub-standard. We've seen them as very capable administrators, dancers, jedi, etc. My Twi'lek player complained A LOT about the low DEX maximum, but I decided to respect it, even though it does seem weird, considering they're famous dancers.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that many of the things we associate to various species often have more to do with training and culture than attributes. The reason Twileks seem to make good dancers has more to do with their culture and schools than their evolution(dex).
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe Lorrideans were left out of your list.. along with the Defel, they're the only races to be banned by my GM. (It wasn't my fault, really!)

I don't know if they're a subspecies of human, or are just indistinguishable from humans, but they have high perception (5D max I think) and low Tech. They also have a secret communication similar to twileks, but with facial ticks and subtle gestures.

So I guess their one-liner would read:
Lorridean -- look like human, secret non-verbal language, high perception
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorridieans and Epicanthix added to the list, as well as some near-humans that might be interesting to play.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had many Rhodians, several Mon Calamari, a few Aqualish, and the occasional Quarren pop up:

Rhodian - Big eyed, green skinned, antenae headed, snout faced, suction cup fingered species; Violent Temperment, reputation for violance and as merciless killers.

Mon-Calamari - Humanoid, domed head, huge eyes, webbed hands; Amphibious, prefer moist environments.

Aqualish - Humanoid, huge & hairless heads, big eyes, inwardly curved tusks, possibly finned; May be exceptional swimmers, generally belligerant and brutish

Quarren - Humanoid, squid headed, suction-cupped fingered; Aquatic survival, exceptional swimmer, aquatic (air and water breathers), pressure resistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: