The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Need a spacecraft recommendation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Need a spacecraft recommendation Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Need a spacecraft recommendation Reply with quote

Can someone point me to a ship somewhere between the Millennium Falcon and a CR90 corvette? A modified freighter would be okay, or even a converted warship in the 40-65 meter range.

The ship is the main operations base for a small band (8-12 members) of thieves and sometimes the occasional bounty hunter. It's not going to be in an adventure long, but it should be a vehicle that could ostensibly be crewed by 2-4 people in a crisis and which could also pass as a tramp freighter at first glance.

The group of thieves who own the ship are professional level. The ship might be of a stealth design (or one that could be modded to it) and would need to possess beds for up to 20 should the need arise.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My go-to ship for almost any group is the 344 variant of the Guardian Light Cruiser. It uses these stats, but with only 4 crew & 4 gunners, with room left over for 16 passengers. It has a Space of 9, a x1 Hyperdrive and 1D Maneuverability, so it is decently fast and maneuverable. It's decently tough with a 5D Hull and 2D Shields. It has 3 months of Consumables and 200 metric tons of cargo capacity, which makes it usable as a light freighter, as well as giving it plenty of tonnage for modifications. On top of that, it is a common law enforcement and customs vessel, so the characters could conceivably use the appearance of officialdom to bluff their way out of trouble.

Its only real weakness is in the weapons systems (4 laser cannon), but that can be fixed with relative ease.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the Light Privateer Frigate from the AJ Article on Privateers. It comes free with the Privateer Captain Character Template...

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YT-2550? http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=YT-2550_Medium_Freighter

PB-950? http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=PB-950_Patrol_Boat
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a sizeable collection to browse at your leisure.

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Space_Transports

theres 99 freighters to choose from. not to mention the yachts, bulk freighters, scouts, shuttles, and military transports...

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! It looks like there are way more options than I thought. Anyone out there ever used the general XS-800 or even the XS stock light freighter?
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you said you are looking for might I suggest this vessel from the previously recommended holocron site? It seems to fit your needs and has te added bonus of being amphibious which will give it more places to hide.

Mantaris Amphibious Transport

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mantaris_Amphibious_Transport

Craft: Theed Palace Space Vessel Eng. Corps/Otoh Gunga Bongowerks Mantaris-class Amphibious Medium Transport
Affiliation: Naboo
Era: Rise of the Empire
Source: Wizards Website
Type: Medium transport
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 68 meters (plus 30 meter long heat sink finials)
Skill: Space transports: Mantaris
Crew: 4 and 1 Astromech droid
Crew Skill: Typically 4D in all applicable skills.
Passengers: 20, plus additional depending on attached modules (see below)
Cargo Capacity: 250 metric tons, plus additional depending on attached modules (see below)
Consumables: 3 months, plus additional depending on attached modules (see below)
Cost: 280,000 (new)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x8
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 6
Atmosphere: 330; 950 kmh
Hull: 4D
Shields: 1D
Sensors:
Passive: 10/0D
Scan: 25/1D
Search: 40/2D
Focus: 2/3D

Weapons:
2 Concussion Missile Launchers (6 missiles each)
Fire Arc: 1 front, 1 back
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 1/3/7
Atmosphere Range: 50-100/300/700
Damage: 9D

Notes: The Mantaris-class transport can be fitted with up to four bubble-shaped, modular sections. These sections can increase cargo or passenger capacity, or be used to transport wildlife. Each modular section can accommodate an additional 30 passengers, or an extra 100 metric tons of cargo.

Capsule
The Mantaris-class amphibious medium transport was a unique design of ship, made by a joint effort between the Naboo and Gungan people, led by Chief Science Advisor Graf Zapalo.

Characteristics
Being a joint venture, the design reflected the artistic qualities of both races and were remarkably adaptable to different environments, which included atmospheric flight, space, and underwater.

The basic frame was based on a Gungan cargo submersible and was enhanced by Naboo engineers to make it space worthy and included bubble shaped modular sections. This allowed a cargo capacity increase of 100 metric tons, or add 30 people or hold wildlife in the cargo bay, which in turn allowed the Mantaris Medium Transport to carry four pods at a time. It could also carry ER-1 probe droids. The vessel also boasted a Holoviewer. The class was named after a fish species it resembled.

History
The design came to fruition during the attempt to colonize Ohma-D'un, a moon of Naboo. The Mantaris Medium Transport was the Gungans' principle means of transport between worlds.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Ooooo, I really like that. Thank you for posting it.

The cost of $280k seems low to me to such a high-tech piece of machinery...I think I'd charge my PC's more.

But yeah, what a cool base of operations it would make.

What should I call it? The Kintan Strider?

EDIT: I am also leaning toward this. Except I'd have to find stats for it. Which is where our Resident Madman comes in... (How do I link to another handle on this site?)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:

theres 99 freighters to choose from. not to mention the yachts, bulk freighters, scouts, shuttles, and military transports...

Amazingly, they've got 99 freighters, but a Sith ain't one
If you've got Imperial cargo, I feel bad for you son
But they've got 99 freighters, but a Sith ain't one.

Laughing
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
thedemonapostle wrote:

Amazingly, they've got 99 freighters, but a Sith ain't one
If you've got Imperial cargo, I feel bad for you son
But they've got 99 freighters, but a Sith ain't one.

Laughing

Hahahahahaha. I just happen to be a huge Jay-Z fan and this cracked me f*ck up.

They should have some kind of Sith transport though, I agree.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I just came across the HWK-290 light freighter. KYLE KATARN, anyone? Love it.

I could see my pirate crew jamming themselves into this little ship because they can't afford a larger one. BARELY OPERABLE, something would break basically every time someone rolled a one on the wild die.

But it would be adequate for three or four missions before completely falling apart. If the crew gets genuine SPACE MECHANICS to work on her, however, she may last a lot longer.

Keep 'em coming. I like people providing specific examples instead of me browsing long lists.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
^ Ooooo, I really like that. Thank you for posting it.

The cost of $280k seems low to me to such a high-tech piece of machinery...I think I'd charge my PC's more.

But yeah, what a cool base of operations it would make.

What should I call it? The Kintan Strider?

EDIT: I am also leaning toward this. Except I'd have to find stats for it. Which is where our Resident Madman comes in... (How do I link to another handle on this site?)

It's cheap because it's a design that's been around since the clone wars/rise of the empire era.

The thing that I really like are the 4 additional cargo/passenger modules. A creative crew with a penchant for customization could do almost anything with those modules.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Hey! I just came across the HWK-290 light freighter. KYLE KATARN, anyone? Love it.

The official information on this thing must've been decided by someone who never actually looked at it. There is no way that something little larger than a fighter can carry 6 passengers, 150 metric tons of cargo and 6 months of Consumables while still being able to take on TIE fighters on the short end of ≥2 to 1 odds and still come out on top. Based on the visuals from Dark Forces 2, I'd put it at 1 passenger, 1.5 metric tons cargo and 1 month Consumables (maybe 2). The HWK-290 is at best a scout or light courier, not a light freighter.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, here is one of the better interior layouts I've seen of the HWK-290 / Moldy Crow.

Link to Image

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am claustrophobic just looking at that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: