The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fire Control Upgrades
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Fire Control Upgrades Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Fire Control Upgrades Reply with quote

In the spirit of GG6: Tramp Freighters, here is an old, old post from the AOL SW-RPG Mailing List, detailing different levels of Fire Control systems. I'm using this as a basis for something else, but I figured I'd put it out here for public consumption:
    [-] +1D Fire Control
    Model: Incom L1 "Point-Lock" Targeting System
    Type: Civilian Starship Targeting System
    Cost: 5,000 (Plus installation costs)
    Availability: 1, F
    Game Notes: The Incom L1 Targeting System was a targeting system created by Incom, while they were designing the Z-95 Headhunter. It was put into use for the general public as a targeting system for use onboard non-military vessels.

[--] +2D Fire Control
    Model: Corellian Engineering Corporation WL-5 "1.5 Lock" Targeting System
    Type: Standard Targeting System
    Cost: 7,500 (Plus installation costs)
    Availability: 2, F
    Game Notes: After the Corellians joined the Rebel Alliance, their engineering core produced this targeting system which is standard equipment in most Corellian starships (such as the YT-1300, and Corellian Corvette), as well as many "well-defended" cargo ships.

[---] +3D Fire Control
    Model: CoMar LX-7 Advanced Target Tracking System
    Type: Military Targeting System
    Cost: 9,500 (Plus installation costs)
    Availability: R
    Game Notes: CoMar designed this targeting system with military deployment in mind. This targeting system is usually deployed by several modified TIE starfighters, particularly the new TIE Interceptor, as a test to see whether they are any more reliable than the targeting systems that Sienar Fleet Systems produce.

[----] +4D Fire Control
    Model: Sienar Fleet Systems Holographic Targeting System
    Type: Military Targeting System
    Cost: 12,000 (Usually Not Available For Sale)
    Game Notes: This targeting system was a successful experiment by Sienar Fleet Systems in producing a targeting system that employed real-time holographic displays, in order for the pilot or gunner to achieve a reliable lock on any object within less than half a second. These targeting systems are usually found aboard the newer TIE Bomber models, as well as many anti-starfighter blastboats and gunships.

[-----] +5D Fire Control
    Model: KDY HS-1500 "Holo-Stat" Targeting System
    Type: Advanced Military Targeting System
    Cost: 20,000 (Usually Not Available For Sale)
    Game Notes: After analyzing Sienar Fleet Systems Holographic Targeting System, KDY went a step further by employing automated target tracking algorithms into the targeting processing computer, which allows for even faster locking on small ships, such as Imperial TIE/In starfighters. Also, this new targeting system allows the pilot/gunner to select precise areas of a target vessel to fire upon, allowing even greater accuracy when firing weaponry.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...
+2D fire control is common on standard imperial ships like Tie fighters. I suggest to class it "R"
+3D and more should be only used "only" by official navies and thus classed "X"

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalanks Balas wrote:
well...
+2D fire control is common on standard imperial ships like Tie fighters. I suggest to class it "R"
+3D and more should be only used "only" by official navies and thus classed "X"

I tend to agree. I didn't edit the text from the original; just cleaned it up and posted.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that is fine if you're talking about a specific model of fire control system. But other than being cost prohibitive, I don't have a problem with the civilian market producing things that outperform the military stuff: its true of the real world, after all. Budgets, and all that.

The TIE fighter is a great example: the empire went with (probably) the lowest bidder for a contract and that's why every rebel ship is better than the TIE. Even the a-Wing, which is most comparable outperforms it in every way. The X-Wing is slower, but it dominates with shields and firepower and a similar maneuverability, etc.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I suppose that is fine if you're talking about a specific model of fire control system. But other than being cost prohibitive, I don't have a problem with the civilian market producing things that outperform the military stuff: its true of the real world, after all. Budgets, and all that.

The TIE fighter is a great example: the empire went with (probably) the lowest bidder for a contract and that's why every rebel ship is better than the TIE. Even the a-Wing, which is most comparable outperforms it in every way. The X-Wing is slower, but it dominates with shields and firepower and a similar maneuverability, etc.

Right. The Emperor.. The guy that can simply make people do whatever he wanted with the power of the Force chose to go with the lowest bidder instead of using the Force to make companies build stuff for him for whatever he was willing to pay.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally non lasers like quad linked ions can already get around +4d fire control...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Additionally non lasers like quad linked ions can already get around +4d fire control...

How are quad lasers not lasers? Quad laser literally means "4 lasers".

And are you trying to say that a quad-laser's high FC is somehow independent from its targeting system?

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... He said "non lasers like quad linked ions".

And then pointed out that they could get around +4D fire control.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, but I hate this posting-while-tired stuff.

I always thought it was ridiculous that Tramp Freighters gave heavy lasers and heavy ion cannon higher damage as well as higher fire control.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you wind up trying to figure out why, then. Why does having a quad laser result in greater fire control? And, because I'm borderline horrible, is that exploitable? Can I quad-mount four EWebs, getting a cheap 9D+2 Character Scale/3D+2 Starfighter Scale weapon?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I suppose you wind up trying to figure out why, then. Why does having a quad laser result in greater fire control? And, because I'm borderline horrible, is that exploitable? Can I quad-mount four EWebs, getting a cheap 9D+2 Character Scale/3D+2 Starfighter Scale weapon?

That's essentially what the dual fire-linked triple blasters on the Z-95 are, but the FC value is adjusted for the size of the platform.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
d*mn, but I hate this posting-while-tired stuff.

I always thought it was ridiculous that Tramp Freighters gave heavy lasers and heavy ion cannon higher damage as well as higher fire control.

The only reason they do is that those heavy freighters and such those weapons are fire linked.. hence the added FC/Damage..
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

That's essentially what the dual fire-linked triple blasters on the Z-95 are, but the DC value is adjusted for the size of the platform.

Sure, if you want to have a really piss poor range 'quad laser' cannon..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

garhkal wrote:

Where is there a quad-linked ion cannon in the WEG stats? The only ones I can recall are dual-linked (Y-Wing) or triple-linked (B-Wing)?

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

That's essentially what the dual fire-linked triple blasters on the Z-95 are, but the DC value is adjusted for the size of the platform.

Sure, if you want to have a really piss poor range 'quad laser' cannon..

I just want a gun that makes Wookies soil themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: