The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tepasi Energy Bow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Tepasi Energy Bow Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Tepasi Energy Bow Reply with quote

Model: "Whisperer 6" model Tepasi Energy Bow

Type: Energy bow

Description: The Whisperer energy bow is a very simple weapon, consisting of a bow and string which when drawn develops a sizzling blue blaster bolt instead of an arrow. When the user releases the string, the blue blaster bolt is shot just like an arrow, but at the speed of a blaster bolt. If the user has been charging the bow, the arrow will be much brighter and appear wider in diameter, close to an artillery blaster bolt, and electrical energy will conduct up and down the bowstrings.

Operation of most energy bows requires that special gloves be worn on both hands so that the high levels of energy adjacent to the fingers does not burn them. These gloves are generally available on most worlds that have starports (usually between 20-30 credits per pair) because they are also used in hyperdrive repair, which was actually their original purpose.

Energy bows in general are preferred by individuals who aren’t keen on causing the kind of commotion a blaster might cause, as firing energy bows is only about 15% as loud as a standard DL-18. They also pack a punch and have a decently long range, which in turn makes them attractive to individuals searching for low-key arms that aren’t picked up by the Empire’s scanning technology.

Also known as: Blasterbow, lightning shooter, sixperer, assassin’s best girl, gundark’s mama, electric hunting bow, and other local names

Scale: Character

Skill: Bows: energy bows

Difficulty: Moderate

Ammo: 30 (1-3 per shot)

Cost: Energy bows are not generally for sale, though any given merchant could conceivably own one (roll 3D: if the result is 3 or 18, the merchant owns one [though he may not display it]). The merchant might be persuaded to sell it if the PC who is attempting to buy the bow makes a very difficult Bargain or Con roll. If the PC's fail a Con roll against the merchant, the merchant will get angry and eject the PC’s from his shop. After either of these rolls succeed, however, the PCs may Bargain with the merchant as usual. If they eventually succeed, it will cost the PC’s 1D+3 thousand credits to buy the Tepasi Energy Bow from the merchant. In addition to this, during the entire encounter, if the PC’s fail a Con roll against the merchant, the merchant will ask the PC’s to leave.

Energy Bows use power packs as ammunition, though they are only left attached to the bow itself for a round, after which the weapon has absorbed the 10 shots from the power pack and it is now depleted. The Tepasi Energy Bow can hold 30 shots worth of ammo, or three power packs’ worth, at 35 credits each.

Availability: 4, F, R

Body: 2D+1

Rate of fire: 1

Range: 5-30/80/200

Damage: 5D, thought this may be increased (see below) or changed to stun damage (see below)

Game notes: The Tepasi Energy Bow was popular as a sporting weapon among galactic big-game hunters for a time (ca. 600-300 BBY). This popularity first developed in the core worlds, then the expansion region, and then finally the mid rim, with the promise of new worlds and new game to hunt. New large animals to hunt were being discovered on an almost weekly basis in those days, so the big-game hunters wanted something quiet that would pack a punch and not require them to explain to Republic customs why they were carrying a very large blaster rifle. The popularity of the Tepasi Bow continued to increase steadily; a modified version was made which was popular with target shooters and eventually so using energy bows became an actual sport. The bow was already a popular weapon on worlds featuring many species of large game like Lolnar, Dathomir, Atrisia, Dantooine, and Shulxi, and of course Alderaan (all the way up until the day Grand Moff Tarkin destroyed the planet using the Death Star in 0 BBY). It is estimated that the galaxy lost roughly 20-50% of its existing Tepasi Energy Bows in that horrible event.

Special abilities:

Charging the bow:
After the Tepasi E-Bow is drawn back, it may remain drawn back for up to three rounds. Each round the user holds the bow drawn increases the Energy Bow’s damage by +1D per round (with a maximum of 8D total). A charged shot consumes three units of bow ammunition rather than one, no matter what the damage roll ends up being.

Each round the bow is drawn requires a Brawn roll starting with moderate for the first round, difficult for the second round, and very difficult for the third. If one of the Brawn rolls is a failure, the bow misfires that round. The user first loses his or her aiming bonus, then loses his or her extra damage, then if he or she wishes to fire anyway, he or she rolls his or her Bow Skill at -3D to hit.

Taking aim:
If the Tepasi Energy Bow is drawn back for at least one round, its user gets a +1 bonus to his or her Bows Skill cumulatively per round until the bow is fired, to a maximum of +1D to his or her Bows Skill.

Knock-back:
If a character is dealt 5 or more damage by the Tepasi Energy Bow in one shot, he or she is also knocked back an additional 1D+2 meters.

Resistant to scanning:
Tepasi Energy Bows are less apt to be detected by scanning equipment due to their low-tech nature. Add +3D to the Sensors difficulty when the cargo area a Tepasi Energy Bow occupies is being scanned for tech items (unless other tech items are actually there).

Stun option:
The user of the Tepasi E-Bow may change the damage of the weapon to stun or back to lethal as a roll-less full action in a round. Also, the PC wielding the bow must declare at the beginning of combat which setting the bow is on to begin with.

Quiet: Tepasi Energy Bows are not noisy weapons—an uncharged shot is about as loud as a large book falling on the floor from a height of one meter. Add +3D to the difficult of any Search rolls attempting to detect the bow by its firing sound.

Last edited by Error on Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:41 am; edited 7 times in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well conceived.

Can the user substitute his lifting skill for the strength roll to draw the bowstring?
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Very well conceived.

Can the user substitute his lifting skill for the strength roll to draw the bowstring?

Thanks!

That's a great question. Is that something that is generally allowed when a similar STR test is required?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Naaman wrote:
Very well conceived.

Thanks!

That's a great question. Is that something that is generally allowed when a similar STR test is required?

I would. I see Lifting as a general "exert force" kind of skill outside the other strength skills.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Error wrote:
Naaman wrote:
Very well conceived.

Thanks!

I would. I see Lifting as a general "exert force" kind of skill outside the other strength skills.

Understood. Thank you for clarifying.

As an underground game designer, using Lifting for skills that ask for strength seems a little whacky to me, because lifting is only one kind of strength. I mean, I understand how you would like a more evolve-able skill that represents your actual physical strength (which IRL does not top out at 4D). The thing is, the functionality of these two things has become blurred.

I'm not sure using Lifting is the correct course. I'm also not sure what is the correct course. I am a former body builder, and it looked to me like most of my buddies had 4D+1 or 4D+2 or even 5D STR.

Is there another Skill we might introduce that covers these situations without it having to be called Lifting? Lifting is only one type of action, and does not cover pulling, pushing, or a variety of other STR-based actions. But we only have Lifting to cover all of them. I vote we come up with a different, broader skill that reflects actual strength!

I think if I did, I'd call it Brawn, and not only would it erase the need to use Lifting rolls as a band-aid in strength-based situations, you can use it for other things too. Bows like the one above would check Brawn rather than Lifting or STR. Lifting would become part of Brawn, but it would be another skill which represents your actual physical strength without topping out. You would also get all of the STR-based stuff your STR might normally not cover. Not sure what that would be, but still.

So, why not re-classify Lifting as Brawn? It would expand the skill's use and get rid of an old skill which technically only gets one action.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds fine to me. And not to hijack the thread, but I have always interpreted the skills as being very general in their application. Lifting is one example. The game designers (at least by my interpretation) were not so informed on the differences between various activities that might all seem the same to the uninitiated. As a body builder, you no doubt differentiate netween pushing and pulling muscles and even between different techniques for training the same muscles depending on the desired result (maximal strength vs explosive strength vs endurance, vs speed, etc).

For me, I have always regarded lifting as the measure of the characters overall bodily strength. So, whethee the character is doing pull ups or dragging a wounded friend out of a burning wreck or lifting a rock off his buddy's leg, all of these would trigger a lifting roll in my opinion (I could see climbing being used in some cases for pull ups).

In other words, I interpret "lifting" (the skill) just as you interprer the proposed brawn. To me, it seems like all you'd need is a name change to make it suit you. I say go for it.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
That sounds fine to me. And not to hijack the thread, but I have always interpreted the skills as being very general in their application. Lifting is one example. The game designers (at least by my interpretation) were not so informed on the differences between various activities that might all seem the same to the uninitiated. As a body builder, you no doubt differentiate netween pushing and pulling muscles and even between different techniques for training the same muscles depending on the desired result (maximal strength vs explosive strength vs endurance, vs speed, etc).

For me, I have always regarded lifting as the measure of the characters overall bodily strength. So, whethee the character is doing pull ups or dragging a wounded friend out of a burning wreck or lifting a rock off his buddy's leg, all of these would trigger a lifting roll in my opinion (I could see climbing being used in some cases for pull ups).

In other words, I interpret "lifting" (the skill) just as you interprer the proposed brawn. To me, it seems like all you'd need is a name change to make it suit you. I say go for it.

Righteous Very Happy Thanks, I'm glad you're supportive.

And yeah, when I was working out the most, Monday was leg day because exercising the legs gives a T boost for about 2-3 days, which helps you maximize your other days. Tues was push day, Weds was pull, and Thurs varied. Sometimes I would rest, sometimes I would do cardio, and sometimes I would work on my arms and shoulders. So yes, the human body is capable of a countless enormity of specific actions that are not covered whatsoever under the header "Lifting".
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up, though cause of the 'can draw back and hold, increasing damage' i would rather see it start at 3d or 4d damage and ramp up..

Also, what happens if someone gets a 'crit fail' roll when making a to hit roll (Nat 1 on wild die, OR all die are 1s)?? Does the 'bow string snap causing the energy package to go boom in the archers face"?
What if someone targets the bow with a melee weapon and hits? What is the bow's resistance vs being damaged?

Can the 'bolt' it shoots be parried by a lightsaber? What of its "Stun bolts"??
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Nice write up, though cause of the 'can draw back and hold, increasing damage' i would rather see it start at 3d or 4d damage and ramp up..

Also, what happens if someone gets a 'crit fail' roll when making a to hit roll (Nat 1 on wild die, OR all die are 1s)?? Does the 'bow string snap causing the energy package to go boom in the archers face"?
What if someone targets the bow with a melee weapon and hits? What is the bow's resistance vs being damaged?

Can the 'bolt' it shoots be parried by a lightsaber? What of its "Stun bolts"??

Thanks for the compliment.

Those are all good questions I might address later. I disagree though that 3D-4D are more appropriate damage bases. Heavy blaster pistols do 5D per round, so I figure the bow can too. If you want more damage, you have to pay for it in time, time in which you can get killed or your target may escape.

How would one write up the bow's resistance to being damaged? Is it like hit points?

Not sure what happens on a wild die 1, I usually don't have catastrophic failure just because of a 1 on a wild die. I just make them remove the 1 and the next highest die too, and the remainder is the roll's total.

I guess the thing could blow up if its user rolled all 1's though...lol.

EDIT: I would say it is definitely possible for a lightsaber to parry an Energy Bow bolt, but at damages 6D and higher, the Jedi parrying the bolt cannot control where he parries the bolt to. Do you know what I mean?

And what do you mean "What of its stun bolt?"
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There doesn't necessarily have to be a risk built into the weapon. The body strength of weapons is usually around 2D or so.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:

Thanks for the compliment.

You are welcome..

Error wrote:
Those are all good questions I might address later. I disagree though that 3D-4D are more appropriate damage bases. Heavy blaster pistols do 5D per round, so I figure the bow can too. If you want more damage, you have to pay for it in time, time in which you can get killed or your target may escape.

THing is this is supposed to be old as heck (based on the "it was the in thing 100s of years before yavin).. 3-4D would be suitable for something that old... That's what i was getting at.

Error wrote:
How would one write up the bow's resistance to being damaged? Is it like hit points?

Naaman answered that part. Most items unless specified are 2d body for Cha scale.

Error wrote:
Not sure what happens on a wild die 1, I usually don't have catastrophic failure just because of a 1 on a wild die. I just make them remove the 1 and the next highest die too, and the remainder is the roll's total.I guess the thing could blow up if its user rolled all 1's though...lol.

Thats what i was more on about. A catastrophic failure to me is one with all dice (or most of them) being 1s...

Error wrote:
EDIT: I would say it is definitely possible for a lightsaber to parry an Energy Bow bolt, but at damages 6D and higher, the Jedi parrying the bolt cannot control where he parries the bolt to. Do you know what I mean?

I like the idea and see where you are coming from, but as per the RAW it matters not the 'damage' of a bolt. A LS can block a hold out blaster or an e-web. The only way to differentiate that is say "when the bow user holds the 'string' for 2 or more rounds, he releases 'additional bolts' that all fire at the same target, increasing damage as per combined actions. Thus you still get the +1d/+2d etc, but cause of the multitude of bolts the Lightsaber wielder can't block them all...

Error wrote:
And what do you mean "What of its stun bolt?"

As per the films, stun bolts generally are rings vice the 'solid bolt' of regular shots, thus again can't be blocked...
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I will take a look at some of that a little closer.

I don't see why the RAW wouldn't permit a rule saying this particular weapon is deflectable only at 5D because after that the bolts get too big (round, cylinder-wise) to redirect accurately. It's like, why can't I redirect a waterfall with let's say a 1m x 1m board? Because the waterfall is too broad. If I wanted to deflect and control a trickle with such a board, it would be way easier.

Also, they're not old technology. They are essentially blaster technology but presented in a different format.

I guess it would have a body of 2D+1 (it's a strong weapon).

The stun bolt...hmm...I liked the blue rings from A New Hope. Let's stick with those. Unblockable, right?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I have always interpreted the skills as being very general in their application. Lifting is one example...

For me, I have always regarded lifting as the measure of the characters overall bodily strength. So, whethee the character is doing pull ups or dragging a wounded friend out of a burning wreck or lifting a rock off his buddy's leg, all of these would trigger a lifting roll in my opinion...

I concur. Don't get hung up on skill names. Change them if you want to. I've changed several. Brawn sounds pretty good to me too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Naaman wrote:
I have always interpreted the skills as being very general in their application. Lifting is one example...

For me, I have always regarded lifting as the measure of the characters overall bodily strength. So, whethee the character is doing pull ups or dragging a wounded friend out of a burning wreck or lifting a rock off his buddy's leg, all of these would trigger a lifting roll in my opinion...

I concur. Don't get hung up on skill names. Change them if you want to. I've changed several. Brawn sounds pretty good to me too.

Lifting becomes Brawn, Guile gets added to Perception...

I actually hijacked and renamed EVERYTHING in the D6 system for a sword-and-sorcery version that I used to GM for my friends. Everything had to change.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe slightly off-topic, but the movie The Humanoid from 1979 actually has a glass-like bow shooting 'blaster arrows' (about 54:30 into the movie).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: