The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New item "Burner Conduit"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> New item "Burner Conduit" Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: New item "Burner Conduit" Reply with quote

I'm thinking of something like this:

Time to use...one round.

A burner conduit is basically a small-single use flash drive that may be plugged into a database or computer to download and transmit a piece of data. All you have to do is plug it in. It automatically downloads the data you want, and then transmits it to a nearby third party (usually someone who is at least within the starsystem). It is mainly used to steal things from starport/shipboard computers such as passenger lists, cargo manifests, the vessels at port, crew dispositions, destination lists, etc.

The beauty of it is that it can only be used once. Plug it in, get the data, and then a single transmission burns out the drive. Hence the name!

Very popular with lay folk and slicers alike. Get yours today!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's its computer prog value, to slice into said database that it is wanting to hack into to steal data?
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What's its computer prog value, to slice into said database that it is wanting to hack into to steal data?

I haven't considered that part yet. What do others think? My first reaction would be the base model can only tap into relatively undefended systems. The question is, what makes the most sense in terms of the game? Should we roll dice for it when we plug it in?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that, unless the device is programmed in advance with the exact location of the data in question, it's going to need some sort of outside guidance to tell it where to look. Anything with the autonomous ability to go looking on its own would likely be too valuable to simply abandon after a single use. Apart from that, the best bet would be to have it simply copy all the computer's data indiscriminately, then burn itself out.

Of course, you could go the other way and have this device contain a nano-droid personality that is essentially software only. The droid would be smart enough to operate autonomously, searching for specific data, then transmit itself out along with the data, leaving only the disposable shell behind.

But again, hardware valuable enough to contain programming that advanced would either be too valuable to be disposable after one use or only used against high value targets...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am allowing some leeway for this being largely a Fantasy universe. Though if we're talking the thing having some kind of smart software and being "too valuable" to abandon, I'm not so sure. Software can be copied ad infinitum and it happens in the SWU too (confer droids). I don't think it would need to be insanely complicated to program it to seek a certain kind of file. Also, I also make the assumption that you can also tell it what to do ahead of time, and it will do it way faster than you will. Perhaps it will require a certain skill to use?

Also, a Burner Conduit must be thought of in terms of "hardpoint access". Instead of sitting at a terminal rolling dice round after round, you get some instant results in a waaay less obvious fashion and there is hardly any proof. Access might even be had at non-terminal points if you want it to be even more valuable and indiscriminate.

I want this thing to be disposable (and expensive), but also worth the investment so PC's will use it. If it fails to meet those criteria then it's not worth investigating. But I think I can make it fit those criteria pretty easily without being broken or complicated to use.

I like the idea of copying and transmitting a whole database. It would make sense to be in "burner" form since you'd need a lot of power for like half a second to scan and send. I'm going to think about that.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
I am allowing some leeway for this being largely a Fantasy universe. Though if we're talking the thing having some kind of smart software and being "too valuable" to abandon, I'm not so sure. Software can be copied ad infinitum and it happens in the SWU too (confer droids). I don't think it would need to be insanely complicated to program it to seek a certain kind of file. Also, I also make the assumption that you can also tell it what to do ahead of time, and it will do it way faster than you will. Perhaps it will require a certain skill to use?

It's important to remember that we're not just talking about software. If you want the software (the droid personality) to be sufficiently sophisticated, it will require hardware processors and memory storage that are sufficiently advanced and capable of operating the software.

So, as capability increases, so does cost. As the cost increases, the less likely it becomes that characters will be willing to use this device for mundane, low-security data theft. Which means the device will also have to have the ability to penetrate security systems and encryption. This means even more expense (from having the autonomous ability to penetrate computer security and perform the appropriate data search) or that it can't be autonomous, and must function more like a remote control, providing access to a slicer who is operating off-site, as it were.

Media concepts that I have seen like this are:
    -In the opening scenes of the movie True Lies, Arnold's character infiltrates a mansion during a party and plugs a USB device into the back of a computer, which allows an off-site hacker to access the computer remotely.

-In the Splinter Cell video game series, this is a central theme, with the central character infiltrating secured locations to provide access for an off-site team via mobile devices connected to a satellite link, or through good old-fashioned snooping.

Quote:
I like the idea of copying and transmitting a whole database. It would make sense to be in "burner" form since you'd need a lot of power for like half a second to scan and send. I'm going to think about that.

This, I think, is the most likely option, if you want this thing to be a disposable device.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The problem is that, unless the device is programmed in advance with the exact location of the data in question, it's going to need some sort of outside guidance to tell it where to look. Anything with the autonomous ability to go looking on its own would likely be too valuable to simply abandon after a single use. Apart from that, the best bet would be to have it simply copy all the computer's data indiscriminately, then burn itself out.

Of course, you could go the other way and have this device contain a nano-droid personality that is essentially software only. The droid would be smart enough to operate autonomously, searching for specific data, then transmit itself out along with the data, leaving only the disposable shell behind.

But again, hardware valuable enough to contain programming that advanced would either be too valuable to be disposable after one use or only used against high value targets...

And also pricy.. Additionally, would the 'nano-droid' programming be even able to get transmitted with the software/info it was after??
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't we perilously close to reinventing data spikes here? Possibly with a wireless interface? I would allow cobbling together a data spike and a comlink with something like a Hard roll.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard?

Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Aren't we perilously close to reinventing data spikes here? Possibly with a wireless interface? I would allow cobbling together a data spike and a comlink with something like a Hard roll.

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Computer_Spikes

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_spike/Legends

Yes, he's pretty much describing a spike.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Zarn wrote:

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Computer_Spikes

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_spike/Legends

Yes, he's pretty much describing a spike.

After reading up on COMPUTER SPIKES (which I'd never heard of prior to this), my thought is that a BURNER CONDUIT would be a species of spike that goes two steps further than just battering down security doors:

- copies the sought-after data
- transmits it

I don't mind the increase in functionality at all, in fact I think the original spike description is what's too "low-powered" for a PC to be interested in.

What looks to be difficult and momentous to us here, external to the SWU, may not be at all.

Examining the consequences of the BURNER CONDUIT as I have outlined, such an event is not as momentous as one might think. What I mean is, even if the basic action is "plug it in and instantly get an actionable list," it's certainly not too powerful for PC's. They essentially pay X credits for documents which may or may not turn out to be useful. For some folks that may seem like skipping a step or two, but like I said, that's only because we all know and use computers and have a vague interpolation of how "possible" such an item would be. That's not the axis upon which I am plotting this device. What I mean is that "real world" considerations are of limited use when discussing a FANTASTIC ITEM.

EDIT: So, basically, does anyone besides me think a Burner Conduit would be FUN? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of figured you'd never heard of spikes, that's why I added the links. Spikes do everything you describe except transmit the data. Instead the data is stored on the spike.

Read through Cracken's Rebel Field Guide for more info on Spikes. Also, check out microthrust computers.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:

Examining the consequences of the BURNER CONDUIT as I have outlined, such an event is not as momentous as one might think. What I mean is, even if the basic action is "plug it in and instantly get an actionable list," it's certainly not too powerful for PC's. They essentially pay X credits for documents which may or may not turn out to be useful. For some folks that may seem like skipping a step or two, but like I said, that's only because we all know and use computers and have a vague interpolation of how "possible" such an item would be. That's not the axis upon which I am plotting this device. What I mean is that "real world" considerations are of limited use when discussing a FANTASTIC ITEM.

EDIT: So, basically, does anyone besides me think a Burner Conduit would be FUN? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Not 'momentus'? Its in essence bypassing any RP or die rolls.. Just pay and 'plug' and bazinga you got what you want..
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Error wrote:

Not 'momentus'? Its in essence bypassing any RP or die rolls.. Just pay and 'plug' and bazinga you got what you want..

Of course it could fail, you could get caught, you could get useless data, and it's certainly an avenue for malicious attacks against the receiving end.

But yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying...plug and play for a handful of documents doesn't seem to powerful to me at all.

Consider also that the PC's are essentially trading credits for efficiency, a theme which pervades all of the WEG SWU. If you want to kill someone without assistance, you'd have to chase them down, tackle them, strangle, etc. Several skill rolls. But if you buy a blaster, you trade credits for efficiency.

Anyway, this is the whole point of brainstorming! Love it.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with it bypassing RP or die rolls. It has a skill rating, for instance.

Data spikes are tools that are best used when you can't get a slicer droid or Ghent with you. If you're a storm commando team or whatever, you won't necessarily be able to babysit something like Blue Max or someone like Ghent - particularly if you're going through a combat zone to get to your slicing target.

Personally, I would also say that data spikes tend to trip whatever security is on the system. Sure, it manages to slurp its data (by the way, the 'real world' attack is often called "pod slurping"), but it wouldn't be flexible enough to avoid tripping alarms - it is essentially doing a DOS attack ("assault systems with garbage data to overwhelm security measures"), which isn't exactly a quiet way of handling things.

I would also make 'em lighter. Having a slicer spike weigh 1 kg isn't exactly ... wieldy. Perhaps the size, shape, and weight of a 2-cell AA Maglite Mini or something - a somewhat fat pen, essentially.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: