The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Searchable planets database?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Searchable planets database?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Searchable planets database? Reply with quote

I am wondering if there is a database anywhere of SWU planets which can be searched by specific criteria, i.e. population, terrain, hydrosphere, etc.

Or is there a book of SWU worlds somewhere?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star Wars Planets Collection 2nd Ed is a book that has about 24 planets in it, along with a Planetary Generation System in it. It's a compilation of the 3 volumes of Planets of the Galaxy for 1st Ed, but revised for 2nd Ed, so you get everything in all 3 of the previous books and updated so you don't have to do any conversions.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However unreliable the information, you can search for planets based on some criteria on starwars.wikia.com.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
However unreliable the information, you can search for planets based on some criteria on starwars.wikia.com.

I've noticed a few comments from people indicating that the information on Wookieepedia (that's the website, right?) is either unreliable or downright bad.

What's the real story? I've used the site extensively for inspirational purposes, and I haven't come across much that looked suspicious. Then again, the only eras I am interested in are the Old Republic and the rise of the Empire. I don't like the Solo family as it has been written and developed, just too many Darths this or that, and flip-flopping from light to dark... And the reeeaaallly old Old Republic crap is a far cry from the SWU I know and love. Like Sith as a race? And why are there so many? It's stupid. /rant

What I can say is that it is obvious that different articles have been written by different people, and it's really annoying that every episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars gets a full step-by-step summary (we're talking like two-three pages worth of minutely-detailed retelling).

But in general, is it reliable? It seems like everything can be verified if it originated in a book or online article...
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen, the biggest issue that people have with Wookieepedia is that their technical specs either don't match up, or make no sense. As far as I can tell, planetary information is somewhat reliable and some of the fluff information on races or groups is as well.

The biggest issue I've seen stems from their information regarding technology and starships.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
From what I've seen, the biggest issue that people have with Wookieepedia is that their technical specs either don't match up, or make no sense. As far as I can tell, planetary information is somewhat reliable and some of the fluff information on races or groups is as well.

The biggest issue I've seen stems from their information regarding technology and starships.

Any technical specs in particular? Nothing has jumped out at me...Dreadnoughts still suck, Executor-class command ships are still 19 km, etc.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose to be more accurate, the biggest issue I've seen raised has been that technical data on starships doesn't make sense or match up.

You'd have to talk with one of the more prevalent board members like CRMcNeill as to specifics. I don't look at the technical data as much, and as such I'm not as concerned. I use it for fluff research and background data for my campaigns.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

I've noticed a few comments from people indicating that the information on Wookieepedia (that's the website, right?) is either unreliable or downright bad.

What's the real story? I've used the site extensively for inspirational purposes, and I haven't come across much that looked suspicious. Then again, the only eras I am interested in are the Old Republic and the rise of the Empire. I don't like the Solo family as it has been written and developed, just too many Darths this or that, and flip-flopping from light to dark... And the reeeaaallly old Old Republic crap is a far cry from the SWU I know and love. Like Sith as a race? And why are there so many? It's stupid. /rant

What I can say is that it is obvious that different articles have been written by different people, and it's really annoying that every episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars gets a full step-by-step summary (we're talking like two-three pages worth of minutely-detailed retelling).

But in general, is it reliable? It seems like everything can be verified if it originated in a book or online article...

Several years ago my wife mandated that my computer desk be on a different floor of our home than my library. I've found that I sometimes don't feel like going down to my library so I instead just look things up online. I've spent waaay too much time reading Wookieepedia over the years.

I occasionally catch errors here and there but I find it to be largely reliable. I'm a bit baffled by all the hate I run into online about it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Several years ago my wife mandated that my computer desk be on a different floor of our home than my library. I've found that I sometimes don't feel like going down to my library so I instead just look things up online. I've spent waaay too much time reading Wookieepedia over the years.

I occasionally catch errors here and there but I find it to be largely reliable. I'm a bit baffled by all the hate I run into online about it.

I guess maybe folks find one or two errors about their favorite SWU stuff and assume the whole forum is rife with misinformation...

I don't get the hate either. I have used it A LOT to find planets to use in my stories and character write-ups.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a store of information, I think Wookieepedia is amazing, but it IS a publicly-edited wiki.

Wikia as a platform used to really get bogged down with their advertisenents, but things have gotten better recently.
Meriba
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a frame, but still with references and some planets detailed. The list of systems is from starwars.com (about 5,100 systems; some are repeated because I included different space bodies from the same system)

SW_planets
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meriba wrote:
Just a frame, but still with references and some planets detailed. The list of systems is from starwars.com (about 5,100 systems; some are repeated because I included different space bodies from the same system)

SW_planets

Very cool, and thank you. I just got my hands on a copy of this:

So far I really like it. It goes into sufficient detail, particularly with the inclusion of charts that list the types, positions, and numbers of moons for each planet in a given starsystem. The Nubus system, for example, names its star, illustrates the planet Nubia, and gives brief notes regarding its four sister planets (some rocky, some gas giants, all either with moons or without).

The book also gives the populations of planets in terms of percentages; Nemoidia for example has 95% Nemoidians and 5% Duros, and it does the same with languages. It's that kind of detail I'm looking for, and paging through a book seems a little easier than digging through Wookiepedia over and over and staring blankly at star charts, and looking up planets I see there one by one.

I do tend to create my own worlds and starsystems for my own stories and campaigns, but in order to maintain decent verisimilitude, such stories and campaigns also need to be splashed with established worlds (and characters) here and there too.

My only b*tch is that the book only covers maybe a hundred worlds. This is out of the thousands and thousands of civilized or settled planets in the galaxy proper. Of course they only had so much room, but a volume II would be greatly appreciated.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: The Essential Atlas Reply with quote

The Essential Atlas is one of my favorite SW books (and I have a rather large collection). I do not at all find the number of planets detailed to be limiting. Unless you run completely freeform campaigns where the players alone dictate where they go and what they do, you really shouldn't need all those details for every single possible world. When PCs go to a planet, they generally visit a very minute fraction of the whole world. You don't have to overgeneralize the planets. Desert planets can have polar oceans and and there can be one weird spaceport suburb that is populated by a species not present on the rest of the planet. The Atlas has enough of the most popular SW planets for comparison and contrast to other SW planets and your original creations, and you can use what is in the book to help come up with details on the fly. Instead of feeling disgruntled that there aren't more planets, I'm thankful for the details we do have, which is a lot more than we had before this.

My complaint is that The Essential Atlas errors I pointed out to author Jason Fry that he advised me at the time were noted for correction in a possible future edition have now unfortunately been canonized in the new canon. Thanks, Mickey!

This was a EU product so don't hold your breath for a Volume 2. Plus this is coming out in December but it's only 80 pages and written for kids.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What errors? Do you have a list of them?

I like to flesh out some of the things in my campaigns a little more than other GM's. A two-page document on a planet is hardly overkill. But I do agree that there are sufficient jumping-off points in the book, and my b*tch is that the GM in me wants ten times as many just to read about Smile
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
What errors? Do you have a list of them?

Unfortunately no. I no longer have the e-mail conversion because that was before I switched to webmail. Off the top of my head, I remember talking about Tapani Sector. I believe there was an incorrect general statement that did not account for Tapani still using hyperspace buoys in the Imperial era.

A more significant error is that there's a hyperspace route called the Shipwright's Trace that ends at Fondor, but the WEG Tapani material states, "The Shapani Bypass and Giju Run are the only known exits to the sector." In the Atlas, The Shipwrights' Trace would be another exit out of the sector besides the Bypass and the Giju Run. And the Trace can't even start at Fondor and loop around outside of the sector passing Mrlsst on the south before going east, because the Atlas portrays it staying north of Mrlsst as it begins east.

I was willing to just let the Atlas be a retcon to the WEG material, but Jason Fry was adamant that the WEG continuity be maintained. His solution was to move the Shipwrights' Trace endpoint to the Shapani Bypass just outside of the Tapani Sector, a little south of Mrlsst (where the "To Thyferra" arrow is on the Tapani map). So from a galactic perspective, the Trace will still let you out very near Fondor, and then you just have to take some connecting routes to get to get there. (I created a new system at that ShipWright Trace's endpoint called New Fondor.) He noted this rerouting for correction in a possible future edition, but now new canon material has already duplicated the error in the Atlas so it's stuck now (the WEG material is no longer canon so there's no conflict now).

Error wrote:
I like to flesh out some of the things in my campaigns a little more than other GM's. A two-page document on a planet is hardly overkill. But I do agree that there are sufficient jumping-off points in the book, and my b*tch is that the GM in me wants ten times as many just to read about Smile

The GM in me just makes up what's not there and fills in the blanks myself. Wink
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: