The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rogue One (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Rogue One (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustflier wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:
I mean, I get setting the mood a touch darker, but there are nothing noble, nothing heroic about this.

Good. It shows just how difficult it is for someone like Luke to actually be heroic, to maintain his moral superiority despite a real and horrible war raging around him.

This is key.

Womprats and everyone struggling with RO's darkness, I ask you to please consider this. Disney lied to us in labeling this film as a "standalone". RO is really meant to replace ANH's opening crawl, and you would never only watch the opening crawl of ANH. RO is meant to be immediately followed with ANH for the full story of the first Death Star. RO is an extended introduction to the story of ANH. ANH alone is not without dark aspects. It has millions of people on Alderaan and Obi-Wan killed before the super-weapon is destroyed and the Rebellion truly has hope of defeating the Empire. Just rewind that darkness to before the story of ANH to a logical progression, and we get the prequel RO. Yes, the Rogue One team all die, but they served their part in the overall Death Star story... Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people...

Similar to how I feel the prequels enhanced the drama of the classic trilogy, RO totally enhances and intensifies the drama of ANH. Even after multiple revisions of ANH, we never got to see Alderaan from the point of view down on the planet getting blasted by the Empire. We only imagined it. We never even saw Leia's adoptive father get killed or even before he died. We saw Leia's depression after the destruction of the planet, and saw Obi-Wan's reactions as he described his feelings of millions being killed. With the darkness of RO, the drama of ANH is intensified. And Tarkin, the only non-Force villain who was important enough to give Vader orders and command the Death Star in ANH before he died, was always a one-trick pony with no mention of the character in the sequels and a brief cameo at the end of RotS. Now with RO, Tarkin is given more background and development leading into ANH.

And ANH likewise gives more meaning to the darkness and sacrifice of the Rebel heroes of RO. There is a pay-off in the end of ANH with the destruction of the Death Star (that began construction during the Clone Wars). There is a new hope for freedom in the galaxy. RO is similar to RotS in that the only happiness in the ending is in hope for the future. In RotS, it's the generational hope that the Skywalker children might be able to someday succeed where the Jedi order failed in destroying the Sith. In RO, it is a more urgent hope to overcome a more immediate problem with the destruction of the fearsome ultimate weapon which makes the Imperial Senate obsolete. Then after the Alliance's first major victory in RO, the story shifts focus back to important characters of the end of RotS (Obi-Wan, Leia, and Luke) as they get involved in the Death Star story.

Despite the Empire still existing at the end and Vader surviving, the original SW still is the most standalone film in the franchise. But RO needs ANH to be complete, RO makes ANH even better, and the conclusion of ANH makes RO's (and ANH's) darkness more worthwhile. A Star Wars movie that does all that where all the main protagonists and their immediate supporting characters all die but is so entertaining is utter genius.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Rogue One, i wish that Tudbot had survived or Cassian and Jyn had sat down on the beach started to hug and then heard a cough cough from behind them and seen a U-Wing hovering there.

Did any one else see the second new TIE ? the bigger version of the striker that was dropping off the death troopers to attack the blind guy ?.

I caught at least two rebels references - the Ghost or at least a VCX Landed at yavin and then 'general Syndulla please report to main briefing room' on the intercom when they are in the hanger after the council says no to the mission.

Vader going all horror movie monster at the end was awesome but i kept looking at the crew of tantive IV going 'and your gonna die, and you, and you....and you in the brown coat ? vader's gonna kill you personally!

Last edited by RedKnight on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree. I was not home five minutes before ANH was in the DVD player.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna see Rogue One within a few days. Between here and TVTropes, I've seen so many spoilers that I feel like I already know the entire plot...but then again, after watching (and reading) ANH so many times, in particular the scene between Vader and Leia on the Tantive IV, both in the movie and the novelization, we can already deduce (and it's stated outright in the novelization) that everyone directly involved in the mission to get the Death Star plans was killed, either by their own hands or by the Empire. So the spoilers saying that Rogue One has a Kill 'Em All ending wasn't that much of a surprise.

I'm still gonna see the movie, of course.

EDIT: Oh, and CRMcNeill, thank you soooo much for the D6 stats on the U-Wing. I already copied those down and saved them.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap what an emotional ride!

Loved it!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be catching it tomorrow morning at either the 10.30am or 11.30 am showing..
jmanski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 4 is a MUST see now...

My 18 year-old son said to me as we're walking out of the theater, "so is this how you felt 30-some years ago?"
Venlyss_Pnorr
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely loved it.

Having said that, I would have thought here would be a place I could likely guarantee everyone would feel pretty much the same because - more than any other SW film to date - it plays out like a WEG adventure.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venlyss_Pnorr wrote:
I absolutely loved it.

Having said that, I would have thought here would be a place I could likely guarantee everyone would feel pretty much the same because - more than any other SW film to date - it plays out like a WEG adventure.

That actually makes sense. Then again, a Star Wars movie that doesn't have the Heroes of Yavin in it is something so new and different, it can't help but feel like a WEG adventure because they usually don't star the Heroes of Yavin either. 8)
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus they felt more like PC's then the Heroes of Yavin ever did (to me at least)

we have:
the Snarky droid played by the person who loves HK
the veteran rebel Intelligence officer willing to do whats needed to win, played by the guy who always plays quiet soldier types
the Blind mystic played by the guy who cant NOT play a force user even when told the DM would like to keep the forces involvement here to a minimum.
the heavily armed former mystic whose lost his faith and puts it more in his weapon, played by the guy who plays the mystics best friend who likes to make characters opposite of his buddies.
and finally we have the tough former rebel fighter turned criminal with a connection to the main plot.......played by the DM's girlfriend in her first time taking a table top game seriously

it ends in a TPK because -some one- flubbed a few pilot rolls.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venlyss_Pnorr wrote:
I absolutely loved it.

With a TPK at the end!

Anyhow. I thought it was frikken OUTSTANDING!!! Loved the plotline, loved the characters, and especially the fights!!
My only gripe was as all were dead, there's no chance of a sequel!
jmanski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TPK made more emotional impact and showed the devotion of the rebellion. They were willing to die to spread hope.

That's how rebellions are won.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from seeing it myself. It doesn't spare the emotional gutpunches, but then, being a war movie about sacrifice, it shouldn't. Definitely a worthy addition to the saga.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know at what point the L-1 tactical droid makes its appearance?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
jmanski

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched ANH again. I'm really impressed at how much the CGI Tarkin and Leia look like they did in ANH. And seeing Red Leader, Gold Leader, and the death of Red 5.... what a way to segway into ANH.

I'm must see it again in the theater.

I think my son summed it up well as the credits rolled. "Well, what have you done with your life?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 2 of 30

Jump to: