The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Galaxy Guide 13 - ROGUE ONE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Galaxy Guide 13 - ROGUE ONE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Galaxy Guide 13 - ROGUE ONE Reply with quote

Is this old news?

I just heard about it.

CLICK HERE FOR ERIC TRAUTMANN'S PAGE

GALAXY GUIDE 13: ROGUE ONE

EDIT: Corrected thread title misspelling
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pssst...."Rogue."
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Galaxy Guide 13 - ROGUE ONE Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Is this old news?

I just heard about it.

CLICK HERE FOR ERIC TRAUTMANN'S PAGE

GALAXY GUIDE 13: ROGUE ONE

Yes, it was discussed here in February: Galaxy Guide 13 by Eric Trautmann, writer of GG6
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And no, it's not Womp Rat Press stuff because I edited the Womp Rat Press Rogue One stuff and I didn't edit this. I mean, geez, take a gander at bottom of the Introduction/Text Crawl: "a weapon that will terrify the galaxy into subjugation"? You terrify people into submission, not subjugation! That the problem with people trying to write fanbooks, they try to sound all erudite and eloquent and then fall flat on their faces when they mix their idioms. Razz

I tell ya, man, reading some of this stuff is like pulling chicken's teeth, if chickens had any teeth to pullwhoooaaaaAAAAHHHHH!

*falls flat on face*

Ow.

Anyway, both versions have damn nice looking covers (but I prefer the mint one).
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
And no, it's not Womp Rat Press stuff because I edited the Womp Rat Press Rogue One stuff and I didn't edit this. I mean, geez, take a gander at bottom of the Introduction/Text Crawl: "a weapon that will terrify the galaxy into subjugation"? You terrify people into submission, not subjugation! That the problem with people trying to write fanbooks, they try to sound all erudite and eloquent and then fall flat on their faces when they mix their idioms. Razz

I tell ya, man, reading some of this stuff is like pulling chicken's teeth, if chickens had any teeth to pullwhoooaaaaAAAAHHHHH!

*falls flat on face*

Ow.

Anyway, both versions have d*mn nice looking covers (but I prefer the mint one).

You realize it is Eric Trautmann, yes?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is it written that Eric Trautman gets a pass for poor word choice? Everybody needs an editor and a proofreader.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Where is it written that Eric Trautman gets a pass for poor word choice? Everybody needs an editor and a proofreader.

But the thing is, this really wasn't meant to be a fan community created galaxy guide for serious use with the game. This was just a quick mock-up just-for-fun nostalgia piece. It deserves a pass for that. We are artificially enforcing a standard on it based on criteria beyond this thing's design. Now if anyone wants to edit it and polish it up for our purposes, then please do so but we would be creating a different version that will then not deserve a pass.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

But the thing is, this really wasn't meant to be a fan community created galaxy guide for serious use with the game. This was just a quick mock-up just-for-fun nostalgia piece. It deserves a pass for that. We are artificially enforcing a standard on it based on criteria beyond this thing's design. Now if anyone wants to edit it and polish it up for our purposes, then please do so but we would be creating a different version that will then not deserve a pass.

This.

The book isn't even complete. It's just the characters.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

This.

The book isn't even complete. It's just the characters.

When I first saw Eric's book, the cover was just so perfect in mimicing WEG's printed SWD6 style that it immediately made me think that it was a pseudo-official supplement book in the style of Womp Rat Press, so you can imagine my disappointment when I saw that only stats for the main characters were in there and thus found out that it was just a nostalgia piece. And despite my tongue-in-cheek nitpicking in my previous post, Eric's book is actually a very good piece of work, especially in its look and format. I may have my issues with a bit of the text, but it certainly almost perfectly looks like a WEG book; Eric deserves praise for that at the very least. (It probably helps that Eric used my favorite color on the cover as well.)

I agree with CRM that having an editor is definitely better than not having one. (As I edited Treefrog's Legacy of the Force fanbook and as I'm currently editing Womp Rat Press' versions of Rogue One, Rebels S3 and Droids, I think I have to agree that having an editor is better than not. Self-interest governs all!) But I can also see Wajeb's and Whill's point that Eric's book deserves a pass since it's not intended for actual game use. Admittedly, I didn't see that it wasn't intended for game use myself as the cover looked so professional. Hindsight is 20/20 after all. Also, I thought that my attempt at self-deprecation in my post would be a signal not to take my critique too seriously.

Still and all, I think both sides are right. CRM is right that it's better to have an editor than not. And Wajeb and Whill are right that in Eric's case an editor wasn't really essential since it's not intended for game use.

But daaaaaaaamn, just imagine if all SWD6 fanbooks had covers like that....
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that ERIC TRAUTMANN's write-up of the characters in Rogue One, he gives Cassian Andor 2 DSP's. And, he gives Baze Malbus 1 DSP.

Cassian--you can tell--is a haunted man in the film. He hurts, inside, from the things he's done in the name of Rebellion. It eats at his soul.

I think 2 DSPs is appropriate for him. He had a chance to go to the Dark Side, but didn't roll that "1" needed. Maybe next time. His heart is heavy.

When Cassian defies orders and goes with Jyn on a noble cause to get the Death Star plans, that quest serves as Cassian's attonement. The man has to go. If not, he knows that he's lost.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Note that ERIC TRAUTMANN's write-up of the characters in Rogue One, he gives Cassian Andor 2 DSP's. And, he gives Baze Malbus 1 DSP.

Cassian--you can tell--is a haunted man in the film. He hurts, inside, from the things he's done in the name of Rebellion. It eats at his soul.

I think 2 DSPs is appropriate for him. He had a chance to go to the Dark Side, but didn't roll that "1" needed. Maybe next time. His heart is heavy.

When Cassian defies orders and goes with Jyn on a noble cause to get the Death Star plans, that quest serves as Cassian's attonement. The man has to go. If not, he knows that he's lost.

Indeed, he even lampshades it/admits it straight up to Jyn in his speech to her on Yavin 4.
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The art design is on point. Wish it had a little more meat on them bones though.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of editing...
    Rogue (noun): a dishonest, knavish person; scoundrel

Rouge (noun): any of various red cosmetics for coloring the cheeks or lips.

Please spell check the title of this topic.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: