The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Playable Species List?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Playable Species List? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in the blazes is a Whovians??
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Fans of Dr. Who.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

A few years ago, I was asking that same question. I found the answer only slightly amusing and more than a little bit dismaying at the same time.

I've gotten over it since. Smile

Scots Dragon wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
The only people more interested in proving their mastery of arcane minutiae of their chosen fandom are those b@st@rd* Whovians.

No, I don't really think Whovians are b@st@rd*. But it amuses me.

I was about to object until I quoted this and saw the white text (which I changed to red here). Then I lol'ed.

My best friend is a Whovian. I try not to hold that against him. Mr. Green

I have lots of friends who are... I was tempted to put Star Trek but was... "Nah, that's too cliche." Wink

*cough*

*carefully hides models of both the USS Enterprise and the TARDIS, covers up a Star Trek technical manual with a Star Wars equivalent*

>.>

<.<

Yes, both of those groups are terrible, terrible people.

Yes, indeed those people are terrible, terrible people.

...Which two groups were we talking about again?

*goes back to pondering how to cover up his multiple bookshelves-worth of Classic World of Darkness RPG books, Star Trek novels and Tolkien books while keeping the Star Wars D6, D20 and EU novels all visible*

I think I'm gonna need a tarp. Or three.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Yes, indeed those people are terrible, terrible people.

...Which two groups were we talking about again?

*goes back to pondering how to cover up his multiple bookshelves-worth of Classic World of Darkness RPG books, Star Trek novels and Tolkien books while keeping the Star Wars D6, D20 and EU novels all visible*

I think I'm gonna need a tarp. Or three.

There's no hiding it for me. I'm a nerd. My son just finished a nine-week class at church on Saturdays, and last week another parent also waiting to pick-up her son said, "You're always wearing something Star Wars. Something different every week." The top shelf of my home video shelf in our living room is Middle Earth, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly/Serenity, James Bond, MCU, Spider-Man Trilogy, Dark Knight Trilogy, Back to the Future Trilogy, and Avatar. (I have plenty other "nerd" movies and TV DVDs.) Downstairs in the finished part of our basement is a nerd cave with one wall all Star Wars decor. Another wall is six 6' bookshelfs full of books. Over one bookshelf is all Star Wars and one is mostly various RPGs. Most of the rest of the books are nonfiction so my nerdiness extends beyond even fiction. And on top of all the bookshelves are action figure displays. There's no tarp for all that! I just embrace my nerdhood. But as you can see, I have no room for another franchise. Doctor who?

garhkal wrote:
Never see/read that spec edition Trilogy sourcebook. And as for Wookie.. Just like the Wikipedia site it is based off of, just cause it says so, does not automatically make it so..

It also does not automatically make it not so...

MrNexx wrote:
Which is why you check the footnotes. Pretty much everything there is sourced... as in, they will tell you where they found the information, and in what books, movies, or other sources that information was obtained. They may not do a full citation (CMS4lyf), but they'll at least tell you what's going on.

Seriously. Folks who dismiss Wikipedia (and Wookiepedia) out of hand simply haven't looked at how thorough they are. I mean, they're Star Wars nerds. The only people more interested in proving their mastery of arcane minutiae of their chosen fandom are ... Whovians.

I spend too much time reading Wookieepedia. I have a lot of the original sources, so sometimes I do consult the original sources to assess the veracity of the articles, and I find the site to be accurate to a very high degree, probably a percentage in the high 90s. And I have done a few edits myself.

If you don't hardly read Wookieepedia and speak ill of it, that's prejudice. garhkal, why don't read it and gain an educated opinion?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause to me, the novels, Weg books and films are all i feel is needed. Comics, cartoons, etc.. Too much...
Heck, wasn't it the comics that brought us the whole crapola that is the 'rakata' being behind things like the maw cluster, center point station etc?
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Cause to me, the novels, Weg books and films are all i feel is needed. Comics, cartoons, etc.. Too much...

That's cool, but you can pick and choose what you read on Wookieepedia so you can always disregard the stuff you don't get into.

garhkal wrote:
I never read anything indicating the Endor system was full of navigational hazards. Let alone it was set up as a preserve of sorts

You don't expect us to only provide information from the stuff you have read, do you?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Heck, wasn't it the comics that brought us the whole crapola that is the 'rakata' being behind things like the maw cluster, center point station etc?

That was I think the game Knights of the Old Republic, by BioWare. A really good game for something based on d20, but ultimately suffering from BioWare's usual need to throw in some kind of ancient progenitor species plot that started with Neverwinter Nights.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:

That was I think the game Knights of the Old Republic, by BioWare. A really good game for something based on d20, but ultimately suffering from BioWare's usual need to throw in some kind of ancient progenitor species plot that started with Neverwinter Nights.

Hence my dislike of it!
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:
garhkal wrote:

To be fair to Bioware on the Progenitor species thing, they've always been present in FR... the Creator Races were a thing before NWN.
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Erm. The Celestials (aka "The Architects") were behind all those things. The predate the Rakata. And they originated in the Corellian Trilogy novels, if I'm not mistaken.

The Rakata are entirely separate beast. They came from the incredibly well-written and award-winning Knights of the Old Republic RPG. It may not be your cup of tea, but an entire generation of gamers remembers KotOR fondly. So much so, in fact, that it spawned a single-player sequel, comics, multiple novels, and an MMO.

It might be a little easier to keep track of if you were interested in fact-checking via Wookieepedia.

Scots Dragon wrote:

I think that, as presented in KotOR, the ancient progenitor species plot was well done and provided a powerful and appropriate macguffin for the protagonist to find. It added to the mysticism of the era and made things feel legitimately old.

garhkal wrote:
Hence my dislike of it!

Wait, you dislike a game you didn't play because it had a progenitor species? Do you just not like the concept, or... what? And is that why you don't read the wiki?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole 'progenor' concept..
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progenitor concept?

Apart from the shark-analogue in Star Wars, that's also a part of Star Trek, http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Preservers

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my SWU, I know where the Celestials came from, what they were before they were the Celestials, how they became the Celestials, something of the Celestials' purposes, and what happened to them. That's important to where certain species came from, how some came to be, and how some migrated to different worlds. In my SWU, Mon Calamari are descended from the Rakata (but don't tell the Quarren that Mon Calamari are ancient aliens and not native to Dac).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Progenitor concept?

Apart from the shark-analogue in Star Wars, that's also a part of Star Trek, http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Preservers

I know it was in trek, which is why some of the latter Shatner novels i didn't like anywhere near as much as his earlier ones..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while we're talking about Precursors, let's not forget that waaaay back when Star Wars was just a gleam in George Lucas' eye that he called the Journal of the Whills, the Whills themselves were immortal beings who recorded the events of Star Wars into their Journal.

Hell, in that concept, it was R2-D2, of all people, who was narrating the entire Star Wars saga to the Whills!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: